President's Day Weekend in FL, but where?

Andrew

Level 2 Member
My wife and I are looking to head somewhere warm for President's Day weekend (February 13-16).

We would be flying out of Boston and would like to go somewhere with a direct flight so as to maximize our time, however, this is not mandatory.

Florida seems the best option for us being on the Northeast. We thought about Puerto Rico but would prefer to take a longer trip there in the near future.

This trip will basically be a short reprieve from the Northeast winter. As such this trip would ideally be a hybrid of exploring a new city/area (food and culture) while also having some time to just sit in the sun.

Last year we were visiting a friend in Jupiter, Florida during this weekend but want to see another area. We haven't been to Miami or anywhere on the Gulf Coast.

Looking to get some recommendations from board members about which city to pick.

Thanks.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Yeah, the Tampa/St. Pete area seems great from what I hear.
Tampa's only good for very very short periods of time. If all you're trying to do is just walk out of the hotel and go to the beach, you can pretty much go anywhere.
If you're looking for things to do and fun to have, I'd recommend Key West or South Beach.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
Tampa's only good for very very short periods of time. If all you're trying to do is just walk out of the hotel and go to the beach, you can pretty much go anywhere.
If you're looking for things to do and fun to have, I'd recommend Key West or South Beach.
Thanks for the reply.

Definitely want a mix of time on the beach with some other activities during the day and at night. Seems like Key West or Miami may be better for that.

smittytabb

Staff member
If I lived in Boston, I would go to the Azores on Sata or TAP. OK, I will admit I am a lusophile, but if you want something totally different that is a direct flight, that would be my pick. Not as warm as Florida, but if you are going for culture, you have it. Probably be better for a longer trip.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
If I lived in Boston, I would go to the Azores on Sata or TAP. OK, I will admit I am a lusophile, but if you want something totally different that is a direct flight, that would be my pick. Not as warm as Florida, but if you are going for culture, you have it. Probably be better for a longer trip.
Azores would be great but I think a longer trip would be more appropriate as you mentioned.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
Looks like we will be going to Miami, as its easy to link up direct flights from BOS for the weekend, it provides a really good chance of warm weather for mid-February, and both my wife and I have never travelled to Miami and have always wanted to see the area.

Looking to get some opinions on hotels. We are thinking to spend two nights at the Hilton Bentley Miami South Beach and or final night at the Marriott StantonSouth Beach. Biggest determining factors for these two locations are that they are on right on the beach and close to each other (as we only have enough points for two nights at the Bentley Hilton). How are these properties?

Is there a need for a rental car in Miami? My wife and I really enjoy food and want to explore some food spots that will most likely be outside of South Beach. However, parking options seem limited and only available at the hotel for around $40 a night, which is steep, but we would pay it if necessary.

Any of recommendations would be welcome.

We just got back from our first trip to Miami. I have to admit right off the bat that we didn't love it. But it was nice to get away from the Northeast COLD weather! We headed from Miami to Aruba, which was even better:) We stayed in the city at the Intercontinental. We did a hop-on-hop-off bus so we could visit all of the key places in 2 days & it took care of needing a car. With that said, there are some places that you really would need/want a car (or at least taxis, etc) to get to. We had the kids with us as well, so that really changes the nature and feel of a trip, so keep that in mind.

The South Beach area had tons of restaurants, so if you want to do beach & bars/restaurants, you really wouldn't need to leave that area on a short trip.

I have been to FL tons of times, and I like the Gulf Coast much better than the Atlantic Coast. Granted, there are so many different areas & they have different pros and cons. My favorites are Marco Island, Naples, Sanibel/Captiva, The Indian Shores/North Reddington/Clearwater area near Tampa, and Everglades National Park (and Orlando!). Have been to Miami, Ft Lauderdale a few times, Hollywood, West Palm Beach, Cape Canaveral, Jupiter,and a bunch of other places along the Atlantic Coast. Have not been to the Keys yet (it's on the list, as well as the panhandle area beaches).

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Looks like we will be going to Miami, as its easy to link up direct flights from BOS for the weekend, it provides a really good chance of warm weather for mid-February, and both my wife and I have never travelled to Miami and have always wanted to see the area.

Looking to get some opinions on hotels. We are thinking to spend two nights at the Hilton Bentley Miami South Beach and or final night at the Marriott StantonSouth Beach. Biggest determining factors for these two locations are that they are on right on the beach and close to each other (as we only have enough points for two nights at the Bentley Hilton). How are these properties?

