Pack For A Purpose

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
Wondering how many people take part in this program when they travel. I have a trip to the Bahamas in Oct and one for Curaçao in March. I'm starting to gather school supplies and soccer balls. It made me think..with all these bloggers and pointers flying all over the world...does anyone participate or do anything similar? It's so easy if your hotel participates and it's not much effort with people in and out of Staples and Walmart everyday. My Bahamas hotel doesn't participate so we're looking to contact a school directly for a drop off.

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
My family and I participate every year on our annual cruise. The kids are responsible for doing a donation drive and to gather the things. I am responsible for identifying the participating charity at one of our ports of call. And my wife is responsible for packing the stuff.

It is great to be able to help out and the stuff is truly appreciated. Best of all is the life lesson for my kids about how fortunate we are in our every day life and the opportunity to meet children from different backgrounds.

Here's a pic of the children at the Violet Petty School in St. Kitts where we donated our items this year. All of the items pictured fit into a spare suitecase that we then use to pack our souveniers for the return trip:

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
We participated in the Pack for a Purpose when stay at the Hacienda Chichen, next to Chichen Itza. The hotel organizes it and you work off a wish list on their website.

I love the idea of doing it no matter where we go. Gloobnib, your family sounds awesome!

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
Thanks guys. I actually read about this from one of "the bloggers" when I first got into the miles and points game 3 years back. I know the MS community likes to bash on the bloggers, but I would have never even considered doing this if I hadn't read about it in one of the blogs.

I learn so much about general travel from them. It's just too bad that the way they (some of them) make money is so diametrically apposite to the longevity of The Deal.