Rolling Stone Article about One Mile at a Time/Ben Schlappig

santafereader

Level 2 Member
On his site, after this article really got going, Ben said he didn't know where the "This guy travels for free" headline came from, since he tries to point out on his site that there is always a cost of some sort to travel (credit card spend to get a bonus, manufactured spend, etc.) and he didn't say that, per se, in the interview. If that's true, I'm sure someone at Yahoo! or Rolling Stone thought that sensationalist headline would generate more clicks/views. That said, it doesn't sound like he phrased his words in the interview very carefully to attempt to prevent this sort of headline in the first place. I do think it's mostly harmless stuff in the article, but the way some of it comes off might get some executives riled up....

oso

Level 2 Member
+1 on the sensationalist writing. Also wish he didn't seek this publicity but that's what keeps this going right? e.g., TPG is on TV, quoted by Visa adverts, etc.

Not sure what to make of this. Reminds me of this post on Justin Ross Lee onemileatatime.boardingarea (dot) com/2015/03/17/this-is-why-people-hate-travel-hackers/

Thanks, OP. I stumbled across his Instagram when we both tagged Andaz WeHo and was wondering who was this showing a magazine spread.

smittytabb

Staff member
On his site, after this article really got going, Ben said he didn't know where the "This guy travels for free" headline came from, since he tries to point out on his site that there is always a cost of some sort to travel (credit card spend to get a bonus, manufactured spend, etc.) and he didn't say that, per se, in the interview. If that's true, I'm sure someone at Yahoo! or Rolling Stone thought that sensationalist headline would generate more clicks/views. That said, it doesn't sound like he phrased his words in the interview very carefully to attempt to prevent this sort of headline in the first place. I do think it's mostly harmless stuff in the article, but the way some of it comes off might get some executives riled up....
If any of you have ever been interviewed, quoted, or otherwise dealt with the press, you know that one has little control of the final end product. I totally believe it if someone says that what they see in print or other media is nothing like what they said or implied.

TheBOSman

Staff member
If any of you have ever been interviewed, quoted, or otherwise dealt with the press, you know that one has little control of the final end product. I totally believe it if someone says that what they see in print or other media is nothing like what they said or implied.
Headline was almost certainly written by an editor too and not the article writer. Editors: the original practitioners of clickbait!

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
I've known people who insisted on a written agreement that they be allowed to review and edit, negotiate and approve, prior to publication. I think that's the smart thing to do - after all, theoretically at least, if the story is about you, it should match your reality.

smittytabb

Staff member
I've known people who insisted on a written agreement that they be allowed to review and edit, negotiate and approve, prior to publication. I think that's the smart thing to do - after all, theoretically at least, if the story is about you, it should match your reality.
Good practice: always advisable, but not always available...

Miles to the Wild

Level 2 Member
I have no idea how an Aussie breakfast show got involved but he had a 2 part interview over 2 days. (Link broken on purpose) https://au.tv.yahoo dot com/sunrise/video/watch/29020809/how-frequent-flyer-ben-schlappig-travels-the-world-without-paying-a-thing/#page1

I though the first part was hilarious because the Aussie hosts seemed totally clueless about how to use their own QF points! They would have a healthy supply with the kind of job they do! Sadly, the majority of Ben's techniques are useless to Aussies as they can't get US credit cards. But at least people who know me (and know I'm a dual citizen) will realize that this is how I get so many miles and points they can't get. The Aussie version of The Hobby is more about buying points in Lifemiles (previously USDM was the hot property) and sometimes AA if there's a promo going on and getting F or J for the price of Y.

We still don't have MS here, but we do have category bonuses to maximize. There may be Aussies doing the resell thing but I never got involved with that.

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
Yes, I guess I've never envisioned myself needing publicity so badly that I'd be willing to forgo control of the facts....but I guess others do what they feel is good for them....journalism is an interesting trade IMO.

Tricia

Level 2 Member
Just read the article. If I was not already involved in this hobby, I would think it was too complicated, that I wasn't smart enough and that it wouldn't apply to my type of travel/vacations. The journalist must of really earned Ben and his family's trust to get some of that information. There seems to be a deep underlying sadness to his life. I hope he finds what he is looking for.

smittytabb

Staff member
And thinking the best years of one's life are the mid 20s is a myth for sure. All I can say is I do not consider Ben's existence to be a sad one. Indeed he has lived a life where he has had an unusual amount of agency from a very young age and has made certain choices that are his own. Has he dealt with some tough issues, certainly. But c'mon, the truly sad lives I know of look quite different from his.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I can't help but chuckle at the comments on his blog that say something like "please stop this exposure. It's bad for us. Please go back to the way you were." Yeah... I put more money on DL becoming transparent first.

What's interesting to me is the Exploitation Cycle (TM): people like us exploit banks for sign up bonus and MS, then bloggers exploit the game for their gain (via publicity and revenue). Now bloggers are being exploited by the press for their gain, which will almost certainly trigger the banks and airlines to close loopholes, including CC bonus (as Chase & Amex has done). In the end, the first victim (banks) prevails. The press also comes out on top. Bloggers and we lose. I'll be glad I got in when it was good.

People who think they can exploit banks in perpetuity and not have karma return are... adorable.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
I can't help but chuckle at the comments on his blog that say something like "please stop this exposure. It's bad for us. Please go back to the way you were." Yeah... I put more money on DL becoming transparent first.
Genie is out of the bottle and there is no turning back. I would take Delta transparency happening first.

I've tried to ignore this entire episode, but it's wildfire spread has made that impossible. I am very judicious as to who I share my MS and travel hacking pursuits with, but I've been flabbergasted by the number of friends, colleagues, and family who have reached out after consuming the RS or Nightline pieces. "Now I understand" is the common refrain. Of course they don't.

