Rethinking AX Platinum

HanoiIG

Silver Member
OK, conventional wisdom says card is valuable but I am trying to figure whether to keep or not. My wife has one also. The $200 airline credit is not so easy to get, especially on UA. We can switch but we rarely have the add-on fees. I know 5X on airfares is good, as is the Uber credit and the odd lounge visit.

The bonus points with AF and others can be useful but I don't want to book travel just to get a bonus. There are always costs involved. We have CSR which only gives 3X for airfares but how often am I booking cash fares and what will even 4000 points do for us?

dockers

Level 2 Member
Do you Uber or use Uber Eats? Can you find some cheap clothes or home goods at Saks?

Cancel your plat when the AF is due. Open another one in December. Get 3x200 travel credit, 250 in Uber credit, and 200 in Sak's credit, plus the MR bonus. Rinse and repeat next December.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
I generally use some of the Uber credits and am about to use Saks when we go to NY in August.Not sure if online works as there would be shipping. The travel credit is difficult because we go for years without having to pay for luggage or other incidentals. Now that Travel Bank is gone or suspended I don't know how to use it on United. Could change next year but still difficult. As for the ploy of cancelling and reupping. Don't you think they will catch on if they haven't already? I did get some other perks like 20000 from AF and some Amazon deals for paying with one point.

I did get Hamilton tickets back when it was difficult and could have made $$ except we had to sell the 3rd and 4th to friends at face :) Just evaluating