Quick question RE: Upgrades

Lucas

Silver Member
I have an upcoming international award flight in economy on united, which has ~6 segments. I am a premier silver flier. On several segments, each of them being CPU eligible, it would benefit me greatly to be upgraded to first class. If I were to change my seats to econ+ for some segments, and pay the $30 or whatever, am I bumped ahead of the paying economy class tickets in line for upgrades? Or does this just put me ahead of other economy award tickets?

Ideally I'd like to keep a close eye on the 1st class seats, and if they appear empty, purchase economy+ in order to increase my odds of getting bumped.

For some reason I'm having a hell of a time understanding United's upgrade policies... I don't usually fly them and have had zilch for upgrades when I do. Thanks

Lucas

Silver Member
Buying E+ will not increase your chance of CPUs. Domestic/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean awards that are booked using a United CC are eligible for CPUs after all paid tickets of those of the same status. Thus your position on the CPU list will be below all silvers who are not on award tickets. CPUs are sorted in the following order: status, then fare class, then award tickets