Review Radisson Blu Bosphorus Hotel

smittytabb

Staff member
My original booking for this property for early June 2014 was at the 50K two night redemption for Club Carlson credit card holders. The more I read, the more I liked the idea of springing for the 75K Business Class room redemption. It includes a larger room and includes the breakfast buffet. It might have been possible to have been upgraded at check in, but I didn't want to take my chances. As it turns out, we were given an amazing room facing right on the Bosphorus. The room was not particularly special, really, except that it had this killer view. Like the best view ever. It is mesmerizing to sit and watch the traffic on the Bosphorus and you are so close. We checked in the room and just sat and drank wine and ate our complimentary nuts and snacks looking at the water, for hours. It was that cool. We probably should have explored Ortakoy more. We figured that out later, as it is a fun part of the city to be in. But..there was this view.

There is a nice cocktail lounge with an outdoor patio. Eventually we moved there and it also has that view. There is a very hip Japanese restaurant on the property called Zuma. We eventually made it there. It is pricey, but very good. The breakfast buffet is in the Starboard restaurant and we were glad it was included in our award rate. We really were happy we chose this property. It is one we will never forget and it is hard to put a price tag on that. For us, it was a highlight to be on the water even though the property didn't have all the usual bells and whistles. Sometimes one thing trumps the rest. This was one of those times.

nsmn4945

Level 2 Member
Thanks for posting this. I am booked here for a two night stay in June 2015. I'll be doing 2 nights at the Park Hyatt Istanbul and then moving here for a two night stay on points. Now I'm wondering if I should also splurge on the upgrade.

I hear this property is quite far from all the sights/attractions. Did you find it difficult to go to/from the city, or did you just relax and unwind at the hotel?

Andrew

Level 2 Member
Thanks for posting this. I am booked here for a two night stay in June 2015. I'll be doing 2 nights at the Park Hyatt Istanbul and then moving here for a two night stay on points. Now I'm wondering if I should also splurge on the upgrade.

I hear this property is quite far from all the sights/attractions. Did you find it difficult to go to/from the city, or did you just relax and unwind at the hotel?
This Radisson Bosphorus is actually only 2 to 2.5 miles from the Park Hyatt where you are staying your first two nights, so it is not much further from the "sights/attractions". What most people (tourists) refer to as sights and attractions in Istanbul is Taksim and the Old City, but Istanbul is massive city with much more than these two areas. But, yes you should see those areas. The Radisson Bosphorus is in a really cool neighborhood called Ortakoy, with a good deal to do in that area.

smittytabb

Staff member

I did two nights at the Grand Hyatt and two nights at the Radisson Blu. I actually wish I had had more time in Ortakoy as like @Andrew said, it is a nice part of the city with lots to do and nice restaurants. I thought the upgrade was worth it and I would do it again if I could be in the front Business class room on the water.

This was my fourth time to Istanbul, so I had seen most of the main "attractions" once or more than once, but even if your time is limited, it is not that far off the beaten track at all and being on the water is spectacular.

nsmn4945

Level 2 Member
Good to hear. This will be my first time in Istanbul....a 4 night/5day trip after doing two weeks in Italy. On my first trips, I usually try to get all the sights out of the way and try to get a good sense of the city. On my future visits, I try and relax and spend more time in the areas that interested me most. Looking forward to the trip.

smittytabb

Staff member
Good to hear. This will be my first time in Istanbul....a 4 night/5day trip after doing two weeks in Italy. On my first trips, I usually try to get all the sights out of the way and try to get a good sense of the city. On my future visits, I try and relax and spend more time in the areas that interested me most. Looking forward to the trip.
There are just a whole lot of things to see. First time I went I was there a week and went hard and still had more I wanted to do. If you want to do a lot of sightseeing I do recommend Rick Steves' Istanbul book. It might help you figure out the priorities and it is very thorough.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
I have spent a good deal of time in Istanbul. My wife is originally from Izmir and went college in Istanbul. I lived their for a while and have traveled back once or twice a year for the past few years.

As smittytabb said there is a lot of things to see. Istanbul is also a very demanding city in certain ways. Going around the city can make you very tired. Tons of people, plenty of traffic, etc. But it has an incredibly energy at the same time

MarkD

Level 2 Member
It is a very special place which is why I keep going back.
...As smittytabb said there is a lot of things to see. Istanbul is also a very demanding city in certain ways. Going around the city can make you very tired. Tons of people, plenty of traffic, etc. But it has an incredibly energy at the same time
Can I ask what you enjoy most about the city? It is definitely a hip 'new' city that is gaining in popularity with travellers now.

Personally, I don't see the attraction - but I'll admit I'm very ignorant on the subject of Istanbul and I want to learn more about it. I passed on a direct business class Turkish airline flight from SFO-IST on our way to Italy in summer of 2015. We're doing SFO-LHR instead and working our way down to Italy.

smittytabb

Staff member
Can I ask what you enjoy most about the city? It is definitely a hip 'new' city that is gaining in popularity with travellers now.

Personally, I don't see the attraction - but I'll admit I'm very ignorant on the subject of Istanbul and I want to learn more about it. I passed on a direct business class Turkish airline flight from SFO-IST on our way to Italy in summer of 2015. We're doing SFO-LHR instead and working our way down to Italy.
Well, for a start Turkish Airlines is superb and I would have gotten on that flight in a heartbeat! Maybe I should keep that a secret:)

For a start it is a fabulously beautiful city with a foothold in both Asia and Europe and a crossroads of culture. It has wonderful cultural gems all over the city and an overlay of many times and peoples. It is a progressive diverse city with a fascinating history. It also has wonderful food, friendly people, and is relatively inexpensive compared to many larger metropolitan global cities. I find it absolutely captivating, but I have no idea what is holding you back or what notions you might have of Istanbul or Turkey. What do you know about them?

