Office Max/Depot gift cards

Stuck in KC

Level 2 Member
Saw on Frequent miler, a post regarding Office Max/Office Depot visa or mastercard gift cards. Buy $300, get either $15 or $20 off on purchase (can't remember which at the moment). Limit two deals. Hopped in my car and made my rounds. The stores in the greater KC area have no cards available in the five places I checked. Apparently it is like last year when they put the info out but forgot to give the store the scan sheets to actually take the money off . I have two stores holding cards for me in hopes they will have the scan sheets when I get off work tomorrow.

MK17

Love to Travel
I noticed the photo that was posted on Frequent Miler stated that this was only at Office Max...does Office Depot not follow the same offers?

cocobird

Level 2 Member
I noticed the photo that was posted on Frequent Miler stated that this was only at Office Max...does Office Depot not follow the same offers?
Yep - offers at Office Max are not always available at Office Depot and vice versa.

phantasmic

Level 2 Member
tried an office depot and they could not find the deal, although they said they are the same store and should have it now. tried office max and the cashier didn't have the barcode and was not aware of it, but after they checked with a supervisor who checked with a manager, the manager printed out a barcode for her to use. she let me buy 3 sets. yay!

MK17

Love to Travel
tried an office depot and they could not find the deal, although they said they are the same store and should have it now. tried office max and the cashier didn't have the barcode and was not aware of it, but after they checked with a supervisor who checked with a manager, the manager printed out a barcode for her to use. she let me buy 3 sets. yay!
Ran into the same issue in up state NY today. The manager had to go and look it up and came out and apologized to me, but he only let me get one set of $300 :-(

Abhflying

Level 2 Member
Good deal, Today did $2323 in 1 transaction. Took off $20 off every $300 increment. They made me fill out an form with my ID, oh well with INK it's worth it. Told them please fill your GC racks, will return again in 2 days :)

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Some OfficeMax stores will give $30 off for $600 and $60 off for $1200. In my experience, those are the ones where they have to scan a bar code into the system to apply the discount. I did 5x$600 purchases of AGC on last weeks OM deal, and paid $590.85 for each purchase of 3x$200 AGC, which was more than enough to offset even the cost of buying grocery store GC and MO to unload them.

I have no choice but to max out on the current deal, then lay low until it comes up again. Screw Staples, OfficeMax for the win!

druiddation

Level 2 Member
Beware google maps. I had some free time today and checked for the nearest OfficeMax. I ended up at one of their distribution centers. After the OD merger 3 of my old standby OM's have closed down and thought I'd found another option.

PointsEarner615

Level 2 Member
The bar code should be in their white binder at Office Max.

The bar code sheet will say "Limit 1", but I showed the promotion picture posted over at Frequent Miler for "Limit 2", and that did the trick. I'm curious as to how they enforce their "Limit 2 per household/business". The Office Maxs in my area are very stingy and will try to stick with the "Limit 1" from the bar code sheet.

tobyrocks

Level 2 Member
2 of the 3 stores I went to had a yellow sign on top of the gift card rack that had the sale information on it. Thankfully it said "Limit 2" on it so there was no question on the limits. Since this was my first time at OM I didn't try to stretch it further just yet.

Alek

Level 2 Member
My OM took $13.34 of each $200 GC ( i got 3x$200 ) for a total of $40. There was no need to scan anything. Guy just pressed some button on register. I still had to remind him about the discount pointing to yellow sign at the top of the rack.

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
I've been doing this deal for a while. I think the POS will allow as many $15 off $300 as the total allows. So $1600 would yield 5 x $15 off. The thing is the POS requires a managers over ride for transactions over $500. This leads to a manager scrutinizing the transaction. Currently I am not risking it. I just do multiple 2x$200 s and avoid the manager. The offer on the gift card racks says 1 offer per person, but none of the cashiers read the fine print or care. I get 4 transaction of $400 ea. Discount comes off automatically. They don't have to scan anything.

Craig

Level 2 Member
I've been doing this deal for a while. I think the POS will allow as many $15 off $300 as the total allows. So $1600 would yield 5 x $15 off. The thing is the POS requires a managers over ride for transactions over $500. This leads to a manager scrutinizing the transaction. Currently I am not risking it. I just do multiple 2x$200 s and avoid the manager. The offer on the gift card racks says 1 offer per person, but none of the cashiers read the fine print or care. I get 4 transaction of $400 ea. Discount comes off automatically. They don't have to scan anything.
Any data points on splits using AmEx Sync for the 12/19-12/24 $15 off $300 OD/OM offer?
The system is not currently applying $15 off multiples of $300, only the first $300. You need to ring up separate transactions to get the discount multiple times.

I only had the OD/OM Sync offer on one card, so can't speak to splitting payment. The system will let you do it, it's up to the cashier whether they will allow multiple payment types.

Craig

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the heads up. There must have been a change to the POS system recently not allowing multiple $15 offs in one transaction.
I believe the system was updated during the last round of these discounts, when the TOS was updated to say "1 per customer." No big deal, just have to be convincing to the cashier and willing to walk away with less than you had hoped to spend. Currently at around $12k for this go around, which compounds nicely with the 2% back from OD/OM. Just wish I would have had the 2% earlier in the year...

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
I believe the system was updated during the last round of these discounts, when the TOS was updated to say "1 per customer." No big deal, just have to be convincing to the cashier and willing to walk away with less than you had hoped to spend. Currently at around $12k for this go around, which compounds nicely with the 2% back from OD/OM. Just wish I would have had the 2% earlier in the year...
Are you running into the issue where your rewards account is only being accepted the first 3 transactions, then the 4th requires a manager's override?

Craig

Level 2 Member
Are you running into the issue where your rewards account is only being accepted the first 3 transactions, then the 4th requires a manager's override?
You seem to have jinxed me! Just made two additional transactions at a store I stopped at this morning and the register required an override on each transaction