Rental car bonuses for companion pass qual?

Jmendoza

I was wondering if anyone knew if rental car bonuses counted for Companion Pass qualification? 2,400 point bonus for a rental, so I'm considering renting a car for a week to earn a bonus in order to complete my Companion Pass.

Thanks!

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I have no personal experience with this, but I would suspect they would qualify. Shopping Bonuses are and Dining Bonuses are as well. I believe just about the only thing that isn't is direct UR transfers.

Allen Chung

Level 2 Member
Per the Southwest T&Cs: "Points purchased for personal use or as a gift, transferred points, points earned from program enrollment, Tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and Partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass Qualifying Points."

So rental car bonuses aren't explicitly called out...so I think so!

Jmendoza

I did some reading into it and only 600 bonus points would count no matter what the total bonus is. So for a 1 day rental you would receive 600 bonus points (on top of what you spend), but for a week rental you would get 2,400 points bonus. However only 600 points would count towards companion pass in addition to what the rental costs. So I feel like its not that beneficial toward a companion pass. I read this on the details of the car rental bonus page. Thanks for everyone's response.

FindAWay

Level 2 Member
I did some reading into it and only 600 bonus points would count no matter what the total bonus is. So for a 1 day rental you would receive 600 bonus points (on top of what you spend), but for a week rental you would get 2,400 points bonus. However only 600 points would count towards companion pass in addition to what the rental costs.
The bolded has been my experience over several rentals in the past. However, I'm not sure what the "in addition to what the rental costs" means - unlike other airline miles, RR points earned in connection with a car rental are flat - i.e., a $19/day rental = 600 points...but, a $109/day rental also = 600 points.