Organizing my credit cards (Tidying Up)

asthejoeflies

Staff member
Organizing your credit cards

So I wrote a few weeks ago that I planned to tidy up my travel hacking stuff – I didn’t forget! I resolved to tackle one area at a time, Marie Kondo style, so I dedicated a few minutes a day to organizing my credit cards physically and virtually. I finished just before we left for Japan, which seemed timely given the inspiration. Anyway, here’s how I decided to organize everything – would love to hear other thoughts and ideas on how to organize your credit cards that those who are more organized might have!

Here are the steps that I took, although if I were to do it again I might have dealt with all the physical cards first and then deal with my spreadsheets.

Step 1: Clean up spreadsheet by moving all canceled cards out

So the first thing I decided to do was to clean up my virtual spreadsheet that I keep on Google Sheets. My sheet has multiple tabs but the main tabs I worked with here were my “active” and “cancelled” credit card tabs. Here’s the information I keep in both tabs:

Credit card spreadsheet

Note the fine print

I recognize that’s a little small, if you can’t read it, I record Bank, Card, Date Opened, Date to cancel, Autopay, Owner, Fee, Credit limit, Last 4 digits, and Notes. All of these are pretty self explanatory – I noted the last 4 so I can keep track of different cards, especially the ones I haven’t taken out in awhile. “+1” on owner means I added an authorized user, though I’ve stopped doing that (thanks for nothing, Chase).

When I cancel a card I strikethrough the entire line and note the cancellation date, but I had to clean up by moving some cards over to my “cancelled” tab. I also did a look through and make sure that I recognized all the cards on my list, though more on that later.

The big thing I had to do here was add last 4 digits for a bunch of cards. Sometimes I sign up in bunches and get lazy, part of my tidying up resolution is to put all the right information in as soon as I receive the cards.

Step 2: Remove all credit cards from my credit card holder, organize by bank

The next thing I decided to tackle was my super messy credit card holder. I use one of those folders with plastic sleeves, a gift from my wife a few years ago. When I first received the book to hold my cards, I decided to organize the cards by date opened. That turned out to be a mistake, cancelled cards would leave empty sleeves, which would require moving all my credit cards “up” a slot. Eventually, I stopped taking out my cancelled cards altogether, or when I received new cards (like when banks would replace cards that expired or what not) I would leave the old ones in. Needless to say, my credit card “organizer” was a hot mess.

Organizing credit cards

I completely emptied this thing out

So I decided to organize my credit cards by category. I took them all out of the sleeve and also grabbed all the cards that I left in my desk (the “sometimes I’ll use it” cards). I stacked them all by bank and got rid of any cancelled cards. This got me ready to re-organize my cards in the now empty credit card holder. I also took this opportunity to cancel a few credit cards that no longer sparked joy.

Step 3: Dispose of old cards

In the process of organizing my physical cards, I found a bunch of cards that had already expired but I hadn’t gotten rid of. I also cancelled a few credit cards whose annual fees I could no longer justify paying. (Those, frankly, should have been cancelled long ago). So I cut up all these cards which made for a great picture:

Disposing of my credit cards

This probably doesn’t make a difference, but I always dispose of my cut credit cards over two trash cycles. Or, if I’m feeling extra paranoid, I dispose of one half of the cut card at home and one half at work. Seems silly, but I’m a silly guy.

Step 4: Organize credit card holder by bank

After I organized my credit cards by bank, I had stacks of credit cards like this:

Not pictured: Barclays

That made it very simple to put cards back into my credit card holder. Of course, cards that I use regularly went back to my wallet.

My theory is this will make it much easier to keep my credit cards organized. Now, when I cancel a card, like a Chase card for example, I just free up a slot in the “Chase” section of my holder. This should be way less annoying than when I had my credit cards organized by date.

Step 5: Reconcile my credit card holder with my spreadsheet

The last thing I did was to reconcile the newly organized cards in my credit card holder with my spreadsheet. That meant double checking that things like expiration dates made sense given the date I thought I had opened the card (they should normally be around the same month +/- 1).

Embarrassingly, I found a credit card that I had never typed into my spreadsheet. So I’m glad I did this if for that reason alone! Once I was done, I had the last 4 digits for every single card which also should help quite a bit in the future.

At this point, I was done organizing my credit cards and it felt great.

Staying organized in the future

Like I said, organizing my credit cards by bank should help me keep organized in the future. I’ve also resolved to dedicate 15-20 minutes a week to making sure my credit card holder and spreadsheet are in order. Another thing I need to make sure to do is to be vigilant about updating my spreadsheet whenever I open/cancel a card. But I think now that I have things organized, these small maintenance tasks should be much more manageable.

Never again…hopefully.
Final Thoughts

Organizing my credit cards not only helped me to have a better track of where my credit cards were, it also helped me catch some mistakes that could have cost me money in the long run. I know I should have been better organized in the first place, but I wasn’t. Hopefully this will help me stay more organized in the future.

How do you all keep your credit cards organized, both physically and virtually? I’d love to hear your ideas and suggestions in the comments!

Never miss a post! Subscribe below and receive an e-mail once a day for new posts from asthejoeflies. Also, follow our family adventures on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Or, if you’re looking for a miles, points, and travel podcast, check out my podcast the Saverocity Observation Deck on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, or this Patreon page!

Enjoying asthejoeflies and want to support the work? Check out our support page!

Subscribe to asthejoeflies

First Name

Email Address

Click “subscribe” to receive an e-mail every day that new posts are up on asthejoeflies!

Continue reading...

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
I use the same binders as you. I have three binders:

• Chase
  • AMEX
  • all others incl Citi, Barclays, CNB, Bank of America
Within a binder, I have four sections:

• mine, personal
  • mine, business
  • husband, personal
  • husband, business
Within each of those are two sections, open and closed. I mark the closed cards with a date as to when I closed them. This is useful for banks that require a two year span between closing and reopening a new card or AMEX for whom a bonus is once in a lifetime.

This system works extremely well for me. I only carry the cards for which I have an active need. My Chase Sapphire is always in my wallet. If I am going to Staples, I get out the Chase Ink card that gives 5x points. If I am traveling and staying at a Hilton, I get out my Hilton AMEX. And so on. At the start of the year, I go thru the folders and pull out the cards that have annual rebate categories. I work those off quickly and return them to their folders.