One reason to potentially defer your Covid-19 vaccine

italdesign

Level 2 Member
If you want to be vaccinated against Covid-19, should you get it as soon as possible? For many, including me, the answer is yes. But there is one travel-related reason you might think twice about.

It’s the likeliness that many countries will continue to be conservative in reopening to visitors. Personally, I think it’s unlikely that countries that have closed their borders and effectively minimized Covid cases will suddenly open their borders to all vaccinated visitors. Were I to guess, it’s more likely they’ll wait until data proves vaccination effect on transmission. Personally, based on some basic understanding of vaccines and the outstanding clinical performance of the current vaccines from Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J, I think it’s likely they will be highly effective in preventing transmission for more than 3 months. However, until such data comes out about the longevity of immunity, the current conservative assumption I’m hearing is 3 months.

Over time, say by summer 2021, we should see some countries/regions open their borders to some vaccinatees. My guess is many will have a policy that prioritizes those vaccinated within the last ~3 months, allowing them to skip Covid testing and quarantine. We’re seeing this from New York state. For this reason alone, it can be argued that getting the vaccine close to departure might be easier for travel. And if the US government’s estimate on vaccine availability is anything close, there should be vaccine for most Americans by early summer.

Of course, this is looking at it from a very narrow lens centered around travel. Personally, I think the safety conferred by getting the vaccine earlier far outweighs any travel consideration in most cases. In many cases, you’d still be allowed into a country/region with a negative Covid test. Some countries will require that on top of vaccination anyway, others may not allow anyone in for a while regardless of vaccination.

Still, it’s worth pointing this out.

What’s your strategy for vaccination and travel?

The post One reason to potentially defer your Covid-19 vaccine appeared first on Points Adventure.

Continue reading...

projectx

Level 2 Member
Of course, this is looking at it from a very narrow lens centered around travel. Personally, I think the safety conferred by getting the vaccine earlier far outweighs any travel consideration in most cases.
This. I'm getting my vaccine ASAP. Not just for myself, but for others as recent studies suggest the vaccine doesn't just protect against symptoms, but also getting and transmitting the virus.