OK to Cancel Citi Exec Before the Bonus Miles Post?

papa

Level 2 Member
The terms and conditions of the Citi Exec state that the annual fee will be refunded if the card is canceled within 30 days of the annual fee posting. The fee posted on my first statement, but I had not yet met the minimum spend. I have now met the minimum spend, and I am still within the 30 days of the annual fee posting. Since I haven't gotten my second statement yet, the bonus miles have not posted. This is my second card, so if possible, I'd like to cancel to get the $450 back.

I read through the thread on Flyertalk, but I couldn't find this addressed specifically. If I cancel the card before the miles post, will the bonus miles still post on my second statement? I assume they will, but I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with canceling before the bonus miles post.

papa

Level 2 Member
In case anyone is watching this, here's what ended up happening. I went the safe route and waited for the miles to post before canceling. The annual fee was charged on my August 15 statement. According to the T&C, I would have until 9/15 to cancel and get the annual fee refunded (30 days). The AA bonus miles didn't post until 9/17, which is when I canceled the card by secure message. Sure enough, I checked my Citi account, and the annual fee was refunded - even though I didn't cancel until 32 days after it posted.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I appreciate the feedback on this- not something I would do, but glad it worked out for you.

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
The general guideline is up to 37 days after the fee posts works, even though the T&C's say otherwise. I would not cut it close and always expect a positive result, however.