Is there a need for a rental car in Miami? My wife and I really enjoy food and want to explore some food spots that will most likely be outside of South Beach. However, parking options seem limited and only available at the hotel for around $40 a night, which is steep, but we would pay it if necessary.

The Hilton is ridiculously overpriced. Its an ok hotel, but you're paying solely for the location, as its literally right on Lincoln Rd (the heart of SoBe). The Marriott is not worth the points. That hotel isn't a category 9 by a long shot. If you were going to break the bank, I'd say stay at the W South Beach: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1599 or the Loews: http://www.loewshotels.com/miami-beach/default. If you forced me at gun point I'd pick the Marriott. You can see on TripAdvisor that there are a ton of boutique hotels:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g34439-Miami_Beach_Florida-Hotels.html

As for a car, if you try and tell me where you want to go, I can let you know about transportation. You may end up being able to Uber it for cheaper than renting. There are parking garages around where you can park long term for cheap, so its not too bad depending on where your hotel is.
We just got back from our first trip to Miami. I have to admit right off the bat that we didn't love it. But it was nice to get away from the Northeast COLD weather! We headed from Miami to Aruba, which was even better:) We stayed in the city at the Intercontinental. We did a hop-on-hop-off bus so we could visit all of the key places in 2 days & it took care of needing a car. With that said, there are some places that you really would need/want a car (or at least taxis, etc) to get to. We had the kids with us as well, so that really changes the nature and feel of a trip, so keep that in mind.

The South Beach area had tons of restaurants, so if you want to do beach & bars/restaurants, you really wouldn't need to leave that area on a short trip.

I have been to FL tons of times, and I like the Gulf Coast much better than the Atlantic Coast. Granted, there are so many different areas & they have different pros and cons. My favorites are Marco Island, Naples, Sanibel/Captiva, The Indian Shores/North Reddington/Clearwater area near Tampa, and Everglades National Park (and Orlando!). Have been to Miami, Ft Lauderdale a few times, Hollywood, West Palm Beach, Cape Canaveral, Jupiter,and a bunch of other places along the Atlantic Coast. Have not been to the Keys yet (it's on the list, as well as the panhandle area beaches).
Lugging kids around Miami isn't a fun experience without a car. Hell, even with a car its not great. The Intercontinental isn't exactly positioned perfectly as you have to get a shuttle to go across the bridge. That's a pain in the ass.

Once you go north of Ft. Lauderdale, anything on the East cost is worth avoiding save for The Breakers hotel. West coast love sounds more like you enjoy the laid back "lets watch all these people who are about to break their hips" lifestyle. Courses for horses.

smittytabb

Staff member

I really like Miami and have been there many times. I love South Beach and stayed at The Bentley in March, which I really did enjoy. I also like the Ritz and Loews on South Beach. I agree that it is a good part of the city to be during a short trip. I have done it both ways with a car and without. It depends on what you want to do. Definitely don't have to have one.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
We are trying to keep out of pocket cash costs to a minimum right now, as we have a decent amount of points but with my wife's MBA tuition and trying to continue to max out of tax-advanategd retirement accounts, we are a bit cash poor.

So while the hotels listed above may not be "worth the points", thats really not a concern for us at this given moment. For the dates we are looking to go, they seem to be the best options on the beach (which is what we want).

Honestly, I was looking at every other area in Florida that will have warm weather in mid-February as I actually didn't want to go to Miami, but it seems most beach front property on the Gulf Coast that we could get with points has no availability. I may look one more time to make sure of this though.

Lugging kids around Miami isn't a fun experience without a car. Hell, even with a car its not great. The Intercontinental isn't exactly positioned perfectly as you have to get a shuttle to go across the bridge. That's a pain in the ass.

Once you go north of Ft. Lauderdale, anything on the East cost is worth avoiding save for The Breakers hotel. West coast love sounds more like you enjoy the laid back "lets watch all these people who are about to break their hips" lifestyle. Courses for horses.
Luckily my kids are old enough that there is no lugging involved anymore:p We were able to use the bus tour to get us around, so that was ok, but I agree it is not an easy place to get around with kids. The Intercontinental was fine. Everything was fine...just fine. Nothing great or nothing that made me want to revisit anytime soon. Nothing bad, just nothing great. We have been to the Breakers...with an infant, so again, it's a different experience.

I like the laid back feel of some of the west coast areas. And I am a shell collector, so enough said there:D I loved Marco Island and the Hilton there. Didn't see anyone close to hip breaking. I am old now though, so I have no interest in any kind of scene or watching other people. I mostly just pay attention to my kids, husband, and the location. It was different back in the day where I was interested in different kinds of experiences.