Andrew

Level 2 Member

Yeah, Istanbul is definitely a "new" hip city with people nowadays. From what I know of the history of the city and country (from my extensive study and conversations with my wife's family and Turkish friends), Istanbul would have been an even more interesting place to visit back in the 70's and 80's.

What do I enjoy most about the city? That is so hard to say. It is without a doubt a love it or hate it kind of city, and often you can feel these emotions in the same day. The same variables that make it such a lively, energetic, engaging city also make it so stressful.

Often times, with a city or place you can't really see the appeal until you are there. And to be honest, you may not like it.

My question, like smittytabb, though is what is holding you back. Is a preconceived notion of the city, country, or people?

If you enjoy spending time in European cities and countries (especially Mediterranean ones) then Istanbul would actually be right up your alley. Also, I would highly recommend visiting Izmir. It is the most progressive and "European" city in Turkey and by fat my favorite. Then again I am biased because it is where my wife is from.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yeah, Istanbul is definitely a "new" hip city with people nowadays. From what I know of the history of the city and country (from my extensive study and conversations with my wife's family and Turkish friends), Istanbul would have been an even more interesting place to visit back in the 70's and 80's.

What do I enjoy most about the city? That is so hard to say. It is without a doubt a love it or hate it kind of city, and often you can feel these emotions in the same day. The same variables that make it such a lively, energetic, engaging city also make it so stressful.

Often times, with a city or place you can't really see the appeal until you are there. And to be honest, you may not like it.

My question, like smittytabb, though is what is holding you back. Is a preconceived notion of the city, country, or people?

If you enjoy spending time in European cities and countries (especially Mediterranean ones) then Istanbul would actually be right up your alley. Also, I would highly recommend visiting Izmir. It is the most progressive and "European" city in Turkey and by fat my favorite. Then again I am biased because it is where my wife is from.
I really liked Izmir too, but I have spent much less time there than in Istanbul. I am particularly fond of cities where there is cultural fusion, which I guess can be anywhere, but some cities have that more than others. I don't find Istanbul all that challenging but I have traveled a lot in the developing world and I like cities so in Istanbul, what may be exhausting for some I find exhilarating. I think a lot depends on how much you have traveled, and what your tolerance is for difference. To me, I agree that Istanbul and Turkey in general feels more Mediterranean than anything else.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
I really liked Izmir too, but I have spent much less time there than in Istanbul. I am particularly fond of cities where there is cultural fusion, which I guess can be anywhere, but some cities have that more than others. I don't find Istanbul all that challenging but I have traveled a lot in the developing world and I like cities so in Istanbul, what may be exhausting for some I find exhilarating. I think a lot depends on how much you have traveled, and what your tolerance is for difference. To me, I agree that Istanbul and Turkey in general feels more Mediterranean than anything else.
When I talk about Istanbul being challenging, I think I mean it more from the standpoint of living there, which I have. For traveling its totally fine, and if you have traveled in the developing world then there are no issues with Istanbul.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I think the first thing that pops into my mind is safety/security. When I think Istanbul or Turkey, I think (incorrectly) Middle East, not Mediterranean. It must be safe for Americans though as I haven't heard of any issues for travellers. The second thing is activities or attractions. I'm looking at Trip Advisor's list of the most popular attractions in Istanbul and I see a lot of mosques and museums. That's not for me. I get too bored. I said the same thing about Paris museums. The food tours or pub crawls I could get into though. I think the best possible city tour is on a bike or maybe a boat.

smittytabb

Staff member
I think the first thing that pops into my mind is safety/security. When I think Istanbul or Turkey, I think (incorrectly) Middle East, not Mediterranean. It must be safe for Americans though as I haven't heard of any issues for travellers. The second thing is activities or attractions. I'm looking at Trip Advisor's list of the most popular attractions in Istanbul and I see a lot of mosques and museums. That's not for me. I get too bored. I said the same thing about Paris museums. The food tours or pub crawls I could get into though. I think the best possible city tour is on a bike or maybe a boat.
I love Turkey and feel very safe there. I was even in Istanbul on the day of the anniversary of the Gezi Park demonstrations, and if there would have been an iffy time to be there, it would have been then. I spent about three weeks traveling the country in June. Turkey is a moderate, progressive country that is interesting because it is European, Asian, secular and also a place to see Islamic influence flourish in the midst of tolerance. People in our country have been convinced by the media that countries with Islamic influences are dangerous. All the more reason people should travel to Turkey and see for themselves what kind of place it is.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
MarkD, Istanbul is very safe for Americans. I am American, and as I said before I have lived there and travel there at least twice a year. While I am fairly proficient in Turkish at this point, because of my height and build and blonde hair and blue eyes, people "know" I am American, and I have never had any issues in Turkey.

As for attractions, the typical Trip Advisor list of mosques and museums is not my cup of tea either, but those "types" of attractions are never on my list in ANY city I visit. If you like food Turkey is an amazing place to visit, and if you decide to go to Istanbul I can definitely help with recommendations. Drinking is actually a huge part of Turkish culture (the more secular part of side society, which is quite large).