Paying with UR cheaper than transferring points?

SeanPIT

Level 2 Member
Hi all. I'm new, so bear with me here. Just about everything I've been reading during the past couple of months has indicated that it's better to transfer Ultimate Rewards to airline miles/points than to book directly through the UR mall. But, out of curiosity, I checked out the cost of a PIT>AMS round-trip in March, and I found the opposite. It would cost appx. 90k UR points but 130k MileagePlus miles for the same trip. As I said, I'm just learning, so I want to know if I'm missing something obvious, or if this trip actually would be better booked through the UR mall.

Thanks!
Seán

asthejoeflies

Staff member
I assume both these flights are in economy? If that's the case, then booking with United is probably at the "standard", more expensive level, and yes in that case UR would be a better deal. But if you are flying from USA=>Europe in economy at the "saver" level, it should cost 60K round trip on United which would be the better deal. The trick is finding the "saver" space (blue if you're using the United website, as opposed to standard which is yellow)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I assume both these flights are in economy? If that's the case, then booking with United is probably at the "standard", more expensive level, and yes in that case UR would be a better deal. But if you are flying from USA=>Europe in economy at the "saver" level, it should cost 60K round trip on United which would be the better deal. The trick is finding the "saver" space (blue if you're using the United website, as opposed to standard which is yellow)
Agreed. There was no way this was a Biz ticket due to the low number of UR required so it was an award space issue. Sean, it can be that there are times where it is better to pay with UR in the way you suggest, but it is almost always for Domestic flights. You should never book those yellow awards, always try to find blue.

UA.png

When flying in Blue it is always better to transfer - and sometimes if you can afford it smarter to pick Business class at 57.5K over Economy at 65k.

ps - note that the number of connections you make impacts your fee- there is another route that goes to NY then AMS and has a $5.60 fee, this one listed is higher because you need to pay for airport security at different airports in EU on your way.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Does the free checked bag perk apply if you pay for any of the fees with Chase United Explorer card?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Does the free checked bag perk apply if you pay for any of the fees with Chase United Explorer card?
Not sure, if I ever fly domestic I tend to not check. I think that with the Citi/AA combo it is automatic as a perk regardless of using it, but may be wrong about that too. I dunno, I haven't paid a checked baggage fee ever. We will see how that changes now I am schlepping a family though :)

asthejoeflies

Staff member
Haha oh it does change indeed. Well, still haven't paid :p

Anyway, I do think you have to pay for the ticket to get the free bag perk, though for an award paying for the taxes/fees would count for that. That's unlike Citi/AA where you just have to have the card and the AAdvantage # on the ticket

SeanPIT

Level 2 Member
Thank you, all. I didn't see the blue, which explains a lot of my problem. Beyond that, all of your help has been great. If we get and use the Chase United Explorer card to pay for the fees, we will get the first standard checked bag free for both of us (the primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation).

The route we're thinking would give us an 11.5-hour layover in Vienna on the way there. Obviously not enough time to do much, but I see it as a bonus.

SeanPIT

Level 2 Member
Ah, you're right. Thanks. I guess now I need to figure out if I really want to get the Chase United Explorer card or apply for a Chase Ink. The United Explorer card offers priority boarding, which, in my experience, isn't too expensive to purchase on its own. The Ink card's 5x bonus on cable/internet/telecom and 2x on gas are more appealing at this point. But I do need to research some more.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I can meet the requirements to get the bonus points/miles for both in three months, so I might as well try for both.

Last edited: