Reservations from multiple agencies to guarantee vehicle type

Tyler2

Level 2 Member
When wanting a specific type of car during a high demand period, I have successfully reserved from multiple agencies to ensure receiving the car type that I want.

Feel free to tell me if this is a bad idea, but since car rentals can be made with zero obligation, why not book many reservations for the same type of vehicle at once? Rent from who has the type of car you want at the cheapest price, then call and cancel the reservations that you won't use out of courtesy.

Since I am under no obligation to rent, and since the car rental company will gladly not deliver the type of car that they had promised, I don't see this as unethical.

Specifically, I wanted to rent a minivan in Orlando over Spring Break. Knowing that this particular car would be in high demand by other families, I hedged my bets and rented from three agencies. Sure enough, the first was happy to give me two separate vehicles for the same price, but had no minivans. The second agency had one and I went with them. Normally I wouldn't have cared about the vehicle type, but I was traveling with my family and the grandparents and one vehicle reduced the complications. Also less gas and parking costs.

Anh

Level 2 Member
When wanting a specific type of car during a high demand period, I have successfully reserved from multiple agencies to ensure receiving the car type that I want.

Feel free to tell me if this is a bad idea, but since car rentals can be made with zero obligation, why not book many reservations for the same type of vehicle at once? Rent from who has the type of car you want at the cheapest price, then call and cancel the reservations that you won't use out of courtesy.

Since I am under no obligation to rent, and since the car rental company will gladly not deliver the type of car that they had promised, I don't see this as unethical.

Specifically, I wanted to rent a minivan in Orlando over Spring Break. Knowing that this particular car would be in high demand by other families, I hedged my bets and rented from three agencies. Sure enough, the first was happy to give me two separate vehicles for the same price, but had no minivans. The second agency had one and I went with them. Normally I wouldn't have cared about the vehicle type, but I was traveling with my family and the grandparents and one vehicle reduced the complications. Also less gas and parking costs.
I have done this a couple times, but not so much for reserving the car type that I want. What happens is that I frequently use a very good AWD on Avis but I don't work for that company (let's not discuss the ethics of that here, we have beaten this horse to death as well on some other forum so I'm not interested in that discussion :p). I have never been denied a car at Avis, but I always have a backup reservation with Hertz or some other rental agency in case Avis denies my reservation. Once I pick up the car at Avis, I call the other rental company and cancel it

fulthrust7

Level 2 Member
I have done this a couple times, but not so much for reserving the car type that I want. What happens is that I frequently use a very good AWD on Avis but I don't work for that company (let's not discuss the ethics of that here, we have beaten this horse to death as well on some other forum so I'm not interested in that discussion :p). I have never been denied a car at Avis, but I always have a backup reservation with Hertz or some other rental agency in case Avis denies my reservation. Once I pick up the car at Avis, I call the other rental company and cancel it
i was denied ONCE (state of FL code). They ended up offering me a lower price without the code. it was an odd experience.

Haley

I am not a robot
I always book multiple reservations.
For a mini van at MCO try National Emerald Aisle, I've seen them there multiple times.

Your best bet is to reserve early, keep an eye on it, and check at the 60,45,30 day out points, then I check almost daily. 30 day is often my best rate.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod

Seinfeld Car Rental... Don't have anything productive to add, but makes me think of this