Repositioning Cruise for Good Value

CKaway

Level 2 Member
One of my favorite sites for daydreaming about travel is www.repositioningcruise.com. I took one of their $99 cruises from Colon, Panama to Fort Lauderdale and what a riot. The ship was 1/2 full so very comfortable but there was no shortage on food, entertainment, or service. I would highly recommend taking a look at some of their really interesting itineraries with excellent prices for most trips. It's also fun to look at some of those very long and expensive itinearies and really dream. When you go to the web site, click on "show me the deals". You'll have to put in your email. You can sort the list in all sort of ways, by cost, by # of nights, by ship, by departure port, date, etc.

Attachments

CKaway

Level 2 Member
Thanks for this. Combine with a frequent flier airfare redemption and we've got a cheap getaway.
You are so right. We were able to do an open-jaw, flying into PTY and returning from FLL, reducing the cost of airfare significantly. But using miles would be even cheaper! Thanks.

AlohaDaveKennedy

Level 2 Member
Cool. I have used VTC for years and never knew about this division. Repositioning cruises are great for those of us who have the time to cruise often. I'll actually be taking a CDF this weekend and might take CDF and Pullmantur repositioning cruises just to practice my Spanish. With more people in South Florida speaking Spanish than English, being fluent in some form of Spanish is important. South Florida is like living in South America, except that we use dollars here and can more easily manufacture spend.

pointsaholic

Level 2 Member
One of my favorite sites for daydreaming about travel is www.repositioningcruise.com. I took one of their $99 cruises from Colon, Panama to Fort Lauderdale and what a riot. The ship was 1/2 full so very comfortable but there was no shortage on food, entertainment, or service. I would highly recommend taking a look at some of their really interesting itineraries with excellent prices for most trips. It's also fun to look at some of those very long and expensive itinearies and really dream. When you go to the web site, click on "show me the deals". You'll have to put in your email. You can sort the list in all sort of ways, by cost, by # of nights, by ship, by departure port, date, etc.
I think they stopped doing that MIA - Colon repositioning.

If you have found one, let me know. I wish I would have gone when they had those.

CKaway

Level 2 Member
I think they stopped doing that MIA - Colon repositioning.

If you have found one, let me know. I wish I would have gone when they had those.
I do not see it on the list so they must have stopped it. I am looking at the LAX/SFO up the West Coast to Vancouver for around $200. Sounds like an interesting one. Thanks.

MilesAddict

Level 2 Member
There is one on Holland America starting at $149! But Princess and Norwegian have them as well. Hmm, I am seeing a 14 day cruise from the Dominican Republic to Barcelona for $119! What?!
It's deals like this that make me wish I was FIREd already and had plenty of time to travel whenever. A good incentive to keep my eyes on the prize.

14 days for $119 - that's $8.50 per day (excluding taxes/fees) for accommodation, meals, and entertainment. Sign me up!

lancemahn

Level 2 Member
Ahhhh, taxes and fees.... ;-) Still, would be a neat way to get off the grid and redesign the next stage of life. We're currently semi retired and just got back from
Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman for a week for 440 including Taxes and Fee's. Advertised prices was 229ish. Add to that a 186.00 post to our onboard account on day 3 (sort of a 'push' tip) and you have the real $'s. My brother elected to tell them to 'take the charge off', and they did, most don't know it's optional. He wanted to give the cash to who he wanted re: tip. We chose to leave it on as it was a reasonable distribution, we felt, after visiting with some of the folks who actually are given it-or so we were told by those we asked.

CKaway

Level 2 Member
Ahhhh, taxes and fees.... ;-) Still, would be a neat way to get off the grid and redesign the next stage of life. We're currently semi retired and just got back from
Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman for a week for 440 including Taxes and Fee's. Advertised prices was 229ish. Add to that a 186.00 post to our onboard account on day 3 (sort of a 'push' tip) and you have the real $'s. My brother elected to tell them to 'take the charge off', and they did, most don't know it's optional. He wanted to give the cash to who he wanted re: tip. We chose to leave it on as it was a reasonable distribution, we felt, after visiting with some of the folks who actually are given it-or so we were told by those we asked.
Good suggestions. Yes, you have to consider all the taxes, port fees, tips, etc. Starting at $119 for a 14 day cruise is a great place to start however :)

CKaway

Level 2 Member
It's deals like this that make me wish I was FIREd already and had plenty of time to travel whenever. A good incentive to keep my eyes on the prize.

14 days for $119 - that's $8.50 per day (excluding taxes/fees) for accommodation, meals, and entertainment. Sign me up!
Yeah, two weeks is really tough when we're working. That is why I've done the 3 day ones. Don't know if you saw the site but it is www.repositioningcruise.com, then where it says "show me the deals" you type in your email address and the list will come up. You might have to register your first visit but after that you just type in your email to see the list. You can sort it by price (which is where I usually start), or by any other category. (date, ship, port, number of days, etc). No, I'm not affiliated in any way with them. Just love the list for dreaming about traveling.

