Planning my Sapphire travel credit spending

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I have a Chase Sapphire CC that will post an AF in mid-January. I am planning to use the $300 travel credit for 2018 and then cancel it. Obviously the timing will be critical.

My question is: if my December statement date has already passed, is it safe to do my 2018 spending now? I want my travel-related spending (probably Airbnb GCs) to count against my 2018 travel credit.

Thanks.

Last edited:

projectx

Level 2 Member
If I'm understanding your question correctly, the answer is yes. What matters for the travel credit is the statement closing date, not the date the purchase was made.

For example, I used my travel credit for 2017 in March. Now I have an upcoming cruise with a final payment that was due on 12/25/17. My statement cycle begins on 12/25 and closes 1/24. I made the payment on 12/24 (knowing it would take a couple days for it to post). It posted to my account on 12/27, along with the travel credit the same day.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
If I'm understanding your question correctly, the answer is yes. What matters for the travel credit is the statement closing date, not the date the purchase was made.

For example, I used my travel credit for 2017 in March. Now I have an upcoming cruise with a final payment that was due on 12/25/17. My statement cycle begins on 12/25 and closes 1/24. I made the payment on 12/24 (knowing it would take a couple days for it to post). It posted to my account on 12/27, along with the travel credit the same day.
I concur. I did my 2018 spend in Dec 2017 without even realizing it - until I looked at my statement. So much easier than Amex...

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
UPDATE: My 2018 travel credit posted on the same day (12/27) I purchased a $300 Airbnb GC. It couldn't have been easier.