Problem with Mastercard Giftcards ("Not Authorized", but zero Balance)

purcitron

Level 2 Member
has anyone else experienced problems liquidating recently-purchased Staples MCGCs?

4x $200 staples MCGCs swiped as “not authorized” toward purchase. now showing zero balance on all 4 MCGCs. But store receipt doesn’t even show the MCGCs. VGCs worked without problem on same transaction.

has anyone won a dispute/investigation with blackhawk/giftcardmall in a similar non-fraud situation?
did it take 90 days?
which documents did you provide?
thanks!

GetawaysRus

Level 2 Member
I have been reading about this (but fortunately only have VGCs on hand now). Doctor of Credit has a post on this dated Oct 29. Frequent Miler has a post today (Oct 30).

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
has anyone else experienced problems liquidating recently-purchased Staples MCGCs?

4x $200 staples MCGCs swiped as “not authorized” toward purchase. now showing zero balance on all 4 MCGCs. But store receipt doesn’t even show the MCGCs. VGCs worked without problem on same transaction.

has anyone won a dispute/investigation with blackhawk/giftcardmall in a similar non-fraud situation?
did it take 90 days?
which documents did you provide?
thanks!
I had this happen to me several years ago when loading to Server. I did eventually get the $ back - I think the whole process took 2 months or so. I don't remember all the documentation I provided, but I think it was pictures of the front/back of the card and a receipt verifying purchase.

purcitron

Level 2 Member
I had this happen to me several years ago when loading to Server. I did eventually get the $ back - I think the whole process took 2 months or so. I don't remember all the documentation I provided, but I think it was pictures of the front/back of the card and a receipt verifying purchase.
thanks!
the major problem for me (and others in my situation) is that the receipt does not show any of the declined ("not authorized") transactions. it only shows the successful transactions.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
thanks!
the major problem for me (and others in my situation) is that the receipt does not show any of the declined ("not authorized") transactions. it only shows the successful transactions.
The receipt that I recall they wanted was the showing that I purchased the GCs in the first place. I think I was in the same boat that I didn't have a receipt showing the denial.

Also, I was successful in doing a load today of $199.99/$200 as was recommended.

MK17

Love to Travel
I purchased a large amount of MCGC's today at S&S. Set the pin, and when I went to convert them, the total used on each I set at $499.99 ($499.11 plus fee of .88 cents). All worked fine. I did not attempt to drain multiple cards in one transaction. One card & one MO per transaction. I will post if I learn anything more.

Mufmuf

Level 2 Member
I got 3 x $200 MCgc (from Staples) which lost the funds with three voided transactions at Kroger. Did not get any receipt and was told there would be no record of a voided transaction when I went back to the store.
I am going to file a dispute on each card without a receipt.

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
Just to keep this thread active.....2 cards, 2 drained $200 transactions. I filed my 2 disputes 10/25. I received one emailed acknowledgement from BH and will need to call to verify they also have my other dispute. 90 days to wait for resolution is frustrating, but before the 60-day mark, I'll dispute the charges on my CC. Anyone else have any updates?

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Just to keep this thread active.....2 cards, 2 drained $200 transactions. I filed my 2 disputes 10/25. I received one emailed acknowledgement from BH and will need to call to verify they also have my other dispute. 90 days to wait for resolution is frustrating, but before the 60-day mark, I'll dispute the charges on my CC. Anyone else have any updates?
I saw 1 post on a site, where someone said it's working - but I haven't seen any confirmation or followup - so not worth trying IMO. I can confirm the $199.99/$200.00 load continues to work as a work-around.

purcitron

Level 2 Member
the situation does not look good. 90days to investigate dispute. no guarantee of refund.
organizations with which to file complaints: CFPB, BBB, FTC?, state AG. any others?

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
the situation does not look good. 90days to investigate dispute. no guarantee of refund.
organizations with which to file complaints: CFPB, BBB, FTC?, state AG. any others?
I like the State Attorney General process as it worked for me here in FL. Although it took over a year to get my $50. (I sent in a GC to a
GC exchange, and the exchange claimed I never sent it in. Even with proof, they would not send me the $, so I filed.)

I checked the CFPB site, and see there are only 2 complaints against BlackHawk, dated 11/12/19. There's no complaints filed against MasterCard Prepaid, that I could find anyway.

The FTC seems to make sense to file with them, but I've had no experience with that process.

Does the BBB actually try to get a consumer's money back?

It's been a month since the Master Card debacle with no refunds reported. That is very worrisome.

purcitron

Level 2 Member
I like the State Attorney General process as it worked for me here in FL. Although it took over a year to get my $50. (I sent in a GC to a
GC exchange, and the exchange claimed I never sent it in. Even with proof, they would not send me the $, so I filed.)

I checked the CFPB site, and see there are only 2 complaints against BlackHawk, dated 11/12/19. There's no complaints filed against MasterCard Prepaid, that I could find anyway.

The FTC seems to make sense to file with them, but I've had no experience with that process.

Does the BBB actually try to get a consumer's money back?

It's been a month since the Master Card debacle with no refunds reported. That is very worrisome.
worrisome indeed.
CFPB & BBB do not adjudicate.
there are complains against BHN on CFPB's site outside of 11/12/19.
hopefully, if enough people file complaints via various channels BHN will notice a pattern and resolve.. longshot.

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
I just filed with the BBB. Last week I was listening to the podcast from consumer advocate Clark Howard who recently filed a BBB complaint. 19 days later he had resolution from the company he made the purchase with. He said if the BBB complaint hadn't worked, he was going to arbitration next.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I just filed with the BBB. Last week I was listening to the podcast from consumer advocate Clark Howard who recently filed a BBB complaint. 19 days later he had resolution from the company he made the purchase with. He said if the BBB complaint hadn't worked, he was going to arbitration next.
I used to love his TV show ... but then he disappeared (Clark Howard). All sorts of good advice to at least consider. I'll have to find these podcasts, thanks for mentioning it.

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
A follow-up: as I posted earlier, today I sent in a dispute with the BBB.

I just received an email from my assigned BBB dispute agent. After receiving my complaint today, she then called and left a voicemail with the MasterCard gift card mall/Blackhawk Network per my complaint.

Great news: I now have $200 available back on each of my two cards, so my $400 has been returned. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

knick1959

Level 2 Member
A follow-up: as I posted earlier, today I sent in a dispute with the BBB.

I just received an email from my assigned BBB dispute agent. After receiving my complaint today, she then called and left a voicemail with the MasterCard gift card mall/Blackhawk Network per my complaint.

Great news: I now have $200 available back on each of my two cards, so my $400 has been returned. Merry Christmas!
Not sure it was the BBB complaint; maybe just interesting timing??

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/issue-with-mastercard-giftcards-not-authorized-funds-then-drained

Didn't read it, but it looks like everyone is in better shape?

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
Friends bought a $100 MCGC at BJs Wholesale on Tuesday. Husband pumped gas and got the Not Authorized error message. He then ran it as Credit, and it actually went through. Tuesday night it was declined at a restaurant (cheap take-out w/plenty of $$$ left on the MCGC). He called GCM and was told they would look into it.

So the online reports that the $100 Mastercards w/no fee and the limit-of-10 deal --- sold online at Staples.com in late January and now being declined --- are not just limited to Staples.

When will GCM/MC get their act together and permanently fix this ongoing problem with MCGCs?