Safeway 10 off 100 Visa

Anh

Level 2 Member
Valid 6/18 - 7/15

T&C says VGC are excluded, but not yet confirmed. Will try it on Wednesday (if the "right" cashiers are working on that day) and report back. Even if VGC's aren't allowed, it's still a great deal if you have the right card.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
This looks like previous SW offers where the register automatically spits out a coupon, so I'd be surprised if you'll get one with a variable load purchase. But I suppose it could be miscoded....

And any manager reading the fine print won't just give you a courtesy $10 refund, as they did for me with another such offer that was supposed to take $10 off your purchase price immediately and did not have variable load exclusions.

I will check my SW flyer and try it at a local store too, and will report back. Thanks, Anh, for the head's up.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Is there a limit on how many times you can do this? If you buy more than 1 x $100, do you get multiple coupons? (I assume no) My WF card is just used to large purchases now LOL -- I avoid "small dollar" purchases like buying $20 or $30 with WF.

And is there a minimum purchase for the $10 off coupon? They were running the cheesy $10 off next shopping trip for 3rd party gift cards like Sephora, Lowes (but there was min spend of $25 for the $10 off).

Anh

Level 2 Member
Is there a limit on how many times you can do this? If you buy more than 1 x $100, do you get multiple coupons? (I assume no) My WF card is just used to large purchases now LOL -- I avoid "small dollar" purchases like buying $20 or $30 with WF.

And is there a minimum purchase for the $10 off coupon? They were running the cheesy $10 off next shopping trip for 3rd party gift cards like Sephora, Lowes (but there was min spend of $25 for the $10 off).
Not really any limit except for one per transaction. Even though it might say that it is per safeway club account, my experience has always been that you can just buy it without the safeway club account and coupon still prints out. In fact, the moment they scan the card, the coupon prints out. So even if you abort the transaction, the coupon is already printed (but good luck trying to convince the cashier to give you the coupon when you abort the transaction)

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I've gotten multiple coupons when they ran this promo last spring. Just be sure to ring up each GC separately. I usually toss in a banana or a yogurt too if I am not already buying groceries anyway. I have also bought a GC, and then used the coupon immediately on the next order. But it does not take off the $10 on another GC - you need at least $10 in groceries. It also excludes wine and liquid dairy products (milk).

So:
Buy GC + yogurt > get $10 off coupon
Buy GC + at least $10 in groceries > use $10 coupon and get another coupon
Ad infinitum or until you or the cashier call it quits

Check the SW flyer or your Just4You online for groceries / paper goods / other GCs that might be on sale, or may offer extra fuel points, and you'll find enough items to spend the $10 while turning this into $1 off per gallon of gas pretty quickly.

aegt

Level 2 Member
Saw it in So Cal flyer too. I doubt Variable GCs will work, but it would be great if they do.

Haley

I am not a robot
This is a Catalina deal, isn't it?

I skipped the most recent one and the one about a month ago for the Am Ex gift cards because I hate $100 Am Ex gift cards, way too much trouble to drain. The one before that was the Spring deal, same as this. That was also fixed value cards only and $10 off next purchase.

I throw in a $500 variable load, so $100 fixed value plus $500 variable load (or $399 if $500 and over is a pain). $4.95+$5.95 in fees matches up pretty well with the $10 coupon. I was able to apply the $10 off towards activation fees last time, but it will not work if you buy two $4.95 fee cards. Needs to be no lower than $10.

aegt

Level 2 Member
I was able to apply the $10 off towards activation fees last time, but it will not work if you buy two $4.95 fee cards. Needs to be no lower than $10.
No way. Are you saying that if I purchase a $100 and a $500 gc, I can apply the $10 voucher towards the $4.95 and $5.95 fee?

