Reasons Club Carlson is Awesome

Mingy

Level 2 Member
I ran into my first resort charge with Club Carlson. The Radisson Blu Malta Golden Sands seemingly charged a 25 Euro per person per night resort fee. I say seemingly because it doesn’t look like I ended up having to pay it, though I think they wanted to charge it. There was no mention of a resort fee when I booked (though Club Carlson standard language says subject to hotel fees).

When I checked in, they put a hold on my credit card for incidentals, so we could charge to the room. They also put a separate charge for 200 Euro, which they said was 50 Euro per night (which I assume was per person) for all guests. However, when I checked out they applied both the incidentals and the fee towards my final bill.

There may have been some language barrier issues, and I misinterpreted what the 200 Euro was for. But it would seem odd to pre-authorize two different amounts of money at check-in both to be used to cover room charges.

Has anyone seen any resort fees with Club Carlson at other hotels?

TheBOSman

Staff member
Why is Club Carlson awesome? How about 150,000 points to stay 3 nights at the Radisson Blu Sydney over New Years Eve, when paid rates are almost 800 USD a night, and SPG doesn't want to give out the nights on points at their hotels. And this year, I have the credit card so it will only run me 100k points for 3 nights :D.

Mingy

Level 2 Member
Also, both Radissons in Malta were the first times I had a hotel do the 15% off food and beverages for Gold members. To be honest, I didn't even remember that this was a benefit and I have never asked at a prior property. I only accidentally stumbled upon this by trying to pay with my Club Carlson credit card and having the bar give me 15% off. The website says it is available at "participating" properties. So I don't know if previous places I stayed didn't do it, or it was my fault for never asking. Has anyone else gotten/not gotten the 15% off?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I stayed in the Radisson Blu Bangkok for for nights in mid may using my and my SO club Carlson card and was underwhelmed. The property had a neat vibe but the rooms are rather boring. Reminded me of stating in a holiday in express or Hampton inn with a little but nicer decorations.

The lounge and executive floor weren't open yet when i stayed so unless those are really nice, I probably wouldn't stay again.

t

I
I don't stay in CC properties expecting to be wowed at all- it's purely about low cost rooms- anything that turns out to be nice enough (like Basel and Lurcene) is a bonus.

If you want nice, Hyatt is my big chain choice, but you ain't getting anything like the value unless you work out price per point vs paying cash for the same room.

TheBOSman

Staff member
I don't stay in CC properties expecting to be wowed at all- it's purely about low cost rooms- anything that turns out to be nice enough (like Basel and Lurcene) is a bonus.

If you want nice, Hyatt is my big chain choice, but you ain't getting anything like the value unless you work out price per point vs paying cash for the same room.
Radisson Blu in Sydney is rather nice, though indeed I haven't seen many (any?) CC properties that even approach the Park Hyatts I've stayed at (Sydney, Melbourne, Dubai, and Shanghai, but who's counting? :D). Radisson is very similar to Hilton's Doubletree brand, which has a high level of variance between properties. I've seen a similarly high level of variance in Radissons and in Radisson Blus in terms of hotel hard product, to borrow a term from the airline end of things. None bad, but not all the same level either.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Radisson Blu in Sydney is rather nice, though indeed I haven't seen many (any?) CC properties that even approach the Park Hyatts I've stayed at (Sydney, Melbourne, Dubai, and Shanghai, but who's counting? :D). Radisson is very similar to Hilton's Doubletree brand, which has a high level of variance between properties. I've seen a similarly high level of variance in Radissons and in Radisson Blus in terms of hotel hard product, to borrow a term from the airline end of things. None bad, but not all the same level either.
They beat some of the <fill in blank> stations that I have slept in during my time.

Miles to the Wild

Level 2 Member
I ran into my first resort charge with Club Carlson. The Radisson Blu Malta Golden Sands seemingly charged a 25 Euro per person per night resort fee. I say seemingly because it doesn’t look like I ended up having to pay it, though I think they wanted to charge it. There was no mention of a resort fee when I booked (though Club Carlson standard language says subject to hotel fees).

When I checked in, they put a hold on my credit card for incidentals, so we could charge to the room. They also put a separate charge for 200 Euro, which they said was 50 Euro per night (which I assume was per person) for all guests. However, when I checked out they applied both the incidentals and the fee towards my final bill.