Dangjr213

Level 2 Member
There is one on Holland America starting at $149! But Princess and Norwegian have them as well. Hmm, I am seeing a 14 day cruise from the Dominican Republic to Barcelona for $119! What?!
Woah wish I had the time off to pull the trigger in this

CKaway

Level 2 Member
Looks like the inside cabins are gone at $119 but you can get ocean view for $180. Since the cruise isn't until April, the price will probably go down again.

lancemahn

Level 2 Member
Good suggestions. Yes, you have to consider all the taxes, port fees, tips, etc. Starting at $119 for a 14 day cruise is a great place to start however :)
Hell Yeah, didn't mean to knock it! This could be a great way to a sort of modern day 'walden pond getting off grid deal'....w/ room service. ;-)

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member
I just booked a HAL cruise on Saturday for this coming Monday. $799 for 11 nights with a partial transit of the Panama Canal. Of course, we don't have the great stateroom with balcony but we have an obstructed view but at $799 (plus port charges) that's a great deal!

MilesAddict

Level 2 Member
As I was torturing myself (read: looking at cruise deals that I can't possibly take advantage of) today, noticed a great repositioning cruise deal on CDF:
  • 14 Night Santo Domingo, DR to Barcelona departing April 11 for $125 inside, $190 oceanvie

CKaway

Level 2 Member
I just booked a HAL cruise on Saturday for this coming Monday. $799 for 11 nights with a partial transit of the Panama Canal. Of course, we don't have the great stateroom with balcony but we have an obstructed view but at $799 (plus port charges) that's a great deal!
Wow good for you!

CKaway

Level 2 Member
As I was torturing myself (read: looking at cruise deals that I can't possibly take advantage of) today, noticed a great repositioning cruise deal on CDF:
  • 14 Night Santo Domingo, DR to Barcelona departing April 11 for $125 inside, $190 oceanvie
I saw that same cruise; it was a bit higher, but what a deal. It's very fun to daydream about it.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member

MJonTravel

Level 2 Member
Since the topic is repositioning cruises - there is a reasonably good deal available from Royal Caribbean right now for the 10/25/15 Allure of the Seas repo from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale. With our Diamond + discount it worked out to about $67 per day, per person for us. I told my wife that it costs us more to sit in our house. :) Twelve night sailing with only one port, so not a good "starter" cruise. But if you're looking for reasonably priced balcony cabins on a ship that is a marvel of engineering (IMO), it's pricing fairly well right now. Could go even lower for all I know. When we booked, we were paying just over 3K, and were' down to 1600, all in at the moment.

smittytabb

Staff member
Thanks OP for this thread. Just booked a Silversea from the Vacations to Go Repositioning site. It is the continuation (more or less) of a cruise I had started two years ago and the ship had major issues and we had to go home mid-cruise (not this line, but another). I got compensation for the missed part of the cruise in money back and a free cruise which I have already taken Istanbul to Istanbul. The repositioning that I booked costs a fourth of what the second half of my cruise would have been, so this is a great value.

CKaway

Level 2 Member
Thanks OP for this thread. Just booked a Silversea from the Vacations to Go Repositioning site. It is the continuation (more or less) of a cruise I had started two years ago and the ship had major issues and we had to go home mid-cruise (not this line, but another). I got compensation for the missed part of the cruise in money back and a free cruise which I have already taken Istanbul to Istanbul. The repositioning that I booked costs a fourth of what the second half of my cruise would have been, so this is a great value.
Wow, that is really great news. Glad you were able to find a cruise that worked and was a good buy!

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I've been looking at vacations to go. There's some great opportunities. Based on the post in Jan, it sounds like if the price drops you get the lower price? I have heard the repositioning cruises can be "long" as there's not the crew, entertainment, or ports like regular cruises. I'm pretty sure my dh and I could entertain ourselves.

smittytabb

Staff member
I've been looking at vacations to go. There's some great opportunities. Based on the post in Jan, it sounds like if the price drops you get the lower price? I have heard the repositioning cruises can be "long" as there's not the crew, entertainment, or ports like regular cruises. I'm pretty sure my dh and I could entertain ourselves.
Not always. Some are just called repositioning because the ship is going from one major area that is seasonal to another. A lot of ships do this and it does not always mean you get less. Sometimes there are more days at sea, but not always.

CKaway

Level 2 Member
The price gets lower as the date of departure gets closer but the price is the price you pay when you book. No money back if the price goes down. They do sell out sometimes so you have to judge what is best for you.
The cruise I took was a 3 day cruise so they're not all "LONG" cruises. There are plenty of 2-3 day cruises. Also, there was no skimping on food, entertainment, service or anything, it was top notch even though the ship was about 1/2 full. Full crew, awesome entertainment, great food.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Thanks, CKaway. That's good to know about the prices and the repositioning cruises. It won't be next year, but maybe the following year we can go on one!

CKaway

Level 2 Member
Thought I would update this thread with some recent finds. There is a 15 night Panama to Lisbon offer for less than $300. It includes alcohol and makes stops in Colombia and the Caribbean. Another is a 6 night from New Jersey to San Juan this October, also around $300 with stops in St. Maarten and St. Thomas. http://www.repositioningcruise.com/ticker.cfm?sort=v&r=41&sns= Click on "show me the deals". Sort by price, # of nights, sailing date, etc.