Haley

I am not a robot
No way. Are you saying that if I purchase a $100 and a $500 gc, I can apply the $10 voucher towards the $4.95 and $5.95 fee?
Worked on the Spring offer. Have not tested it yet, the kids being out of school slows me down and makes grocery store with no grocery purchase much harder.

fulthrust7

Level 2 Member
In the pat I have been able to get variable loads and get the $10 printout. I will try today. Worst case is I walk away with $25 in CB and a $5.95 fee. Times are tough for testing.

Anh

Level 2 Member
In the pat I have been able to get variable loads and get the $10 printout. I will try today. Worst case is I walk away with $25 in CB and a $5.95 fee. Times are tough for testing.
I tried yesterday, no coupon for variable

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
This is a Catalina deal, isn't it?
Yes.

Here's my experience. I bought two bananas and a $200 VGC. I used three $50 Amex GCs plus a portion of a $100 Amex GC (all of which I had gotten at Office Depot last week when they were $15 off). The Catalina coupon machine spit out 2 $10 coupons! I am not sure if that was because I paid with so many swipes, or I got $10 for each $100 in VGCs, or perhaps the last person didn't take theirs...? I didn't even realize it until I had walked away and saw two $10 coupons, back to back.

I then did some more shopping, tossed in a VGC variable load card, and went through again. The variable did not result in a $10 coupon but I was able to use both of the $10 coupons I had gotten earlier (by doing two transactions for my groceries). Then I went to Customer Service, to ask if I should have received a $10 coupon for the variable VGC. I did not specify that; just held up the card and said "should I have gotten a $10 coupon for this?" The clerk looked at the ad, saw that the packaging in the ad matched the packaging on the card in my hand (you know, the silver gift-wrapped present), and handed me $10. Had I not been in a hurry, I would have surely reviewed the fine print with her, to get us all a definitive answer to this aspect of my research on your behalf ;) . But alas, I was running late by then and had to hustle. You know how it is when you have ice cream in your cart in the summer....

So I think that variables are not supposed to get you a coupon, and the Catalina machine will not spit them out, but clerks who do not look at fine print might give you one, or offer to take off $10 on your purchase.

Tomorrow I will try again, buying a $200 GC, to see how many $10 coupons it generates. No more variables for me with this promo. My research is done. ;)

Last edited:

pointsaholic

Level 2 Member
I bought a 200.00 VGC in the DFW area and got 2 10.00 coupons back. paid 6.95 fee and got 20.00 back. Came back and bought 3 more. Didn't try to use the 10.00 on the fee. Will have to find some ice cream - (real ice cream) or something else worth $3.00 and see if I can use the coupon. Good deal!

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
I purchase a $100 VGC in a NoVA Safeway last night because the $200 ones had a sticker that said "cash only." Didn't matter though because the Catalina printer didn't spit out any $10 coupons. The Manager gave me a "rain check" coupon for $10 after I showed him the advertisement.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Bought 2 $200 VGCs in separate transactions today. One spit out 2 $10 coupons; the other just 1. Manager gave me a SW GC for $10. So either the Catalina machine hiccuped, or they corrected it in between my two transactions....? Will keep trying! But I am very happy making $13.05 per $200 plus points. Got some fresh, wild sockeye salmon and fresh white corn with the $10 coupons (used 2, with two separate transactions) which we will enjoy immensely tonight!

Lotta Travel

Level 2 Member
Bought 2 $200 VGCs in separate transactions today. One spit out 2 $10 coupons; the other just 1. Manager gave me a SW GC for $10. So either the Catalina machine hiccuped, or they corrected it in between my two transactions....? Will keep trying! But I am very happy making $13.05 per $200 plus points. Got some fresh, wild sockeye salmon and fresh white corn with the $10 coupons (used 2, with two separate transactions) which we will enjoy immensely tonight!
I had a similar experience here in Socal. Got 2 coupons at 3 stores for one $200 and then had to get a manager to give me a GC since nothing emerged from the machine on the last round. She claimed to have plenty of paper in the machine, who knows. Wondering if they're keeping track with the store card # or if they just put a limit on yesterday. Anyone tried it today?