We're witnessing the creation of the first real media rock star of the game. Sure, Randy has had more media exposure than anyone, and TPG was able to use some mainstream media to cash out, and GLeff--well, a picture is worth a thousand words on that one. But Ben--good looks, perfect age, photogenic, smart & articulate--...he's perfect for the story they want to tell! I can only imagine the number of newbie cc conversions he will end up with this month and August. Cha-ching!

It will be fascinating to see how long the legs are on this, and the unpredictable impacts it will have on Boarding Area and other bloggers. Never underestimate the power of jealousy and greed. How will G Leff take Ben totally eclipsing the self-proclaimed "Thought Leader"--and every other blogger on BA.? Or, will the rush of newbies to OMAT be a rising tide for all the other ships on BA? Inquiring minds want to know!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Connected to the above 'competition' I saw a post earlier about miles earning debit cards (not a debit card in sight, saved you a click) and noticed the blogger copies in the banks when he writes about anything, hoping for a retweet I guess....

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
@Hanaleiradio lol. People at my office and friends have this vague idea that I know something about travel and frequent flier miles. But I've gotten multiple questions this week asking if I've heard of Ben, or if I'm a Hobbyist. I try to stare back blanky and end the conversation, but I don't like where this is going.

TheBOSman

Staff member
It will be fascinating to see how long the legs are on this, and the unpredictable impacts it will have on Boarding Area and other bloggers. Never underestimate the power of jealousy and greed. How will G Leff take Ben totally eclipsing the self-proclaimed "Thought Leader"--and every other blogger on BA.? Or, will the rush of newbies to OMAT be a rising tide for all the other ships on BA? Inquiring minds want to know!
For better or worse, Ben has the best personal story of any of the higher level bloggers IMO. In terms of a RS article type of exposure, his story would be the most interesting one to tell.

That said, they should interview me :D. I only flew 200,000 miles per year over the past few years, haven't been living out of hotels, and certainly no stories about FAs treating me "extra special" and nor do I hand out hundreds of dollars worth of chocolates (a simple thank you seems to go just as far if not further...), but do a long-form interview with me, put some makeup on me for photos and interviews and I'd be a halfway decent looking chap to top it off!

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
this:

http: // nypost (dot) com/2015/08/04/how-one...most-for-free/

and this:

http: // nypost (dot) com/2015/08/04/5-secre...es-like-a-pro/

Auntie

I read his response also. After seeing RS try to make a rock star out of a terrorist, I put no stock in anything they print. I no longer read their rag and I doubt I'll ever go back.
That being said, I give Ben credit for admitting the "idiot" comment was a stupid thing to say and he was WAAAY too trusting of the reporter. If I recall correctly, he was told he would get to read the piece before it was printed and that never happened. I'm not surprised that those d-bags at RS misled him.
Stupid? Yes. Stupid for even agreeing to the article? Being lured in by thoughts of fame and dollar signs? Yes and Yes. Punk and a shite? That's not the vibe I'm getting.

SomeRandomGuy

Nerd, Poet, Warrior
"The darker element of the Hobby is said to network at these events." - Who knows what evil lurks in the the hearts of Dos?

Spending most of time your time on planes and in airports (and the rest apparently blogging about it), yuck, that guy leads a really bleak existence.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
It's not a life I envy at all, but I have benefited greatly from his detailed reviews of travel-related stuff, so I'm thankful he does what he does. Hopefully he is enjoying it.

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
To me, the definition of a bleak existence would be working to pay off a mortgage, living within the confines of a HOA, dealing with my kid's school and shlepping back and forth every day through rush hour traffic just to sit in some cubicle farm all day, with frequent visits from a boss wearing an ugly tie telling me that he's going to need me to come in on Saturday.

but hey, to each his/her own.

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
yes and thankful for that! Unfortunately, I've had too many complain to me about their trap in the Office Space scenario and never once heard a complaint from anyone involved surface-skimming travel, maybe because one version appears more common , at least the view fom the outside (?)

TheBOSman

Staff member
yes and thankful for that! Unfortunately, I've had too many complain to me about their trap in the Office Space scenario and never once heard a complaint from anyone involved surface-skimming travel, maybe because one version appears more common , at least the view fom the outside (?)
Considering I've vacillated between one and the other in some ways, the surface-skimming travel is way more fun than Office Space :D. But, like most of us, currently pursuing somewhere in the middle...

Billiken

Level 2 Member
My company (international investments) will not allow a print article/interview unless we have final edit authority.

Mark Pepper

Having read the article, I actually found it refreshing in that he opened himself up and laid it on the table. Some of it cool, some sad. But my view is that no one gets to define what makes us happy. If Ben's playing within the boundaries of what's legal and allowed, who are we to say it's a sad way of living one's life. The same could be said for the person who drags themselves to work everyday, sits in that desk, and repeats the cycle for the next 30 years. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing that he won't be doing this in a few years. It's an experience, and he was willing to go for it. Good for him.

As for Ben giving away the secrets and making fun of the very companies he patronizes (or rips off), we all know that they know what's going on with these loopholes, manufactured spend, etc. And they're slowly closing the window on us, starting with revenue based frequent flier miles, award devaluations, closing down of Serve/Bluebird accounts, etc. But the airlines will find new ways to remain competitive and attract loyalty, and the hobbyists will find ways to exploit the system. In a way, it's another facet that makes this whole hobby so exhilarating.

TheBOSman

Staff member
My company (international investments) will not allow a print article/interview unless we have final edit authority.
In Ben's case, they probably wouldn't have bothered to do the article then. He's a relatively big fish but in an extremely small pond, he probably doesn't have enough pull for RS to give him that.