Phantom Tickets

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I often travel with entry at one point and exit at another. If I get a RTW or other package fare, no problem or if I have awards as they are usually 1/2 of RT for OW. Problem is, if I have to actually pay $$$. If OW is substantially more than RT, I know I CAN book RT and throw away the return.

Not worried about ethics as who am I harming but will airlines see this and do something to you like revoke your miles? If I only do it on airlines where I don't keep miles, is that different?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Not
Me too.

I edited the title to hidden city tickets.
Not really hidden city. That is like NY to Houston via Dallas. If you get off in Dallas, they wont let you board in Dallas to return to NY. Mine works but will airline keep track of me if I don't use the return?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
OK I changed it back to Phantom tickets.. perhaps someone can help.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Sounds like hidden city ticketing, except buying a RT instead of a OW.

Technically, yes, airlines could catch on and revoke miles and such. If you are truly concerned, don't add your FF account. In practice, I think this happens very rarely. I'm sure there are plenty of good (real or not) excuses as to why you skipped your return flight.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Thanks. I figure since I am flying one star alliance airline and putting miles on another one, I guess I should take the chance.