Qatar change request

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Not sure if this is uisual as it has never come up before, but I booked RT JFK-SIN via DOH at a really good fare, but it left me with 22 hour layover on the way home. I didn't really want to leave SIN at 2 am but it is what it is.

When I asked for a hotel room, which I was told they would give in case of long layover, they refused, saying I could have a 2 hour connection.

I went online and was able to get the flight I wanted SIN-DOH but it refused me the 2 hour connection but gave me 8 hour layover which was better than before. Due to fare changes, I only had to pay $108 for the two changes.

Their Twitter group said there was a possibility that I could change the DOH-JFK depending on some "factors." This turned out to be that they wanted $6000-7000 each to make the change, explaining that I had promo fare.

With a day to go there are 9 seats remaining on that earlier flight. Is it usual not to accommodate someone when the seats will almost certainly be empty? I'm not thrilled but it may just be how airlines do business.