Planning for 2022: Berlin+Israel+Spain

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
I am starting to plan a trip for next year. I have 80K Amex Gold miles on DH card and 64K miles on mine plus 160K Chase Sapphire Preferred miles on my card. We both have Amex gold (separately) and Chase Sapphire Preferred (separately(. Amex keeps offering me a platinum card but the fees are just to high to justify it in pandemic..
From JFK or EWR or PHL, I was thinking of Israel (Tel Aviv) then tour of Spain on coach for about 8-9 days with start in Madrid and end in Barcelona, or start Barcelona and end Madrid, but if it is better to arrive and depart same airport, then it can be just Madrid. Then the last leg is Berlin and then back. I would want 5-7 days each in Tel Aviv and Berlin. I would prefer it in that order.
Both, Globus and Trafalgar have nice Spain tours that I can book.
Probably May 2022. 2 passengers, coach is fine, business would be nice on the long legs.
Looking for pointers and advice. Which Airline? One ticket? 2? 3? I don't need accommodations in Israel and Berlin. This is airlines only.
Thank you

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
Dying..... And it's too bad. Only post are spammers for the last 6 months.

I wouldn't write off the Plat card. Even if you just booked an economy ticket through Amex travel using points you would be getting at least $1000 worth of the $595 fee or better depending on which bonus offer you get. Over the last couple years cash tickets to Europe have been so cheap that booking with the points instead of transferring to an airline has been a good option for me.

Now flying to Isreal / Middle East is a bit different because I would greatly prefer at least business class. And for middle east I usually use AA miles or Alaska Airline miles to book on AA or better yet Qatar. If you had any AA miles I would look at that option. You could also each apply for the Barclaycard Aviator (60,000) and maybe a Citi AA if you are able.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
Dying..... And it's too bad. Only post are spammers for the last 6 months.

I wouldn't write off the Plat card. Even if you just booked an economy ticket through Amex travel using points you would be getting at least $1000 worth of the $595 fee or better depending on which bonus offer you get. Over the last couple years cash tickets to Europe have been so cheap that booking with the points instead of transferring to an airline has been a good option for me.

Now flying to Isreal / Middle East is a bit different because I would greatly prefer at least business class. And for middle east I usually use AA miles or Alaska Airline miles to book on AA or better yet Qatar. If you had any AA miles I would look at that option. You could also each apply for the Barclaycard Aviator (60,000) and maybe a Citi AA if you are able.
Thank you for your response. I can transfer my points from Amex Gold to AA. I have done it in the past, or book through their portal. I will see what is better. Thank you for that advice. I didn't know about that. I don't know if I want any more new cards at this time, but I will look at all the options you mentioned. Thank you very much!