My best friend lived for years near Clearwater in a very sleepy town kind of place. Lots of great seafood, walk to the coffee place, and just spend the day on the beach with not another person in sight (no hotels on that stretch of beach & it seemed like no one else was there when we were!). That was so peaceful and relaxing. But it all depends on what someone is after, like you said....courses for horses ( haven't heard that one in ages).

smittytabb

Staff member
Luckily my kids are old enough that there is no lugging involved anymore:p We were able to use the bus tour to get us around, so that was ok, but I agree it is not an easy place to get around with kids. The Intercontinental was fine. Everything was fine...just fine. Nothing great or nothing that made me want to revisit anytime soon. Nothing bad, just nothing great. We have been to the Breakers...with an infant, so again, it's a different experience.

I like the laid back feel of some of the west coast areas. And I am a shell collector, so enough said there:D I loved Marco Island and the Hilton there. Didn't see anyone close to hip breaking. I am old now though, so I have no interest in any kind of scene or watching other people. I mostly just pay attention to my kids, husband, and the location. It was different back in the day where I was interested in different kinds of experiences.

My best friend lived for years near Clearwater in a very sleepy town kind of place. Lots of great seafood, walk to the coffee place, and just spend the day on the beach with not another person in sight (no hotels on that stretch of beach & it seemed like no one else was there when we were!). That was so peaceful and relaxing. But it all depends on what someone is after, like you said....courses for horses ( haven't heard that one in ages).
You aren't old :) We all have our preferences.

We are trying to keep out of pocket cash costs to a minimum right now, as we have a decent amount of points but with my wife's MBA tuition and trying to continue to max out of tax-advanategd retirement accounts, we are a bit cash poor.

So while the hotels listed above may not be "worth the points", thats really not a concern for us at this given moment. For the dates we are looking to go, they seem to be the best options on the beach (which is what we want).

Honestly, I was looking at every other area in Florida that will have warm weather in mid-February as I actually didn't want to go to Miami, but it seems most beach front property on the Gulf Coast that we could get with points has no availability. I may look one more time to make sure of this though.
Just my 2cents, but I think if I were you, I would focus on an easy flight and a good (beach, if that's what you want) hotel location with warm weather. If you are only going for 3 nights, you will have 2 days. If you like to be on the beach and get warm (believe me, it has been in the teens here so I am all about warm weather right now!), then finding that should be your top priority. Friends of ours went (without their kids) to Miami right before we did & stayed at the Bentley. It sounds like they had a great time. They went to the beach, walked around, ate some good food, went to some bars and just relaxed.

I don't know what other kinds of points you have, but people seem to like the Z Ocean (IHG) in South Beach. We walked by it & it was an easy walking location to lots of restaurants, beach, etc.

I don't know what the flights and weather are like for Clearwater, but there is a Hyatt right on the beach there (and tons of other hotels too). Lots of restaurants to walk to there as well, just obviously much smaller than Miami!

Andrew

Level 2 Member
Just my 2cents, but I think if I were you, I would focus on an easy flight and a good (beach, if that's what you want) hotel location with warm weather. If you are only going for 3 nights, you will have 2 days. If you like to be on the beach and get warm (believe me, it has been in the teens here so I am all about warm weather right now!), then finding that should be your top priority. Friends of ours went (without their kids) to Miami right before we did & stayed at the Bentley. It sounds like they had a great time. They went to the beach, walked around, ate some good food, went to some bars and just relaxed.

I don't know what other kinds of points you have, but people seem to like the Z Ocean (IHG) in South Beach. We walked by it & it was an easy walking location to lots of restaurants, beach, etc.

I don't know what the flights and weather are like for Clearwater, but there is a Hyatt right on the beach there (and tons of other hotels too). Lots of restaurants to walk to there as well, just obviously much smaller than Miami!
Thanks for the all the help. Yes, this trip is really about a short weekend getaway somewhere warm for a reprieve from the cold and dark northeastern winter. As mentioned above, my wife is doing her MBA right now, while also working full-time, so we have very few times during the year (at least for two years) that we can travel. We actually just spent a week in Turkey visiting her family, and while last year it was 60 degrees and sunny the whole time, this year it was about 45 and rained every day. Just bad luck.

Whichever points I "blow" right now or don't use in the most efficient manner, I will have plenty of time to recoup going forward with some signup bonuses or MS (if I choose to MS for hotel points, which I probably won't, as I can do better with cash back cards and my arrival).

I was looking at Clearwater, but from what I have read their is a much higher likelihood of warm weather a bit farther south during mid-February so I wanted to play it safe. I look at the Marco Island area but could not find any beach front properties with points.