Retention on Ink cards

Miles to the Wild

Level 2 Member
I'm getting close to my anniversary on my Ink Plus. I'd like to at least get the annual fee waived as some people on FT have been getting. I just don't want to risk having them call my bluff and close it. I've done retention calls before but only on cards I was happy to cancel if I didn't get something. I'd rather lose my right arm than this Ink Plus, I need those categories for my everyday spending! How do I phrase this to Chase?

I was also thinking of going for the United Biz card 50,000/$2000 spend but I really don't have a lot of revenue. I do have good history with Chase.

Which should I do first, apply for the United Biz or go for the retention on the IP?

My last AOR was Aug 2013, I pretty much have been through all the cards I would want now. I can't MS so prefer to keep spending requirements to a minimum.

fulthrust7

Level 2 Member
On my IB, they offered me a $95 annual fee waiver (this was within 30 days of being billed). On my wife's, I got lazy and called 4 months later (after having paid it) I think, they offered 10K miles after 5K spend, in addition to the 1x earned with 5k (so 15K with $5k spend). I took it, as the alternative was nothing. They wouldn't waive the fee so many months out.

Dangjr213

Level 2 Member
The annual fee on my wife's card just hit this week, so I'll report back after she makes the call. I told her if they call her bluff on canceling the card ask them what happens to the UR points after you cancel. They'll say you'll lose the points tell them you need time to speak to your SO to decide where to transfer them and call back.

As an older data point, I called in for my ink bold a few months ago; they offered a $95 statement fee or 10K points.

bk3day

Level 2 Member
Despite a steady spend, I got no retention offer for my Ink Plus.

Given how quick the agent was to cancel the card, I should've hung up & called back. However, after the 10+ minute hold time to reach an agent, I was kind of annoyed & just agreed to the cancel. I had just gotten a new Bold so it wasn't as if I really needed to keep that card anyway.

Miles to the Wild

Level 2 Member
That's what I am afraid of. I don't have a lot of confidence in getting another Ink card so I can't afford to lose the one I have.

Does anyone here have the United Biz card? Was it hard to get, harder than an Ink card? I am surprised no one mentions them much, 50k United miles for $2000 minimum spend is pretty good! But if I got the $5000 in 3 months for 10k offer on the Ink Plus, I wouldn't be able to do the United spend in the same 3 months. I can't MS in Australia, I can only prepay my everyday expenses and travel expenses.

bk3day

Level 2 Member
Maybe someone else can chime in with industry insight but I've always assumed that underwriting policies for all Chase business cards are the same? In any event, you should apply for whichever card has a minimum spend you can meet & has benefits that you need.

Not sure why you think you wouldn't be able to get another Ink? Fwiw, I've held 3 ink cards successively over the last 3 years. First, the Bold then cancelled that after I got the Ink then canceled that card after I getting my current Bold card.

This last time, I was fully expecting to get asked why I needed both Ink cards when speaking to an agent (while checking on the status of my application) but that question never came.

ETA: as prior posters said, it's quite easy to halt an imminent cancel by hanging up or claiming a need to think it over. In my case, I just couldn't muster the energy to bother.

Miles to the Wild

Level 2 Member
Expats are different and I barely squeaked through last year getting the Ink and the Freedom. The Ink reconsideration guy really grilled me and only let me through as I had credit which could be moved over from the CSP. Since we had a trip planned to the USA last year, I did major AORs so have quite a few hard inquiries. Barclays won't give me the time of day, let alone an Arrival card in spite of my high Fico and 100% on time payment record for almost 30 years!

I can't MS in Australia so my usage isn't very high. I think banks view me as someone who is reliable and not a risk but not very profitable either so why bother giving me more cards. In order to make a $5000 minimum spend I have to pre-pay my utilities for 4-6 months in advance.

My husband is not American so can't get an AP account, let alone any credit cards on his own.

If I could MS and run $5000 a month through my cards it would be a different story as the banks would see me as an active high-spending customer who always pays on time.

Alan

Level 2 Member
Ink Bold: Offered 10K URs for 5K spend in 3 months, but no waiver of the $95 annual fee. I declined. Could use the 5K spend elsewhere.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Ink Bold: Offered 10K URs for 5K spend in 3 months, but no waiver of the $95 annual fee. I declined. Could use the 5K spend elsewhere.
This is what my husband was offered when he called a month or so ago. Said he had to think about it. The fee actually hits in August, so we will try again. Maybe the offer will be different once the fee actually hits the account; seems I ran into this once before with another bank (maybe Barclays....? not sure). But I plan to move his UR points to my new Ink Bold first, just in case. We don't need two Bold accounts and I'm not sure the 10K URs are worth the effort to MS the 5K. Gotta do the math and figure in my time. I will post back in August with what happens.

WalletSlot

Reached out to my Chase Private Client banker and Ink fee was waived. I only wish it was so easy with the CSP fee.

szamboti

Level 2 Member
i also got the 10k UR offer for a $5k spend in 90 days. My other ink card they offered me nothing on. Its definitely not a sure thing you will get any retention offer.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
I took the 10K for $5k offer. I hate doing biz apps since my biz activities are minimal and Ink is a great card.

The 5X and the ability to get retention offers makes Ink>CSP IMHO.

farbster

Level 2 Member
My wife was just offered some kind of spending bonus if she kept the card. They would not waive the fee as they had done so the year prior. We like the card for business purposes, so we'll keep it anyway.

Miles to the Wild

Level 2 Member
I finally made the call and got the same spend $5000 get 10,000 bonus as others have reported! I had no intention of cancelling this card so I'll take what I can get. Spending period starts 21 July until 19 Oct.

uchilaw13

Level 2 Member
I'm a client of JPMorgan's Private Banking arm and called one of the associates on my client service team. He wasn't able to unilaterally waive the annual fee, but he apparently pushed the right buttons within the JPMorgan/Chase machine, and I ultimately got the fee waived no problem (and it wasn't going to hit for at least a couple months).

Ryan U

Level 2 Member
I also was only given the $5k for 10k points. I took that offer and stopped by staples and the simon mall customer service center within a week.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
This is what my husband was offered when he called a month or so ago. Said he had to think about it. The fee actually hits in August, so we will try again. Maybe the offer will be different once the fee actually hits the account; seems I ran into this once before with another bank (maybe Barclays....? not sure). But I plan to move his UR points to my new Ink Bold first, just in case. We don't need two Bold accounts and I'm not sure the 10K URs are worth the effort to MS the 5K. Gotta do the math and figure in my time. I will post back in August with what happens.
Don't close it. Downgrade it to Ink Cash and continue milking it.

Chris

Here's a fresh data point. I called about 3 months after the fee was charged and was not able to get the fee waived. However, the rep was willing to give what sounds like standard promo of 10K UR pts after $5k spend in 90 days. The interesting twist was I had to wait 10 days after the call before offer went into effect.

MarcusBWI

Level 2 Member
I called in the day the annual fee hit. They waived the fee. I probably put about $40k on the card in 2014, and probably 90% of that at Staples.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
How does one start the conversation about getting the fee waived for Ink Plus? My anniversary is coming up...

MarcusBWI

Level 2 Member
How does one start the conversation about getting the fee waived for Ink Plus? My anniversary is coming up...
Chase (like all credit card companies) is completely set up for it.

I did an app-o-rama in the beginning of January last year. Meaning, I have a ton of annual fees coming up. I called the main customer service line of Chase (should be printed on your card) and told the guy that I'm looking at my portfolio of credit cards, and I have a bunch of annual fees. "I really need to pare back on cards because I don't want to spend $500 on fees. So unfortunately I think I'm going to have to cancel this one."

A lot of cards have a retention department, but I haven't found that to be the case with Chase. Generally when they pull up your account, when you mention canceling, their computer will show the rep any offers that you are eligible for. They'll rattle off the current benefits of the card, but if that doesn't keep you, they'll give you whatever offer their computer gives you.

