Rejection Bank of America

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I guess it had to happen. I applied for an Amtrak Visa and they rejected me because I recently got Alaska Airlines card with $18K line. I asked if they could move some but they said it wasn't an option.

I think they do this so that I won;'t just use the airline card for that particular purpose but of course I like to use the ones that help me the most.

I was hoping for the 20K Amtrak points and to use it for my train travel. Fortunately, my wife has an Amtrak card which I can use.

lochquel

Level 2 Member
I guess it had to happen. I applied for an Amtrak Visa and they rejected me because I recently got Alaska Airlines card with $18K line. I asked if they could move some but they said it wasn't an option.

I think they do this so that I won;'t just use the airline card for that particular purpose but of course I like to use the ones that help me the most.

I was hoping for the 20K Amtrak points and to use it for my train travel. Fortunately, my wife has an Amtrak card which I can use.
No other reasons for rejection? Too many inquiries in last 6, 12 or 24 months?

Cory

What's your open credit with them/other banks versus your reported income? I didn't think BOA was as touchy about inquiries as other banks...

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
What's your open credit with them/other banks versus your reported income? I didn't think BOA was as touchy about inquiries as other banks...
Just 18000 on Alaska card. I asked if that could be lowered but they won't do it.

gasman

Level 2 Member
I just got off the phone regarding a Merrill Lynch card (you know, the 50k offer seemingly taunting you) and the remarkably professional and well-trained rep let it slip that my having 4 new accounts within the past 6 months was past their limit set in policy for approving new accounts. The whole point of the phone call was due to EX being frozen and needing my permission to run another bureau (ultimately TU, although I didn't care). The frustrating part of this is that he only mentioned the policy AFTER RUNNING AN INQUIRY. You read that right. He knew the age of my accounts before calling me, ran my credit, lauded my score, then promptly denied me on the grounds described above. I offered to reallocate my credit lines to facilitate an approval, but as @Hanoi @Hanoi IG described above, it was not going to happen. It looks like I should have waited another 2-3 months before applying, then hit it like it owed me money. I hope this lesson will allow for others to be successful without a wasted inquiry.

dr0832

Level 2 Member
Why didn't you lower your credit limit on the Alaska card prior to doing the app for the Amtrak card?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Why didn't you lower your credit limit on the Alaska card prior to doing the app for the Amtrak card?
Scroll up! I said I asked them to do that but they refused. Regardless, all of a sudden soon after, the card appeared in my mailbox and I quickly earned the bonus, for what it's worth. Although TPG claims Amtrak points are very valuable, nearly all of our travel is on the Keystone route so it would cost a lot more with points than with the Senior fare. Hoping to find a nice trip to use our points some year.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I know they can but as I said, I asked and they said they wouldn't do it! I'm not making this up. Never mind, life's too short