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I had a similar experience here in Socal. Got 2 coupons at 3 stores for one $200 and then had to get a manager to give me a GC since nothing emerged from the machine on the last round. She claimed to have plenty of paper in the machine, who knows. Wondering if they're keeping track with the store card # or if they just put a limit on yesterday. Anyone tried it today?
Just sign up for another rewards card for your "mom" or SO ;) Note: it takes a week for it to be active.

aegt

Level 2 Member
In So Cal my wife got $10 off $25 min spend few hours ago while I got $10 off $10 on Friday. Very weird.

Lotta Travel

Level 2 Member
In So Cal my wife got $10 off $25 min spend few hours ago while I got $10 off $10 on Friday. Very weird.
Probably not worth the time but you could show the manager the weekly sales where it says $10 off $10 purchase. The deal was when it was generating 2 10s, maybe that's what freaked them out and they're trying to make up for it.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I plan to bring the $10 coupon that was printed from the other day to show the manager if I get the lame $25 min coupon. It's super shady for them to change the requirement.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I plan to bring the $10 coupon that was printed from the other day to show the manager if I get the lame $25 min coupon. It's super shady for them to change the requirement.
I'd bring in the ad, not last week's coupon. It plainly says $10 off on next purchase. But if this is the new normal, it does make it harder to scale up.

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
All my checkers love me whenever I buy Reloadits, Univisions, and Paypowers at bigger profits, so I'ma just keep smiling and shopping...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
All my checkers love me whenever I buy Reloadits, Univisions, and Paypowers at bigger profits, so I'ma just keep smiling and shopping...
Meanwhile, on a completely separate note, whenever I see your username I jump in ready to stop some dodgy Russian Spambot... and it turns out that it really is a person that thought zceuxbhjutf was catchy...

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I'd bring in the ad, not last week's coupon. It plainly says $10 off on next purchase. But if this is the new normal, it does make it harder to scale up.
It seems similar to AmEx learning their lesson from December's insane sync BP promotion ($5 off $25 fill-up) which was unlimited. This time, AmEx made it a one-time use. LOL

aegt

Level 2 Member
It happened to me again yesterday at a different Vons in So Cal. I am going to try one more time today near LAX. In any case, I am definitely going to call the Catalina company and try to get my vouchers changed to $10 off $10.

Lotta Travel

Level 2 Member
I've been using up my $10 off $10 with mixed success. The managers don't believe that Catalina changed the deal so that is why the $10 off $10 doesn't work now. I bet that it has to be overridden regardless. Most of them haven't seen these so I guess it wasn't broadcast on the blogs that much.. or it's because they ran out of the $200 cards so quickly.

aegt

Level 2 Member
I've been using up my $10 off $10 with mixed success. The managers don't believe that Catalina changed the deal so that is why the $10 off $10 doesn't work now. I bet that it has to be overridden regardless. Most of them haven't seen these so I guess it wasn't broadcast on the blogs that much.. or it's because they ran out of the $200 cards so quickly.
$10 off $10 never worked automatically. I tried using my $10 off $10 right after I got it and they still had to do it manually.

Tess

Level 2 Member
There is a $10 off next purchase of $25 groceries with usual limitations if you buy $100 or more Visa Gift cards available now until July 14th, 2015. I only see 2x on gift cards as being offered, but with each that I purchased today (3 $100 in 3 separate orders), I earned 4x gas points. Purchasing 2 in one order does not spit out two coupons as it has in the past. Ad states that variables are not included; did not try.

Edited this morning: ad in weekly flyer shows Spend $75 get 30cents off per gallon in gas rewards. I assume this is where the 300 extra points came from then (on each of th $100 card purchases), as it was labeled shopping bonus. The T&C for this June 24- July 7th only grocery bonus states is it only on groceries (gift cards specifically excluded) and limited to 1 offer per customer, though if this is where those 300 extra gas reward points per purchase came from, neither was true yesterday.

Last edited: