Personal Finances for Noobs

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
My knowledge of personal finances, including savings and investing, is completely non-existent (most of my money is in a savings account getting less than minimal interest).
What are some good resources to start my knowledge base? Any books or websites you can recommend that would give me a solid knowledge base? Any good general advice? TIA

waytoospicy

Level 2 Member
If you want to start, I would suggest opening and maximizing a Roth IRA first. I believe the limit is $5,500 per year. The earnings and distributions are non-taxable and a big benefit, is being able to withdraw tax free up to whatever you have contributed. I have my investments through Vanguard mutual funds since they have the lowest expenses/fees.

I suggest whenever you have time, to go to http://www.bogleheads.org/index.php and read about investing. Their forum is also very good and helpful.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Another useful website focuses on Financial Independence and Retire Early (FIRE). http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/

The folks there are very welcoming and includes all levels from the novice to financial experts. They are happy to answer any questions.

The site has one of the best and most extensive financial calculators to help you determine whether you are on track for your goals and the odds of having enough or running out of money.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
My knowledge of personal finances, including savings and investing, is completely non-existent (most of my money is in a savings account getting less than minimal interest).
What are some good resources to start my knowledge base? Any books or websites you can recommend that would give me a solid knowledge base? Any good general advice? TIA
I'd like you to start right here. Saverocity has a massive focus on personal finances, savings and investments, and I'd be glad to help. I'll set up something today that might start get the ball rolling. In the meantime, please let me know what sort of questions you have.

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
I'd like you to start right here. Saverocity has a massive focus on personal finances, savings and investments, and I'd be glad to help. I'll set up something today that might start get the ball rolling. In the meantime, please let me know what sort of questions you have.
Thanks! I've read many of your posts and they are extremely informative. My problem is that I'm missing basic knowledge in this area. Before I can even ask intelligently, I need to learn the lingo. I borrowed a book called "personal finances for people who don't have time." It was published in 1998 and a lot of it seems dated ("cellular telephones are not a necessity") Are there any books you recommend just for the basics?
Thanks again.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any great examples of basic stuff, but I am being asked increasingly for it. I will keep looking and am actually keen to write something up myself on this too.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Thanks! I've read many of your posts and they are extremely informative. My problem is that I'm missing basic knowledge in this area. Before I can even ask intelligently, I need to learn the lingo. I borrowed a book called "personal finances for people who don't have time." It was published in 1998 and a lot of it seems dated ("cellular telephones are not a necessity") Are there any books you recommend just for the basics?
Thanks again.
If you are looking for a basic book, try The Truth About Money by Ric Edelman. He was named the number 1 independent financial advisor by Barrons. The book is a primer for learning the basics. If you look at Amazon, you'll see that it receives 4.5 stars out of five by reviewers. I have it and have lent it to many of the new employees I've trained who recently graduated from college.

chunkalunk

Level 2 Member
I suggest you first start tracking your money/finances - use a spreadsheet or something like mint.com (i use both)

What you want to see is all your assets: bank accounts, investment accounts (401k, IRA, brokerage), property value, car, etc -AND- all your liabilities: mortgage, cc balances, car loan. This helps you find out your net worth (assets - liabilities), and starts to give you a benchmark to track over time

Mint.com will help you see how your money is flowing in (paychecks, interest, etc) and flowing out (mortgage, dining out, gas, shopping) each month

Start there and perhaps it'll help you generate more specific questions to bring back. GL!

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
Excellent advice. I have been using mint to track my finances and I do have a net positive cash flow. I guess what I really want to learn is how to manage it wisely. As I mentioned, all my cash is in a savings account earning less than 1% interest. I want my money to start working for me by investing it correctly.

chunkalunk

Level 2 Member
1) Don't carry any CC balances
2) Consolidate or payoff high % interest loans
3) Max your 401k, at least up to the amount of a company match (if any). Company match is basically free money.
4) Max your IRA/Roth IRA
5) If you don't know anything about the stock market, look to invest money into Index Funds
6) Keep enough cash for rainy days or emergencies (broken appliances, fixing house problems, replacing a vehicle, etc)

Oh, and check out the Personal Finance Review thread that Matt started....if you want more specific help, we'll need more specific info. =)

TBB

Level 2 Member
There is a lot of material at Vanguard.com

Sometimes people need to admit they may be better served by a financial planner. I understand there are a lot of snakes out there that should never be trusted because they can fleece you. It's an industry challenge for sure.

Frankly, all you need is the Chase Ink Bold. If you can talk your way into getting both the Chase Ink Bold and Plus you are just golden, nothing can stop you :)

Alex1432

Level 2 Member
Excellent advice. I have been using mint to track my finances and I do have a net positive cash flow. I guess what I really want to learn is how to manage it wisely. As I mentioned, all my cash is in a savings account earning less than 1% interest. I want my money to start working for me by investing it correctly.
Unfortunately there is no simple answer. I believe good finance varries from person to person. If you have 5k or 50k or 500k determines a lot of options so does your age, family, goals, and job. I think the post by chunk is good starting point though if you just want a list but a lot more detail is needed for tailored advice

tmount

Administrator
So maybe this isn't at the "noob" level - but what about knocking hard pulls off of your credit score; any suggestions on that?

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
If you are looking for a basic book, try The Truth About Money by Ric Edelman. He was named the number 1 independent financial advisor by Barrons. The book is a primer for learning the basics. If you look at Amazon, you'll see that it receives 4.5 stars out of five by reviewers. I have it and have lent it to many of the new employees I've trained who recently graduated from college.
in middle of reading it and it's really informative so far. Thanks!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
A couple of months ago, I signed up for a trial of freescoresandmore.com that gave me access to all 3 credit bureau scores. Is there a similar "cheap" version available that will provide these scores? I have Quizzle, CreditSesame, CreditKarma..as well as access to my FICO score from my CC.

derek

Level 2 Member
I've heard that MS can actually help your credit score since it usually comes with a high CL and spend (duh), but if you pay it off on time everytime, it shows you are more reliable than someone who has 0-1 cards with very little spend/CL. True?

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I've heard that MS can actually help your credit score since it usually comes with a high CL and spend (duh), but if you pay it off on time everytime, it shows you are more reliable than someone who has 0-1 cards with very little spend/CL. True?
YES! My FICO score and other credit bureau scores improved - ironically (seems counter intuitive) - since I started to MS. Definitely read Matt's blog posts re: credit utilization. Paying off statement balance BEFORE statement closes contributed to my scores, rather than waiting until payment due date. Plus I always pay off personal before business balances.

F

Fuerza

There is a lot of material at Vanguard.com

Sometimes people need to admit they may be better served by a financial planner. I understand there are a lot of snakes out there that should never be trusted because they can fleece you. It's an industry challenge for sure.

Frankly, all you need is the Chase Ink Bold. If you can talk your way into getting both the Chase Ink Bold and Plus you are just golden, nothing can stop you :)
What do you mean by the Chase Ink credit card references?

Badassity

Level 2 Member
Hello Ushdadude,

There are an absolute ton of books on investing. And depending on the ones you read first it can really effect the type of investment decisions you make for a long time. From whether you decide to use an advisor (not for me but I did it in the beginning), decide to buy individual stocks, or be a passive investor and buy ETFs or index funds. Or even just sticking with fixed income only. I went through a ton of books when I first started out years ago and fortunately I stumbled upon Four Pillars of Investing which led me to other books of similar philosophy.

I think first off you need to understand that most people have a strong opinion about which method is best. And sometimes those opinions are self serving. Like for instance, financial planners that sell mutual funds.

Keep stashing away your cash the way you are and spend a few more months gathering the basics. Don't just read a book on how to trade stocks on margin or just about index investing (although that wins hands down - in my opinion). Read a few about each technique and then you can make a better choice about what fits you best. I strongly recommend starting out with books simply about personal finance... Your Money or Your Life comes to mind easily. It covers the most important basics like living well below your means. Don't get stuck on formulas or typical 40 years to retirement advice. That is, if you follow generic advice like 'save 20% of your income for retirement' and 'stay out of debt' it will take you decades to get to retirement. Though that said, you'll be doing better than a giant portion of the North American population if you do it that way.

If you keep an open mind and decide to push your envelope you can be financially independent (or reach your goal if that's not it) in a surprisingly short period of time.

Although I'm where I want to be right now ... It would have been great if mrmoneymustache.com was around in my 20s. Will he was, but not his blog. I highly recommend you check it out, especially the earlier posts. You don't need to be nearly as extreme as some of the ideas recommended there but there are some seriously awesome posts that can kick start your financial journey (the Shockingly Simple Math post for instance). As previously mentioned, the bogleheads forum is great as well.

Hopefully you find all the reading engrossing!
B

Badassity

Level 2 Member
Another useful website focuses on Financial Independence and Retire Early (FIRE). http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/

The folks there are very welcoming and includes all levels from the novice to financial experts. They are happy to answer any questions.

The site has one of the best and most extensive financial calculators to help you determine whether you are on track for your goals and the odds of having enough or running out of money.
Oh yes! I ditto the early-retirement.org forum as well.