Reapply after Chase denial?

Craig

Level 2 Member
I applied for Chase Hyatt on 2/1 and was eventually declined after calling in for too many accounts in 24 month (app went to pending). I shouldn't have called, but here we are...

Does anyone have experience reapplying for a Chase card soon after denial (a month or less) and having positive results? In that month I have decreased about 15k worth of available/unused credit line.

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
This happened to me too. I sent a secured message offering to reallocate my CL or closing one of my other cards. I got approved after several days. Chase did close one of my other chase cards. Several people had success doing the same.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
If you want another HP, with the same results, go ahead.

But they won't care what you did with your CLs. They'll only care about the number of new accounts you opened in the past two years.

Bottom line: patience, in so far as dealing with Chase, is a virtue!

Craig

Level 2 Member
If you want another HP, with the same results, go ahead.

But they won't care what you did with your CLs. They'll only care about the number of new accounts you opened in the past two years.

Bottom line: patience, in so far as dealing with Chase, is a virtue!
I'm asking for data points more so than advice.

Last edited:

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I'm asking for data points more so than advice.
That is a data point. Chase has, in the last year, changed their criteria for opening new accounts. It is based, primarily, on the number of new accounts within the past 24 months.

Have I applied for a new account from them? No, because I understand that I have too many new accounts in the last 24 months, and don't want a useless HP.

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
I did not get a HP after sending a secured message and was approved. I also have many inquiries and new accounts in the last 24 months.

swazzie

Level 2 Member
I applied for a CSP on 1/1/16--denied for the too many accounts reason (guilty as charged :D). Applied for Chase Ink around 1/23/16 (after learning the news about Chase possibly extending 5/24 to business cards in March) and got approved early this month.

PillanSmye

Level 2 Member
I have WAY more than 5 new cards (20+) in past two years. This was for the Chase BA cc.
+1

I have 20 new accounts in the last 2 years and probably 15 EX hits.

Chase denied me a CSP for too many new accounts, and then approved me for the BA with a $25K limit literally 5 minutes later. They denied my wife a CSP and gave her a $15K BA 5 minutes later.

I don't agree with the "don't call Chase" camp. How else are you supposed to app multiple cards with one INQ?

Craig

Level 2 Member
+1

I have 20 new accounts in the last 2 years and probably 15 EX hits.

Chase denied me a CSP for too many new accounts, and then approved me for the BA with a $25K limit literally 5 minutes later. They denied my wife a CSP and gave her a $15K BA 5 minutes later.

I don't agree with the "don't call Chase" camp. How else are you supposed to app multiple cards with one INQ?
That is why I called initially after the app went pending. I have 14 EX hits, 22 new accounts in 2 years, and called in hopes of getting the process expedited.

I just sent a SM and got a reply that they will review and get back to me within 7 days. Wondering if I should HUCA and try to speak to another credit analyst, or just wait for the analyst on the other end of the SM to get back to me.

Note - I also got approved for the Ink+ in December about 3 weeks after the app. went to pending, which is why I'm not really interested in hearing the "Chase won't approve you for XXX" line right now. I'm still thinking I can get this approved, just not sure if SM, HUCA, or reapplying is the best bet.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Here's the order in which they have stated they will deny based on number of new cards.

1) (already in effect) Chase branded personal cards.

2) Chase branded business cards--Effective next month. Think Ink.

3) Chase co-branded cards--a group of which BoA would be a member. Effective in April. Airline and hotel cards would also be members of this group.

The reason this matters? Because the OP's experience w/the Hyatt seems to demonstrate that they're accelerating their timeline.

Nevertheless, your best bet for business cards is before 3/1, and your best bet for cobranded is before 4/1.

PillanSmye

Level 2 Member
The reason this matters? Because the OP's experience w/the Hyatt seems to demonstrate that they're accelerating their timeline.
If Chase had accelerated their timeline, it would be all over the net.

Chase has always used excuses like too many accounts, not enough age on current accounts etc etc. That doesn't make any of them hard and fast rules like the 5/24 policy.

Same example as Citi. They tell lots of people they have too many INQ's which is their way of saying they don't like your profile and don't want to extend you any/any further credit. Many of us get Citi accounts with 20-30 INQ's showing on the relevant CRA.

phaustinsmom3

BauertheGolden
No rhyme or reason to chase decisions in my experience. Was denied Ink and CSP on reconsideration line 2 different times, after having BA (2), freedom, and SW (2). then subsequently approved for Hyatt and IHG. Was told when I called once that Hyatt, IHG, SW (I think in that order) are one subsidiary (in the approval process), and the others are a different one (not necessarily in that order. Was told they can't see how many of the other chase cards I have of the opposing type, if that makes sense. My spouse was approved for CSP without having any chase accounts except BA, and was denied a freedom for whatever reason.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I had five new cards open in two years with one that should have dropped off at the end of Feb. I applied for the Freedom and was denied for having too many cards opened yesterday. I think I'll wait til May and try again.
First time I've ever been denied a card....kinda stung a bit!

Craig

Level 2 Member
So... It appears that calling after pending prevented me from originally getting the Hyatt account I applied for on 2/1.

I reapplied on 3/8, and just received notice that I was approved with a MASSIVE credit line. This is my 5th Chase account, and my 33rd new account across all issuers in 24 months.

Craig

Level 2 Member
What advice would you give future Chase appliers (including yourself haha)
All I know is the pre 5/24 world for Chase co-branded accounts (as does anyone here). Best I can say is proactively decrease your credit lines and don't call recon. I was declined for the Ink+ in 02/15 and now the Hyatt after calling recon. Was subsequently approved for both of those accounts over the past 3 months after reapplying, going to pending, and not calling recon. YMMV.

Fishing4Deals

Level 2 Member
You can request reconsideration of the denial. I've had recent success with this.

Didn't realize that authorized user cards were counted toward the 5/24 limit.

Craig

Level 2 Member
You can request reconsideration of the denial. I've had recent success with this.

Didn't realize that authorized user cards were counted toward the 5/24 limit.
I called recon for both of the declined Ink+ and Hyatt accounts with no luck. Also attempted recon via SM for the Hyatt account last month with the same result.

Yes, authorized user accounts appear to be counting towards 5/24. If you include authorized user accounts, I have 7 total with Chase.

WombatCA

Any tips for calling recon? Especially for the Ink+? I'm going to be making that call tomorrow and would love any advice you can offer.

And Congrats on getting the Hyatt approved!!!

Craig

Level 2 Member
Any tips for calling recon? Especially for the Ink+? I'm going to be making that call tomorrow and would love any advice you can offer.

And Congrats on getting the Hyatt approved!!!
Did you get declined? Or did it go to pending? If pending, don't call.

Otherwise, there is another thread about recon calls. Check that out.

WombatCA

Did you get declined? Or did it go to pending? If pending, don't call.

Otherwise, there is another thread about recon calls. Check that out.
I got declined. Called recon and was recommended for approval but it had to be reviewed by a supervisor. Finally heard back that I am again denied. Got some interesting info from the CSR that the application stays in the system for 30 days. So she recommended waiting at least 31 days before I reapply. I think I'm going to change course and go for the Freedom or the FU instead of the ink+.