PSA: Transfer URs Before Closing a CC !!!

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I've read this in the past but it serves as a great reminder...

Make sure that you transfer your Ultimate Rewards from a card you would like to close BEFORE you close the card.

Background: I had an Ink Bold and was recently approved for an Ink Plus. The annual fee was coming due on my Ink Bold so I sent an SM to Chase to close my card and refund my annual fee. A couple of days later I go to transfer my URs from Ink Bold to my new Ink Plus and I get an error. I SM Chase again and they tell me the account is closed and I've just forfeited 157,253 UR points!!!

<Heart attack happens here>

I called Chase (no SM this time) and they were able to re-open my account temporarily and transfer the UR from my Ink Bold to my Ink Plus.

If I had waited any longer I might have permanently lost all of the UR I had accumulated.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Sometimes, the little and obvious things gets us. Glad it worked for you in the end.

F

Fuerza

I didn't know that UR from different cards were not pooled together. I have IB and just app'd for CSP and Freedom. I figured all the points would be in the same place.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I've read this in the past but it serves as a great reminder...

Make sure that you transfer your Ultimate Rewards from a card you would like to close BEFORE you close the card.

Background: I had an Ink Bold and was recently approved for an Ink Plus. The annual fee was coming due on my Ink Bold so I sent an SM to Chase to close my card and refund my annual fee. A couple of days later I go to transfer my URs from Ink Bold to my new Ink Plus and I get an error. I SM Chase again and they tell me the account is closed and I've just forfeited 157,253 UR points!!!

<Heart attack happens here>

I called Chase (no SM this time) and they were able to re-open my account temporarily and transfer the UR from my Ink Bold to my Ink Plus.

If I had waited any longer I might have permanently lost all of the UR I had accumulated.
So glad it worked out. I'd have had a heart attack too!

The first time I moved URs around prior to closing an acct I took screen shots to prove I had the points in case they disappeared into the ether.... I was really paranoid about it but since then I've been more trusting. Still, you are right that the real important thing here is to move the URs first!

I have also asked the CSR to verify that the account I was about to close had a UR balance of zero. But I tend to close accounts by phone, not DM.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
I didn't know that UR from different cards were not pooled together. I have IB and just app'd for CSP and Freedom. I figured all the points would be in the same place.
They can be, but aren't automatically.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I think this is why I wasn't too concerned initially. I thought that points would be pooled since they were both Ink products, but that's not the case. It's all by individual CC.

I learned my lesson.

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
I just downgrade the CSP to Freedom and the Ink Bold to Ink Plus, too... But I did transfer out 180k UR points beforehand to United... Glad I did!