When I called, the whole process took all of 5 minutes, and everybody ended up happy.

idearr

Level 2 Member
Ink Plus annual fee hit earlier this week. Probably $15,000 spend per year, 3/4 in 5X categories. Offered $95 statement credit. Took it.

crapz1

Level 2 Member
Took 3 calls for my ink plus but finally got it waived. The first two they called my bluff but that's because I asked about canceling. The csr on the 2nd call said they could only offer me waivers if i actually called with the intention of canceling. I transferred all of my UR to my freedom and called back the 3rd time stating I wanted to cancel because of the AF. I was immediately offered a waiver. My back out plan if they did not offer one was to ask if I would lose my pending points for current statement by closing. They would say yes and I would then tell them that I would call after points posted to cancel

Imagvir

Level 2 Member
I think the best way is to get a retention bonus and pay the fee and then close the card and get the fee back!
Chase personal cards can get an AF refund up to 6 months later. Idk about biz

fr33b13

Silver Member
I think the best way is to get a retention bonus and pay the fee and then close the card and get the fee back!
Chase personal cards can get an AF refund up to 6 months later. Idk about biz
That works if one doesn't want to keep the card, but the Ink is a nice card to have to pay those expensive cell phone and internet bills.

I think the 5% cash back on just those bills pays for the card itself.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Took 3 calls for my ink plus but finally got it waived. The first two they called my bluff but that's because I asked about canceling. The csr on the 2nd call said they could only offer me waivers if i actually called with the intention of canceling. I transferred all of my UR to my freedom and called back the 3rd time stating I wanted to cancel because of the AF. I was immediately offered a waiver. My back out plan if they did not offer one was to ask if I would lose my pending points for current statement by closing. They would say yes and I would then tell them that I would call after points posted to cancel
I like the idea of transferring UR points to Freedom, so I can take a similar approach. I personally do not want to close my Ink Plus card ... and having reapply, given Chase may scrutinize new applications. I don't MS hard on my Chase cards...I do generate real spend at Staples through Stapling with their Free After Rebate stuff (wish I had applied for this card a lot earlier).

thehawk75

Well, I managed to get the AF waived on both my IB and IP cards during my call... Then a week later Chase decides to go and cancel all my CC accounts and my bank account with them. Ok, I don't think that action had anything to do with my retention fishing expedition, but, the timing was funny...

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I'm a noob when it comes to AF's... Called Chase and told them I wanted to close my account. Representative asked my reason...I told him while I love the benefits of this card, the annual fee was the primary reason. I told him I have AmEx business card Simply Cash) that doesn't charge an AF. The nice representative said he'll see if there were any retention offers.. he just waived the annual fee :)

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
I'm a noob when it comes to AF's... Called Chase and told them I wanted to close my account. Representative asked my reason...I told him while I love the benefits of this card, the annual fee was the primary reason. I told him I have AmEx business card Simply Cash) that doesn't charge an AF. The nice representative said he'll see if there were any retention offers.. he just waived the annual fee :)
Nice! Played that leverage with the Amex well. Kudos. Didn't sound like a noob there! :cool:

Belisarius

Level 2 Member
Don't be afraid to hit them twice. Call a few months into the life of your card, get the 10K UR for 5K spend promo (I did this for Bold and Ink Plus simultaneously), then call back again around annual fee time to get fee relief, a points grant or another spend promo.

Agree with advice above - it helps a great deal to leverage AMEX biz specifically as it's their #1 competitor in the space. Your US Bank threats will not resonate.

No matter their first offer, my response is "That's interesting. What other offers do you have?"

Also, as incredibly stupid as this sounds, sometimes simply changing your verbiage can yield a result.

"Can you waive my annual fee please?" No sir, the system simply doesn't allow it. I'm sorry.

Silence.

"OK, how about a statement credit in the amount of the annual fee?" Absolutely. I'll do that now.