Office Max Good Deal

Stuck in KC

Level 2 Member
Just came from office max. Bought nine 100 Visa cards. Some kind of computer glitch. Should have cost the 5.95 on each card but the computer took off $15 per card for each of the hundreds, so ended up with about eighty dollars in profit. Then they shut me down...was mentioned on couponing sites earlier today but is not in their ad as far as I can tell.....

Stuck in KC

Level 2 Member
Think it is a special. Was in their little scan book. They had no two hundreds so I took nine one hundreds to register, total came to 954 ish , told him there was a coupon and suddenly we were at 818. Told me it wasn't working correctly, I countered that I was not the one who programmed their machine and that I had come to buy two hundred dollar cards for summer family birthdays and they did not have any of those available. He said he would have to check with the manager to sell me any more but of course that never happened.

Also, almost every card had the pin strip pulled loose, told him they were non-sale able that way but as I was leaving I saw him put them all back on the hooks. This was the third store I stopped at this evening, others had no hundreds or two hundreds available. Kansas City suburbs.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
I picked up 4 x $200 this morning. Cashier scanned coupon and register took $15 off each. Total was $767.80. :)

Headed to OD to see if it works there...

Abhflying

Level 2 Member
Opps!! somehow transaction posted twice ($454)on my credit card, not sure if this happened to anyone else.....

shootenducs

Level 2 Member
I stopped @ 2 OM on the way home and all the VGC's I bought had a $15 credit. One store had the sign for $15 off of 300 and the other didn't.

Stuck in KC

Level 2 Member
I've bought a total of 31 at local stores. Thank goodness for oblivious teen cashiers....have only had trouble with manager at first purchase. Will be a pain to load all these 100's but for the amount saved should be worth it.

Abhflying

Level 2 Member
I tried 2 OM in my area, Manager's have some kind of instructions from corporate. They call to confirm my CC number and then allow me purchase of gift card with CC (anything over $200 in GC). And I checked my chase ink pending transaction is posting twice. Did anyone experienced the same ??

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
Thanks for the thread!
almost every card had the pin strip pulled loose, told him they were non-sale able that way
I kinda doubt there's some law about PIN strips. Caution would certainly be in order, of course.

OT but missing PIN strips are a sign of tampering. But even more likely (in, for example, grocery stores) they're a sign of policy-change -- a store where more and more cashiers say Cash Only (heh) is a store that will tend to have lotsa missing PIN strips. If you notice this when at the GC rack of an unfamiliar store, I humbly recommend...

1. Find GCs where the strip is still there.
2. Spend a little extra time guessing which cashier will likely be the best.

shootenducs

Level 2 Member
I din't have any problems. The one OM that usually is strict didn't say anything like that.

Do we need to call in to set a pin on these? Looks like I'm going to be getting to know my Walmart MC personal well!

mario

Level 2 Member
Yep. It is working. My store was out of $200 so I grabbed 3 $100. Total was 272.XX. :) So I raced over and bought 12 $100 cards at the store on the other side of town. The cashier looked at me a little funny, but he didn't make any noise. Not bad return on 30 min of driving around. I could do this all day...

Malvina

Level 2 Member
If you buy more than $300 (200 +100) or $ 400 (200+200) buy in separate transactions as you will get only one $15 on the whole receipt.

mario

Level 2 Member
Lame. I guess I will still try the other stores in my area, but I don't know if I will waste my time with the $100 cards. This was a pretty amazing #couponfail while it lasted. If the peeps are nice I might try 3 x $100 just to see what happens, but maybe not. I will report back if I am successful.

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
I believe OfficeDepot and OfficeMax are the same company now. Anybody know if I can get this deal (15 off 300 total) at an OfficeDepot (they're way closer to me)?

oso

Level 2 Member
I'm in the LA area -- only got $15 off 3 x $100 :(

Side note: they only give $1 per recycled cartridge too. Boo socal OfficeMax

RavenHawk

Level 2 Member
I believe OfficeDepot and OfficeMax are the same company now. Anybody know if I can get this deal (15 off 300 total) at an OfficeDepot (they're way closer to me)?
Not as of yesterday. Did anyone try today?
zceuxbhjutf, er..."Z", you are correct - OfficeMax and Office Depot merged last November. I do not have any Office Depots nearby so I cannot be certain, but for what it's worth, I have read that this is only working at OfficeMax.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
I was near an OD today so I went in and asked for the heck of it... The manager wasn't aware of the deal but called an OM and agreed to honor it.

They're Vanilla Visas, though. Not as easy to liquidate anymore...

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
they always seem to butcher this deal and discount more than their own terms. If they were clever they would use rebates like Staples which would "more strictly" limit to 1 per customer. Nice work on getting OD to PM!

RavenHawk

Level 2 Member
I was near an OD today so I went in and asked for the heck of it... The manager wasn't aware of the deal but called an OM and agreed to honor it.

They're Vanilla Visas, though. Not as easy to liquidate anymore...
That was definitely not the case for me...regular VGCs issued by MetaBank