ORD to BKK December 2016

Sky WIzard

Level 2 Member
Hi All,

So I made a post a couple months ago searching for AA rewards only, I would like to expand. I am now willing to use any miles that I own.

My only requirements are: need 2 seats, the cheaper the better, easiest to book/secure a seat, and must be Business or First for 80% of the trip.

Looking to depart Dec 25 or 26 2016, and return Jan 13/14 2017.

My current stash is:

600k AA miles
75k UA Miles
250k UR Points
150k SPG
100k Delta Miles

Ideally, I would like to use the AA miles before Devaluation.

Also would like to do a stopover (Hong Kong or Japan) and realize a true stopover would only be achievable with united.

Does anyone have a reference where I could view when all flights open up for awards booking (ie 330 days for AA etc). I am also curious which is best time to book for each carrier...right away, or wait until closer to travel date.

Any other tips, advice, or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Really want to make this trip special.

Last edited:

druiddation

Level 2 Member
Dec 25 2:05p ORD arrive Dec 26 7:55p HKG in first on CX0807. And then CX0701 on Dec 27 4:10p HKG arriving 6:10p in BKK in first.

druiddation

Level 2 Member
One option would be to book 1 seat in first and 1 seat in business for the ORD-HKG leg on CX, and hope that they open up another seat in first before the flight. Or book 2 biz awards seats together. I'd prefer to use AA miles as well on that route before the devaluation, and because you have more of them.

Sky WIzard

Level 2 Member
One option would be to book 1 seat in first and 1 seat in business for the ORD-HKG leg on CX, and hope that they open up another seat in first before the flight. Or book 2 biz awards seats together. I'd prefer to use AA miles as well on that route before the devaluation, and because you have more of them.
What about JAL through Tokyo? We are considering flying to Tokyo, staying there for a few nights, and then on to BKK. Thoughts? I realize this will be 2 awards.

What is the best way to search JAL awards? I am having trouble.

Sky WIzard

Level 2 Member
So my 330 days is opening soon for JAL, any tips or pointers? I am not seeing any availability 330 days from now which is discouraging.

Panache

Level 2 Member
I see plenty of open space ORD-NRT in early December on ba.com, however it seems mostly economy and only a few days with First/Business. Guess JAL has cut back on premium award space. I booked first and business class tickets to Tokyo for a trip in May over the past summer and lots of days with 2 seats in premium cabin out of ORD or NYC

stellar

Level 2 Member
I just booked a flight last week. I saw some (i wouldn't say 'plenty' but definitely several seats available) out of ORD and DFW for Nov + Dec on JAL.

stellar

Level 2 Member
Yes, used BA.com to search and did one-way segments. I tried all JAL US gateway cities.
Also, I've found that availability seems decent 6-9 months out, but under 6 months seems very sketchy, but seems to open back up about 3 weeks before desired date.

druiddation

Level 2 Member
ORD-NRT would be most convenient but if you can't find any space for the dates you want then you could try a connection and then hope ORD opens up last minute. I've had good luck with SFO-HND in the past. JAL also flies NRT flights to BOS, DFW, JFK, LAX and YVR (also HNL and SAN but those might have their old seats).