There may have been some language barrier issues, and I misinterpreted what the 200 Euro was for. But it would seem odd to pre-authorize two different amounts of money at check-in both to be used to cover room charges.

Has anyone seen any resort fees with Club Carlson at other hotels?
Yes, there was a resort fee at Radisson Tahiti last month. Off the top of my head it was around 1300 XPF per night. The real issue with this hotel is the location, a pita if you want to get there outside of regular bus hours 6am-ish to 5:30pm last bus back. We did get a nice upgrade to a suite and I only have silver status since I got the lesser credit card.

WalletSlot

When purchasing Gold Points, has anyone found a way to accelerate the posting of the points vs having to wait 3 to 5 days? Thanks.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yes, there was a resort fee at Radisson Tahiti last month. Off the top of my head it was around 1300 XPF per night. The real issue with this hotel is the location, a pita if you want to get there outside of regular bus hours 6am-ish to 5:30pm last bus back. We did get a nice upgrade to a suite and I only have silver status since I got the lesser credit card.
I am staying there in September. Too bad about the resort fee. Here's hoping I get the upgrade at least. I am CC Gold...

smittytabb

Staff member
We stayed at the Mayfair in. London last Feb. we did not switch rooms but they asked us to go to the front desk to check out and check in on the second night. The Mayfair is in a very good location! Walking distance to Buckingham palace.
Got in on a 50,000 point redemption for two nights there in November. Locked it in before the devaluation. Looking forward to it!

smittytabb

Staff member
So far my favorite two night redemption was at the Radisson Blu Bosphorus in Istanbul (Ortakoy). We splurged and went for the upgraded business class room (75,000 points) and our room was right on the water. It was incredible and totally worth the extra points. We just sat enjoying our wine and nuts amenity (CC Gold) and enjoyed the terrific breakfast buffet included as well.

Reactions: RRD

RRD

Level 2 Member
So far my favorite two night redemption was at the Radisson Blu Bosphorus in Istanbul (Ortakoy). We splurged and went for the upgraded business class room (75,000 points) and our room was right on the water. It was incredible and totally worth the extra points. We just sat enjoying our wine and nuts amenity (CC Gold) and enjoyed the terrific breakfast buffet included as well.
Smitty - We were in Istanbul two weeks ago and I never thought of Radisson. We stayed at Intercontinental which was not bad but not as great as yours was. To top it, breakfast was $40 pp.

smittytabb

Staff member
Smitty - We were in Istanbul two weeks ago and I never thought of Radisson. We stayed at Intercontinental which was not bad but not as great as yours was. To top it, breakfast was $40 pp.
If you get the business class room on the water, it is just super. We also stayed at the Grand Hyatt with our yearly certificates (2) for a two night stay and that was a nice property as well, right near the Intercontinental. Our stay coincided with the one year anniversary of Gezi Park, so it was eery seeing all the police in the park from our vantage point during breakfast in the lounge. We really preferred the Radisson because of our location and ability to watch the boats right on the Bosphorus. It is out of the way, but I really liked the Ortakoy part of town. I have also used Marriott points to stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Istanbul as well. Have been to Istanbul four times and it always fascinates...

Mingy

Level 2 Member
When purchasing Gold Points, has anyone found a way to accelerate the posting of the points vs having to wait 3 to 5 days? Thanks.
You can try calling and asking them. There's a chance they may front you the points.
If you are concerned about availability disappearing in the 3 to 5 days, you can book a refundable standard room, and then when you have the points call and ask them to switch the room from paid to points. I don't know if this would work with premium rooms since there is no policy that if it's available, it is bookable like there is with standard rooms.

DarcyMae

I don't stay in CC properties expecting to be wowed at all- it's purely about low cost rooms- anything that turns out to be nice enough (like Basel and Lurcene) is a bonus
Amen. When I'm traveling alone, I don't give a fig about fancy. I want a safe and clean room with free wi-fi. Breakfast nice but not necessary. Once those requirements are met, I want to spend as few points a possible. Outside of Priority Club Point Break rooms (5K/night) you can't beat Club Carlson for low point opportunities, especially on two night stays.

