Planning trip to Hawaii with senior

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Bit late in planning a trip, but would like to try.

I am planning to take my mother to Hawaii in December. She's a senior with limited mobility; can walk slowly, but cannot do trekking, climbing, snorkeling etc.

In the past, I have been to Maui, but not to other places. Not many options for lie-flat award availability in December, as I will be flying from mid-west.

- Which island is best for elderly people who like to walk in the beach, watch shows and just don't prefer strenuous activity?
- Hotels - again which one will have less fee on parking, 2 queen beds? Nothing fancy. I have Marriott 7-night certificate, but it's not applicable for > cat 5 hotels.
- Award travel - flying from ORD - only few economy seats available. Planning to redeem Singapore miles. Can I upgrade to biz as I get close?
- Anything else I need to be aware of?
- Or should I just drop this thought (I already moved points to Krisflyer acct?

Thanks!

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Decided to visit Maui again.
Booked AirBnb near Hana way for first 3 nights.
Plan to book Marriott for next 4 nights....still feel not a good redemption of points....

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I have been a few times with elderly relatives. I see you chose Maui, but in case you decide to island hop or anyone else goes, I'll add my thoughts.

I would say for islands, the Big Island was a bit more challenging just cuz it's so rocky and hilly. To walk near the volcano and stuff, which was a big highlight, was tough on my mother. Oahu was fine, there are still some places of course with uneven footing like shark's cove and the Waimea Valley with the hike to the falls, but in general there was close parking and plenty of other things to do that were not tough. I haven't been to Maui, so can't comment. Kauai was also pretty ok, but we didn't hike at Na Pali of course and some like to do that I think.

Parking in some areas was pretty tough, but we always used hotel entrances and dropped people off right at the door then would go find parking. Some scenic sites we just did the best we could, even pulling right up to the handicap spot and dropping off in front of it (not in it, just in case) then turning around and going out. We do wheelchairs in the airports, too.

Overall Hawaii was very doable for us, especially Oahu. We were just careful to plan, but many sites were accessible and cater to the elderly. Catamaran, beaches, shows, almost all of it was ok.

Last edited:

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
I have been a few times with elderly relatives. I see you chose Maui, but in case you decide to island hop or anyone else goes, I'll add my thoughts.

I would say for islands, the Big Island was a bit more challenging just cuz it's so rocky and hilly. To walk near the volcano and stuff, which was a big highlight, was tough on my mother. Oahu was fine, there are still some places of course with uneven footing like shark's cove and the Waimea Valley with the hike to the falls, but in general there was close parking and plenty of other things to do that were not tough. I haven't been to Maui, so can't comment. Kauai was also pretty ok, but we didn't hike at Na Pali of course and some like to do that I think.

Parking in some areas was pretty tough, but we always used hotel entrances and dropped people off right at the door then would go find parking. Some scenic sites we just did the best we could, even pulling right up to the handicap spot and dropping off in front of it (not in it, just in case) then turning around and going out. We do wheelchairs in the airports, too.

Overall Hawaii was very doable for us, especially Oahu. We were just careful to plan, but many sites were accessible and cater to the elderly. Catamaran, beaches, shows, almost all of it was ok.
Thanks for sharing.

I am going to go easy in this trip. Just sit back and relax.

Meanwhile, any ideas of using Chase UR points to book hotel, instead of booking award nights? The daily resort fee for the hotels is annoying.

Mcflyer

Level 2 Member
I've only been to Honolulu and forgive me for I am young and potentially it will be a different story for you guys. But if I were to recall doable activities, of course the beach is wonderful. The Polynesian Center is great with culture portrayal, fire dancing, shows, etc. The area isn't too small but if you give yourselves time I'm sure you could cover it all.

Hiking Diamondhead (i believe the name was) will probably be too rough. The whole island bus Tour is generally lax as well. Can't really speak on hotels.

I've never been to the other islands. Seeing you've already picked an island hope my post isn't too redundant