Phu Quoc?

Panache

Level 2 Member
We're thinking of using up the Cat 1-5 Marriott redemption and go a week to Phu Quoc, Vietnam. A brand new Cat 5 JW Marriott is there.

Has anyone been? How does it compare to Koh Samui or Phuket? We prefer not too touristy places but seems Marriotts are usually in touristy sites.

Also, how complicated is the Vietnam visa?

Thanks!

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
We went to Phu Quoc 4 or 5 years ago when La Verandah was getting all the buzz as one of the top new hotels in the world. It wasn't, but that's not your question. The beach area was pleasant. We enjoy going places where we can also do some non beach activities. About all we found to do was take a tour given by folks who had American Army jeeps from the Vietnam War. We went to a fish sauce factory but didn't find much of anything else to do on the island. The JW sounds interesting and it's likely you'd have a better stay experience than we did. I wouldn't count on there being a great deal to do elsewhere on the island, however.

Panache

Level 2 Member
No reviews posted on the JW Marriot on TA or elsewhere....it does seem it is far away and one will be stuck at the hotel all week and paying 5 star prices for all meals/drinks. Thanks for sharing!

Panache

Level 2 Member
Hmm, the garbage issue does not sound one bit charming. Maybe better use 10 or 20 K extra SPG and stay a week in Thailand. Thanks for sharing!

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
We lived in Hanoi for a couple of years and visit once or twice a year. Never been to Phu Quoc but many of my Vietnamese friends love it as did my wife's colleagues when she taught in Hanoi. Visas are much simpler than they used to be as US citizens can now get them online without sending in your passport. Just google vietnam visa and you'll find a bunch of companies that do it.

I haven't done this yet but have done the visa on arrival which is basically an application that allows you to get yours at the airport on the way in. It is an extra step so you wait in two lines so if you don't mind being without your passport for a few days, you can Fedex it to the Embassy and just get into the immigration line.