One thing about the Club Carlson credit card that no one's mentioned yet is that when you pay the annual fee ($75) you get 40,000 points posted to your account with no further spend on the card. WELL worth the $75 in my opinion.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Amen. When I'm traveling alone, I don't give a fig about fancy. I want a safe and clean room with free wi-fi. Breakfast nice but not necessary. Once those requirements are met, I want to spend as few points a possible. Outside of Priority Club Point Break rooms (5K/night) you can't beat Club Carlson for low point opportunities, especially on two night stays.

One thing about the Club Carlson credit card that no one's mentioned yet is that when you pay the annual fee ($75) you get 40,000 points posted to your account with no further spend on the card. WELL worth the $75 in my opinion.
Wait wait...
So on top of the CC bonus. Keep the card, pay the fee and you get an additional 40k + another year of CC Gold? Nice!

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
Yes, exactly. If you have the business version, you pay $60. If you have the personal version, you pay the $75 and they deposit 40,000 points in your account. As long as they continue the 2 for 1 night redemptions, I'll be keeping the card. The Radisson Blu hotels in the U.S. are nice. I've stayed at the Radisson Blu Bloonington twice in the last year, and I was upgraded both times to the business class. I received access to the lounge which included a happy hour and breakfast. For 44,000 points, that's a good deal. It's connected to the Mall of America which made it super convenient. I've used points for several of the Country Inns and Suites. I usually get upgraded to a suite. The rooms are o.k. The breakfast is o.k, and have been adequate for traveling with my kids. I just finished up a stay in Traverse City, MI. The hotel was newly renovated last year so the rooms were fine.

Mingy

Level 2 Member
If you have the business and personal version or two spouses with personal, they deposit 80,000 points. And points can be transferred between any accounts.

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
If you have the business and personal version or two spouses with personal, they deposit 80,000 points. And points can be transferred between any accounts.
This perk has worked great when my sister and mom needed points. The transfer was immediate.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Yes, exactly. If you have the business version, you pay $60. If you have the personal version, you pay the $75 and they deposit 40,000 points in your account. As long as they continue the 2 for 1 night redemptions, I'll be keeping the card. The Radisson Blu hotels in the U.S. are nice. I've stayed at the Radisson Blu Bloonington twice in the last year, and I was upgraded both times to the business class. I received access to the lounge which included a happy hour and breakfast. For 44,000 points, that's a good deal. It's connected to the Mall of America which made it super convenient. I've used points for several of the Country Inns and Suites. I usually get upgraded to a suite. The rooms are o.k. The breakfast is o.k, and have been adequate for traveling with my kids. I just finished up a stay in Traverse City, MI. The hotel was newly renovated last year so the rooms were fine.
I wouldn't mind spending them overseas where the stays (AMS) can be upwards of +$400 :eek:

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
The last Club Carlson hotel I stayed at was o
I wouldn't mind spending them overseas where the stays (AMS) can be upwards of +$400 :eek:
Oh, my kids are still young, no overseas trips for my family yet. I redeem Club Carlson when the rates are $200 and over in the U.S.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
The last Club Carlson hotel I stayed at was o

Oh, my kids are still young, no overseas trips for my family yet. I redeem Club Carlson when the rates are $200 and over in the U.S.
The rates here are VERY decent. Chicago Aqua Blu is ~$150 when I checked. (The one I'll most likely to be staying at)

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
The rates here are VERY decent. Chicago Aqua Blu is ~$150 when I checked. (The one I'll most likely to be staying at)
That's really cheap for Blu in Chicago! When I've looked, it has never been that cheap. I'm usually looking for a weekend stay or traveling during peak time. I've yet to book the Blu in Chicago because it's rarely available for points.

WalletSlot

You can try calling and asking them. There's a chance they may front you the points.
If you are concerned about availability disappearing in the 3 to 5 days, you can book a refundable standard room, and then when you have the points call and ask them to switch the room from paid to points. I don't know if this would work with premium rooms since there is no policy that if it's available, it is bookable like there is with standard rooms.
No go on fronting the points they said.

Will book the standard room and see if they will convert when the points post. Thanks!

