PSA: Let’s talk about Travel. Not Politics.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

Let’s talk about Travel. Not Politics. Travel blogs shouldn’t be discussing political matters because it upsets readers who read the blog for Travel related reasons. And if those people leave or unsubscribe, it hits us where it hurts, right in the pocketbook.

Travel, and the niche of Travel Hacking allows us to experience different cultures, to discover more about the world, and in turn, about ourselves. I love hearing stories about how families are able to take their children overseas on trips to see the world, or about people in the US who are here for work or study that can go to visit friends and family from their home countries.

I do think, and have stated, that there’s a risk that comes from Travel Hacking that it can devalue the benefits of travel. If it is so easy to fly to Paris that you can do so any weekend, you might not immerse yourself in the culture in the same way, but that doesn’t make Travel Hacking inherently bad.

Travel at its best speaks to the soul. Truthfully, not every trip I take, or want to take does this any more, sometimes I just want some beach time. But the times when I’ve walked around rural Japan on 4 hour treks between remote Dojo were spiritual. Japan for me was a wonderful experience. It was one of the first times I felt like an outsider, and subjected to racism. A lot of this stemmed from their immigration policy and cutting off their borders, which happened under the Sakoku Edict of 1635. This occurred under the Tokugawa shogunate, and is known as the Edo period. It lasted 250 years, and came to an end with the Meiji restoration in 1868. This period of history has greatly shaped the Japan of today, and the feeling towards outsiders remains clear, and present.

It was with a tired body, and tired mind that I would walk through Japan, knowing that I would be treated poorly by many residents, be them officials, or just everyday people. There were also many warm hearted people, but the baseline was that you were a Gaijin, a foreigner, and undesirable. This isn’t a bad thing to experience, because it is a lesson in life, and can help shape your understanding of the world. Seeing it through the eyes of an outsider can teach empathy, along with sadness, and sometimes the hard lessons are the best ones.

Travel, with an open mind, and heart, can teach us much about the world. But when we open this conduit that travel creates, we change. Travel, allows you to see a different culture, experience different food, drinks, sights, and people. It allows you to feel what they feel. Ultimately, therefore anyone who writes on travel will be inclined at times to talk about their feelings, their fears, their desires, their hopes and dreams for their families.

Travel is the conduit. But the heart, mind, or soul must be open in order to receive it’s lessons. For this reason, I beseech all travel bloggers, both on Saverocity and elsewhere to avoid talking about politics.

If you do, it will offend some people, who don’t want to hear about issues surrounding us today, that your heart, mind, or soul cry out against. They don’t want to know that you are worried as a woman, a gay person, a person of color, or just some lefty weirdo. They just want to hear about trip reports on the latest airplane, ideally one operated by a largely Islamic state. There are bonus points for photos of snacks and pre departure beverages.

Let’s not forget, Travel Blogging is a business. And these people are your customer. They have the money, the very best money, and if they unsubscribe you will suffer, that’s just not smart business.

Now – let’s go make some money!

The post PSA: Let’s talk about Travel. Not Politics. appeared first on Saverocity Travel.

Continue reading...

sriki

Level 2 Member
@Matt I appreciate this.

If a particular blogger belongs to a certain class that's discriminated against, I would like to hear about their direct experiences on their platforms. Having said that, I don't care to get policy matter opinions from my friendly neighborhood traveler hacker (for reasons far too ranging for me to elaborate during my work hours).

smittytabb

Staff member
Maybe I am just jetlagged, but I read @Matt's post as sarcasm. Travel is a political act and when I see thoughtful posts on the inevitable connection between politics and travel by bloggers such as Seth and Stefan at Wandering Aramean and Rapid Travel Chai, I find it sad that so many people in the comments tell them to stick to travel. We each bring our identities and our politics on the road with us and a lot of the travel experience is our internal experience, not just the physical flight seat and hotel suite.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
On the other hand, I read a blog post recently that started off with nothing but the author's personal political opinions, even if offered somewhat indirectly. I disagreed with most of it even if the main point might have had merit. He would have done much better by not trying to ride the popular sentiment ... which may seem to be popular, but may just be a group of people that like to make more noise than others.

I will be a little more reluctant to spend my time reading this author again. My time is valuable and if I'm looking for opinions to argue with (and I'm not), I certainly would look elsewhere.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
Priceless. Even this old Irishman can appreciate the British subtlety. The Irish literary approach would be more akin to what I found etched into a NOLA barroom latrine 2 weeks after Katrina: "Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him?"

Last edited:

jmw

Level 2 Member
I don't allow family or guests to mention any politics at the dinner table and I highly discourage discussion at my house in general. It makes for an acrimonious and uncomfortable environment. I even had one guest turn to CNN, and that was the only time when I took executive action on the remote. You can watch CNN, MSNBC and Fox somewhere else on your own time. I have HBO and a bunch of movies you can watch, and you choose news????? I won't allow my house to become an uncomfortable environment. If I ran a blog or forum, I'd probably do the same thing with the "no politics" rule.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I don't allow family or guests to mention any politics at the dinner table and I highly discourage discussion at my house in general. It makes for an acrimonious and uncomfortable environment. I even had one guest turn to CNN, and that was the only time when I took executive action on the remote. You can watch CNN, MSNBC and Fox somewhere else on your own time. I have HBO and a bunch of movies you can watch, and you choose news????? I won't allow my house to become an uncomfortable environment. If I ran a blog or forum, I'd probably do the same thing with the "no politics" rule.
I grew up in a family like this, where talking about politics felt taboo. I grew up unable to articulate my political opinions and always felt uncomfortable joining conversations.

There has to be a middle ground, where a family can discuss current events, that include having an opinion about the current political climate.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
Tongue-even deeper-in-cheek? Or, are you serious?

Binny

Level 9 Ultra Top Secret
I don't allow family or guests to mention any politics at the dinner table and I highly discourage discussion at my house in general. It makes for an acrimonious and uncomfortable environment....
I first read this as: jmw's discouragement of political discussion creates an acrimonious and uncomfortable environment.:p

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
You know, it's your house, your rules.

I made the same rule on Thanksgiving, because, Thanksgiving. But usually, politics are free rein in my house. No one has a "right" not to feel uncomfortable if their beliefs are challenged. And that's what respectful discussion of politics amounts to: challenging the other person's beliefs.

My ILs watch the Sunday morning political shows during breakfast. I read a book and tune them out, because they tend to be so much blather. But, again, their house, their rules.