Real Life Spending Issues: No Circles and Arrows Allowed

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Matt wrote recently about how we sometimes think of the products of MS as play money--similar to the way some people think about their 401K's from previous employers, if you think about it.

But we've all pretty much learned to take a few extra steps to maximize our benefit from spending, manufactured or not. Sometimes, though, we can get so fixated on the points and the miles that we forget the actual dollars. Such was what nearly happened in my house this past week.

TLofML needed a new parka for the brutal winter that appears to be ahead. The last time he bought a true parka was at least 10 years ago, and it was too big for him. Some lucky soul got it from Goodwill, I'm sure.

He'd narrowed the competition down to the Marmot Greenland, and the Eddie Bauer Peak XV. Both were on sale, and, although the original price of the Marmot was much higher (of course!) the member's only sale at REI that ended today brought it down to within about $25 of the sale price of the Eddie Bauer. Decisions, decisions.

He's not the best at them. And when, today, he decided to just order them both, and take back to the local store whichever he liked less, neither had his size, anymore. GRRRRR.

So we did what we should have, in the first place. Obviously, the only place to get an Eddie Bauer jacket is Eddie Bauer. But googling the Marmot, I found a small retailer in Portland OR, that had the Marmot, in his size, for nearly $30 less than the REI sale price. And three day shipping was only $7. So, for $15 less than he'd have spent to get the parka, using TCB, and ground shipping, he's getting it in time for the next wave of real cold: the highs on T'giving and Friday are predicted to be in the low teens.

I'd love others to share stories about balancing desires for cashback/points/miles with simply doing one's due diligence when making purchases.

BTW: he wouldn't have gotten the year end credit for buying from REI. Sale items are excluded.

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
This reminds me of a similar situation my friend was in. He needed to purchase a moderately expensive item and found someone willing to give him a "cash discount." In this case it would have saved him about 7%. He was strongly tempted to skip the discount so he could pay with cc just for the points.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

REI used to be so great. Once this dickbag CEO took over and they started outsourcing everything to China the quality really went downhill. I find myself buying more from Backcountry these days. Prices are usually better with their 20% off coupons, shop discover, and 2-day shipping.

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
REI used to be so great. Once this dickbag CEO took over and they started outsourcing everything to China the quality really went downhill. I find myself buying more from Backcountry these days. Prices are usually better with their 20% off coupons, shop discover, and 2-day shipping.
That's not very nice to say about the CEO... I actually know the guy!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I still like REI. We just got better elsewhere.

Another RL spending story, with a lovely ending.

One of my kids has a Magic Bullet on his Christmas list. I could get that for him, but the NutriBullet is stronger, and will last longer for him. I knew that it was$79.99 at Costco, and was going to make a run there for one.

Then I remembered the 20% off coupon for Target. So, hit the local Target, where it was priced at $89.99. But 20% off is $18, plus 5% off the $72 for using the RedBird is $3.60. AND, I got a $10 giftcard for buying it, making final cost only $58.40.

AND saved 20% (+5%) on the groceries, as well. Loved seeing that I'd saved nearly $64 today. A good day!

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
Well at least you can get him to buy the drinks then while you tell him how someone was mean to him over the internet.
I'd like to clarify, I don't know him like that (where we could go out for drinks). His history started off as being a lawyer and somehow he linked up with Victoria's Secret where he got into supply chain and started looking for ways for efficiency and cost cutting/improvements to gross margin. Real nice guy though. Big time outdoors person. I think I heard he has a giant house in the Rockies as his getaway for hunting and etc

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I'd like to clarify, I don't know him like that (where we could go out for drinks). His history started off as being a lawyer and somehow he linked up with Victoria's Secret where he got into supply chain and started looking for ways for efficiency and cost cutting/improvements to gross margin. Real nice guy though. Big time outdoors person. I think I heard he has a giant house in the Rockies as his getaway for hunting and etc
Too bad. Those free drinks would have been delicious. I'm sure he's a real ham, but you can speak to any woman who's a long time Victoria's Secret shopper and they'll tell you how the quality there went to hell in a handbasket also. Seems to be this guy's MO.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I was a really long time VS shopper, but not purchaser. Their quality was never that great in the first place. What they had going for them was men buying their stuff because they were convinced that their wives/GFs would love it, by models like Harry Connick Jr.s wife.

Always was long on fancy but short on workmanship.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
What to buy? They sent me a $20 off $50 or more purchase coupon (expires 5/3/15). No exclusions on brands (just has to be in stock) other than REI gift cards...