Q1 2015 Charity Project C.U.R.E

Which charity should Saverocity Support in Q1 2015?

• Community Partners International

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Project C.U.R.E

Votes: 28 82.4%

• Total voters

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who don't know, I am donating all of my credit card affiliate revenue to charity.

We have two shortlisted, please see the details of them below.

Last edited:

AIM

Level 2 Member
  • Name: Community Partners International
  • Physical Headquarters Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Web URL: http://cpintl.org/
  • Starting Year: The constituent organizations were founded in 1989 and 1998
  • Efficiency: 91%
  • Type of Charity: Global health
  • Basic Description/Mission Statement: "Our mission is to work with local partners to improve health and education, led by and for the people of Myanmar."
  • Why you are nominating them?: I worked with the Global Health Access Program, a constituent organization of CPI during my public health graduate studies. They were like no other non-profit I had worked with before and I have continued to be impressed with them in the 10 years since. Many global health organizations pay lip service to capacity building but these guys really mean it. They have been working with local NGOs on the Thai-Burma border for many years and really worked hard to transfer skills and knowledge that allowed the refugee and internally displaced groups to control more of their own destiny. On top of that, they operate a lean organization with most money going to programmatic activities.

smittytabb

Staff member
  • Name: Project C.U.R.E
  • Physical Headquarters Location: Centennial, Colorado
  • Web URL: http://projectcure.org/
  • Starting Year: 1987
  • Efficiency: 98.3%
  • Type of Charity: Global Health/Humanitarian Relief Supply
  • Basic Description/Mission Statement: Project C.U.R.E. was founded in 1987 to help bridge staggering health resource gaps in the developing world by matching medical supplies and modern equipment with facilities in need to empower doctors and nurses with the tools they need to treat disease, deliver vaccines, perform life-changing surgeries and ensure safe childbirth. Project C.U.R.E. operates distribution centers in Colorado, Tennessee, Texas and Arizona and collects excess supplies and specialized equipment from hundreds of U.S. hospitals and medical manufacturers, giving them the opportunity to redirect their surplus in an environmentally-friendly way. Thanks to the dedication of thousands of volunteers nationwide, two to three cargo containers of life-saving aid leave Project C.U.R.E.'s warehouses every week. Today, Project C.U.R.E. is the world's largest distributor of donated medical supplies and equipment to healthcare facilities in resource-limited communities in 130 countries.
  • Why you are nominating them?: If you look at the Charity Navigator Rating, this group has impressive stats including a 100% accounting and transparency rating. I like the specific focus of this charity as the largest provider of donated medical supplies and equipment to developing countries around the world. I am particularly impressed with the way this organization has been involved in its Ebola outbreak response. http://www.projectcure.org/programs/projects/ebola-outbreak-response

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
OK - I like these two. Let's lock this down.

Does anyone have any concerns about either charity? Please speak now or forever hold your peace. If I hear no red flags I'll put it to a vote.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
OK folks - we are shortlisted! Please take a moment to vote for your preferred charity. Remember, these are funded by credit card applications, so please consider using our links when going for your next application.

Weezl

Level 2 Member
Matthew,
You stated: " I then give this chartity 100% of credit card revenue that I would otherwise earn myself. I'm not suggesting that you have to use my links for this, but when you think about clicking on a new card application, consider that the money is all going to a good cause. Last quarter I donated an amount equal to about 25% of my annual salary, i'd like to do even more this quarter."

Wow. What an inspiration to the MS world and beyond. Doing right for others. I hope (pretty sure) that you will be (are being) rewarded to no end with this generocity. In fact, that's a better term for this site: generocity.com

Bravo

LoriB

Level 2 Member
Thank you for your kind generosity! I will be sure to use the provided links as I know the money will be used in a beneficial manner.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Based on the trend of 25 to 6 I'd like to propose that we support Project C.U.R.E this quarter. If there are any last minute questions or thoughts on this please let me know ASAP.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
We're officially running with Project C.U.R.E

I've already got the ball rolling with an Arrival card, and a couple of Cap One Ventures from my CC link. I hope that we can break through the $1K level (and by a long margin) this time.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Charity Revenue Update

We have a current quarterly balance of $515 collected for Project C.U.R.E (half of which came from my own last churn).

Get applying for cards immediately you scallywags.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
So I assume that if I access a link through here and copy it for my daughter to use, the proceeds will come here, correct? She's doing an AOR and I haven't been able to talk her out of the Cap One Venture card, so the bennies may as well come here!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
So I assume that if I access a link through here and copy it for my daughter to use, the proceeds will come here, correct? She's doing an AOR and I haven't been able to talk her out of the Cap One Venture card, so the bennies may as well come here!
Yes, if you right click the CC link here you get this:

http://saverocity.com/creditcards/

That will take them to the right place :)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Q1 donation amount (tentative, until verified)

$850.75 to Project C.U.R.E who can thank @smittytabb for suggesting them, and all you fine men and women for your contributions. The amount includes $50 from the Charity GPU auction.

Thanks for being awesome.