Paris-Berlin

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
My wife and I used the Air France deal for 20,000 bonus AX Member Rewards to book Premium Economy flights, hoping to possibly upgrade with miles (or not, it's not a long flight).

Since we are already going to be in Paris for a week in May, I was seeking a break in the middle of the November trip. As huge opera fans and longtime Accor Platinum members, I thought first of Brussels or Amsterdam, but there's nothing special at those opera houses.

Berlin and Munich were my next choices and I struck gold as there are back to back Wagner performances at the Deutsche Oper at just the right time. Our long relationship with Sofitel Gendarmenmarkt got me a really good deal with guaranteed upgrade and flexibility in case the Accor website has anything better in between.

All I needed was good award flights CDG-TXL. We both have a ton of LifeMiles but Lufthansa wants 15,000 miles each way and all flights involve a connection. Air France has flights totaling 19000 each and only $62 in fees so I was able to use 38000 Citi Thank You Points to get the flights non-stop and at good times. I could have spent fewer miles but why take a 7:30 am flight?!

I'm sure gurus will say I overpaid, but I'm pleased.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Cash prices for CDG-TXL round trip is < $150 in November. Was that not the case for your dates? I see $108 on Airberlin (non-stop, multiple time options throughout the day) regularly. Might have been better off redeeming Citi/Chase/Amex points towards the cash price @ 1-1.5cents per point (depending on the products you have) rather than do a 19k +$62 award.

But not big deal in the end. Just some advice for future reference.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Cash prices for CDG-TXL round trip is < $150 in November. Was that not the case for your dates? I see $108 on Airberlin (non-stop, multiple time options throughout the day) regularly. Might have been better off redeeming Citi/Chase/Amex points towards the cash price @ 1-1.5cents per point (depending on the products you have) rather than do a 19k +$62 award.

But not big deal in the end. Just some advice for future reference.
Thanks. I looked at it. I think yes around $152. Less if would fly at 7 am but we won't leave our hotel at 5 am to save a few $$$.

I see what you are saying so maybe next time could have redeemed Citi TYP and used only about 23K. I have to remember that one. With airfares so low, using points to purchase looks like best option. Well, better on this flight than on a longhaul upper class!

Would I earn mileage if pay with points? How about hotel, would I earn points and get status perks?

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Thanks. I looked at it. I think yes around $152. Less if would fly at 7 am but we won't leave our hotel at 5 am to save a few $$$.

I see what you are saying so maybe next time could have redeemed Citi TYP and used only about 23K. I have to remember that one. With airfares so low, using points to purchase looks like best option. Well, better on this flight than on a longhaul upper class!

Would I earn mileage if pay with points? How about hotel, would I earn points and get status perks?
Yes, you earn miles if you pay with points. For better or worse (usually better), paying with points on the US-based airlines sometimes books into a "special fare" that earns based on distance rather than on ticket price. Of course you can always earn based on distance by crediting to a partner airline.

As for hotels, I believe universally you do not earn points for third party bookings, which is what paying with points is. I think Marriott will recognize your elite benefits on a third party booking (though no point earn), but all the other chains you are treated as non-elite.

So you have to do your own caculus on hotel stays - point savings vs status earn/recogniton, but for flights is a simple comparison of price.

Last edited: