RelayRides

SC Trojan

Level 2 Member
Anyone have any experience with RelayRides (as a renter)? I'm considering renting an SUV from them for a trip to the mountains. My biggest concern is whether or not my insurance would be covered. I get the feeling if I try to explain what it is to my insurance company they will not be able to understand it. Perhaps I should just say I'm borrowing a friend's car...

They also have a service where you park your car at an airport and they rent it out to people. Sounds like a good idea, but of course you have to be willing to let people use your car, which for me would be a deal breaker. If I had a car I didn't care much about though, I might do it...

SC Trojan

Level 2 Member
Definitely makes me think twice about listing my car. Personally, I was more interested in renting one as the idea of a stranger driving my car is not something I like. A lot of people "beat up" rental cars and I don't want that type of driving on my car.

I looked into the insurance a bit. RelayRides give you insurance with a $2,500 deductible for 15% of the rental rate and a $500 deductible for 40%. While 40% is quite a lot, I might just sort of "bake" that into the base rate and say that's how much the cost is, for some older model cars it's still not a bad deal.