Review Portland Marriott City Center

smittytabb

Staff member
My stay at the Portland Marriott City Center coincided with St. Patrick's Day weekend in March 2014. I really liked it that the hotel was easily reached from PDX by taking the MAX light rail to the Pioneer Square North stop, followed by a short walk to the property. The hotel has a welcoming lobby with a cozy feel with bookshelves and comfortable chairs. As it is a small boutique style hotel, the lobby is to that scale. As a Platinum I was upgraded to a spacious "skyline" corner room with what turned out to be a great view of the Sunday morning Shamrock run through the city. That corner is the best view in the hotel and the concierge lounge on another floor from my room takes up the same space on that floor. As the lounge was closed during the first couple of days of my 3 night stay, I was given a voucher for a continental breakfast (amenity for golds and platinums) in the hotel restaurant, DEN (Drink Eat Network). I handed the voucher to the waiter and he told me to get anything I wanted from the buffet, including hot foods and eggs to order, so not a continental breakfast at all! This was one of those situations where the breakfast was actually better on days the lounge was closed. I used the concierge lounge for breakfast on my last morning as well as an evening cocktail hour which offered hot hors d'oeuvres as well as beer and wine. The hotel was very comfortable and had a great location in the heart of the city. There was no need for a car as I was able to walk or use public transportation to get everywhere. The only complaint I would offer is that my room did have a bit of a mildew smell and I noted after my stay that the hotel does offer "allergy-friendly" rooms. So, if you have allergies or asthma, I would recommend that you be sure to request one of these.