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
That's really cheap for Blu in Chicago! When I've looked, it has never been that cheap. I'm usually looking for a weekend stay or traveling during peak time. I've yet to book the Blu in Chicago because it's rarely available for points.
Oh! Apologies. I was just looking at random one night stays + dates. (Can't find the $157 now :confused:)
Been more interested in testing the Chicago Langham though.

I found 5SEPT-6SEPT to be $195 or 50k points.
5SEPT-7SEPT the price rose to $262 a night or 75k points :eek:

WalletSlot

Oh! Apologies. I was just looking at random one night stays + dates. (Can't find the $157 now :confused:)
Been more interested in testing the Chicago Langham though.

I found 5SEPT-6SEPT to be $195 or 50k points.
5SEPT-7SEPT the price rose to $262 a night or 75k points :eek:
The Chicago Langham is wonderful, but the Chicago Peninsula is awesome! I know TPG recently did a writeup on the Langham, but checkout the write-ups on the Peninsula too. We have had many magical stays there.

Mingy

Level 2 Member
No go on fronting the points they said.

Will book the standard room and see if they will convert when the points post. Thanks!
Just a heads up, it took me two calls when I did this. The first time they transferred me to reservations, who couldn't help me. I needed a Club Carlson agent to do it.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Can you get 2 adults and 2 teenagers (17 & 19) into one room in Europe? The website is unclear as the family room description shows max 4 guests but only 3 adults.

Club Carlson-Family Room Award-Family Room
ROOM:
Book Now
ROOM DESCRIPTION:
- +/- 37 square metres
- Bedroom with separate living room
- Room type / Bed type confirmed
- Free Broadband
- VAT and applicable taxes included
- Children up to age of 12 free of charge in existing bedding (max 4 guests/room or 3 adults)
- Extra charges apply for additional bedding (cot free of charge)

Tyler2

Level 2 Member
Most Radisson hotels have a webpage dedicated to room descriptions.

I copy and pasted the description and think that you are referring to the Radisson Blu Copenhagen, if that is the correct hotel than it seems like it would work. The from description page for Copenhagen hotel can be found here: http://www.radissonblu.com/scandinaviahotel-copenhagen/rooms .
It reads: "Maximum number of guests 4 (2 adults and 2 children under 12)" Obviously your kids are older than the website states, but I'm not sure how it is enforced.

This is great that they offer a family room on points, hope it works out.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Most Radisson hotels have a webpage dedicated to room descriptions.

I copy and pasted the description and think that you are referring to the Radisson Blu Copenhagen, if that is the correct hotel than it seems like it would work. The from description page for Copenhagen hotel can be found here: http://www.radissonblu.com/scandinaviahotel-copenhagen/rooms .
It reads: "Maximum number of guests 4 (2 adults and 2 children under 12)" Obviously your kids are older than the website states, but I'm not sure how it is enforced.

This is great that they offer a family room on points, hope it works out.
Thanks. Nice detective work BTW as you nailed the hotel.;) I did see this also but I was hoping to hear from someone who has done this personally.

I went ahead and booked the room since it is refundable but I don't want any surprises. It seems weird that the pull out sofa bed would sleep 2 but with only one adult and one child under 12 - why not just say two adults??? Is this the hotel's way of trying to get you to book two rooms instead of one?

Tyler2

Level 2 Member
Our summer trip last year was to 5 cities in Europe with our three small children (4, 2, 4mo). We stayed mostly at club carlsons, and I used the room occupancy as a guide as whether to get one room or two.

As a data point for other families, we could have probably gotten a single room more often since our children were so young. However, it really depends upon the country and specific property. I understand why my research for the trip didn't really help me out with a clear answer as to whether I could get away with one room or not. "Europe" obviously is a big place, so it really will depend. Also, sadly, most searched really just seem to bring up threads where the third post is always the same person telling you how "cheap" you are for trying to fit more people in a room and how "dangerous" and "against the law" it is, I wonder if those people actually travel, or simply reply to travel posts. Obviously each to their own.

Fishing4Deals

Level 2 Member
I've been quite happy with the Radisson Martinique in NYC. I've stayed in the Radisson in SLC on a Priceline win, and was quite satisfied. The Radisson in Crystal City, VA just outside Washington DC is comfortable enough and is close to a Metro station.

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
I generally book what they lowest rate allows. That is often 2 adults and 1 child. Never had an issue when we showed up with 2 kids.