Panama City, Panama - Car rental advice

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
I've never rented a car abroad. Planning a Panama City trip later on this year. Hotel provides free parking, so i was considering car rental. Anybody with any experience there or in central america? Is it a reasonable idea or is safety a concern? All I need is a driveable (probably not comfortable with a rental manual) car with AC. I just don't want to be scammed.

On that note, which credit card do you recommend for insurance coverage? Someone had mentioned using Amex's program and then swapping out credit card if there are no incidents on returning. I don't have an INT'L friendly amex card though, but I think that's a reasonable idea, but I also don't see why I wouldn't use another card like sapphire or barclay arrival.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Too bad the Giant/S&S gas points won't work abroad. Hopefully fuel is not anymore pricey than in the US.

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
I've never rented a car abroad. Planning a Panama City trip later on this year. Hotel provides free parking, so i was considering car rental. Anybody with any experience there or in central america? Is it a reasonable idea or is safety a concern? All I need is a driveable (probably not comfortable with a rental manual) car with AC. I just don't want to be scammed.

On that note, which credit card do you recommend for insurance coverage? Someone had mentioned using Amex's program and then swapping out credit card if there are no incidents on returning. I don't have an INT'L friendly amex card though, but I think that's a reasonable idea, but I also don't see why I wouldn't use another card like sapphire or barclay arrival.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Too bad the Giant/S&S gas points won't work abroad. Hopefully fuel is not anymore pricey than in the US.
My experience is very dated, like early 90s, but I remember crazy drivers and small parking areas. I wouldn't do it unless it really made sense on where you want to go because it might be stressful. I think staying PC with a side trip to the closest canal locks is doable via cab or even public transport.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
We came back from Panama recently, had a great little trip. We did not rent a car and used cabs where needed, but also we were 'city folk' at the time from NY so getting a car isn't an instant decision. We managed to do pretty much everything we wanted, but for a longer stay and more delving into the rainforest areas I would recommend it.

We snagged the Penthouse Suite of the WA, pretty epic (two floors...) for one of those weird HH rates - standard room was 50,000 and the next up was 50,333 or something, that in turn got the bump up.. http://saverocity.com/trips/from-panama-city-panama-to-san-juan-puerto-rico/

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the responses! I was thinking of using it for trips to the rainforest but I guess I'd have to account for traffic patterns and navigation so it's probably best to avoid it. i take it they don't take credit card in the cabs there so i can't get 2x! The Gamboa resort looks phenomenal on the website but the tripadvisor reviews look poor. I certainly want to check out one of their rainforest tours.

That penthouse suite is impressive. How did you stay there for free? Was it a voucher or points-based redemption?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the responses! I was thinking of using it for trips to the rainforest but I guess I'd have to account for traffic patterns and navigation so it's probably best to avoid it. i take it they don't take credit card in the cabs there so i can't get 2x! The Gamboa resort looks phenomenal on the website but the tripadvisor reviews look poor. I certainly want to check out one of their rainforest tours.

That penthouse suite is impressive. How did you stay there for free? Was it a voucher or points-based redemption?
We really enjoyed the rainforest, lots of animals on our tour (it was a boat safari) no problems getting there via cab. The suite I explained above, just HH points 50,333 got us from regular room to one step up, and that in turn got bumped all the way up. At check out they wanted money, so I think they had us coded in as revenue customers hence the super upgrade, but it was quickly cleared up.