Q4 2014 Charity - Stop Hunger Now

Which Charity Should Saverocity Support this Quarter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
We have four finalist candidates shortlisted for support in Q4. If you would take a moment to vote on your preferred Charity that would be much appreciated. I have promised to donate a sum equal to whatever Credit Card affiliate revenue I personally would receive for the quarter.

In terms of your support, it would be great if you can spread awareness of the initiative, simply sharing it on twitter, facebook, on blogs, forums, email, whatever you feel comfortable with. We now have access to most credit cards, though I can't tell if they are always the best links (I'm sure some are not). If you apply for a card using them then that will support the cause, but don't lost sight of the importance of careful planning when applying for credit, and being able to pay it down.

There is a tab on the navigation menu for more info on the cards.

The Charities
  1. Action Against Hunger 2012 Income $63M form 990
  2. Stop Hunger Now 2013 Income $21M form 990
  3. Bread For the World Institute 2013 Income $16M form 990
  4. Masbia (updated) 2013 Income $2.1M Link
Further Details

Action Against Hunger | ACF International
  • Physical Headquarters Location: New York, NY
  • Web URL: http://www.actionagainsthunger.org
  • Starting Year: 1979
  • Efficiency: 85.9%
  • Type of Charity: Hunger | International Relief
  • Basic Description/Mission Statement: Action Against Hunger | ACF-USA is part of the ACF International Network, an agency established specifically to combat global hunger. The mission of Action Against Hunger is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations of conflict, war and natural disaster. From crisis to sustainability, we tackle the underlying causes of malnutrition and its effects by using our expertise in nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy. By integrating our programs with local and national systems we further ensure that short-term interventions become long-term solutions.
  • Why you are nominating them?: They assist in a number of different countries and have a wealth of expertise in dealing with crises.
Stop Hunger Now
  • Physical Headquarters Location: Raleigh, NC
  • Web URL: http://www.stophungernow.org/
  • Starting Year: 1998
  • Efficiency: 86.54% (2012 per Charity Navigator)
  • Type of Charity: International hunger relief agency
  • Basic Description/Mission Statement:
    Mission Statement: To end hunger in our lifetime by providing food and life-saving aid to the world's most vulnerable and by creating a global commitment to mobilize the necessary resources.
    Description: Stop Hunger Now coordinates the distribution of food and other lifesaving aid to children and families in countries all over the world.Their primary focus has been on packaged meals that combine rice, soy, dehydrated vegetables and a flavoring mix including 21 essential vitamins and minerals into small meal packets. Each meal costs only 29 cents. The food stores easily, has a shelf-life of two years and transports quickly. They with international partners that ship and distribute the meals in-country.
    Stop Hunger Now currently provides over 70% of its meals to support transformational development programs such as school feeding programs, vocational training programs, early childhood development programs, orphanages, and medical clinics . Their goal is to allocate 80% of its meals to transformational development programs by 2015.
  • Why you are nominating them?: They have a very efficient process for distributing food to some of the world's most needy children and a focus on breaking the cycle of hunger in communities. I met the founder shortly after he started the organization (totally random meeting) and I was impressed with his vision then. I've continued to be impressed with their focus and growth. A few years ago a friend joined the Board and I recently learned that they are slowly expanding their focus to support projects in communities that will make food supply more sustainable - ie: providing funding for irrigation systems. I like the focus on sustainability as well as the starting small approach.
Bread for the World Institute
  • Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
  • http://www.bread.org/
  • Efficiency: Financial score: 93.29/Program expenses: 82.9%
  • Starting year: 1972
  • Type of Charity: International Development, Relief Services
  • Basic Description/Mission Statement: Bread for the World Institute (BFWI) provides policy analysis on hunger and strategies to end it. The Institute educates its advocacy network, opinion leaders, policy makers and the public about hunger in the United States and abroad. BFWI is the research and educational partner of Bread for the World, generating studies on hunger issues and vital educational resources. We believe that a well-educated and motivated U.S. constituency who care for hungry people will ultimately change the politics of hunger. BFWI helps U.S. citizens tell the story of hungry people in their communities and see our connections to hungry people around the world. By empowering people with information, Bread for the World Institute affects real progress toward ending hunger.
  • Why you are nominating them? This organization seeks to impact policy involving hunger and has an international scope.
*Of importance to this particular charity is this. One can donate either to Bread for the World or Bread for the World Institute. Bread for the World members lobby Congress on behalf of hungry and poor people, so gifts are not tax deductible. Bread for the World Institute is the research and educational partner of Bread for the World. Gifts to the Institute are tax-deductible. I chose the Institute because the donations could be considered tax-deductible.

Masbia

http://www.masbia.org/
Mission statement:
Masbia is a nonprofit soup kitchen network and food pantry, everyday providing hot, nutritious meals for hundreds of New Yorkers in desperate need of food. Alongside our hot-meal program, we also give out bags of much needed groceries every week to those with not enough at home, through our weekend take-home package program. Masbia works to not only feed the hungry, but to provide free, wholesome, and delicious meals for people in a restaurant-style environment, with volunteer waiters serving each person with respect and dignity.

Voting will close in 7 days, after which time the charity with the most votes will be supported for the quarter.

Last edited:

PWMTrav

Staff member
I also voted for Masbia. Some of these programs have a global scope, and that's a good thing - but the guys running the operations locally are often the ones that get pinched the most. Masbia seems like they'd be most in the weeds since they operate the front line relief.

Shak Y

Level 2 Member
Little bit nervous that there's no efficiency/pass-through score for Masbia. Is that because it's so small, relatively?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Little bit nervous that there's no efficiency/pass-through score for Masbia. Is that because it's so small, relatively?
The efficiency rates were copied from Charity Navigator, and yes, due to the size of Masbia they aren't being reported to that level on those sites. I reviewed earlier form 990s from these and they seemed to meet the efficiency levels we were looking for.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm starting to tally up the credit card revenue for the Quarter in order to make the donation to Stop Hunger Now. I believe that @SherryFD offered to help confirm my data, so will get that squared away and report back.