NOMINATE HERE: 2014 Q4 Charity Nominations - HUNGER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Please use this thread to nominate your charities for the Q4 category of Hunger. The nominations will close on 9/15/2014 (Re0pened on 9/22 for more options) at which time the Mod team will examine, discuss and shortlist charities. These finalists will be put forward to a poll/vote with the winner being supported for Q4 2014.

Criteria for nominations:
  • Must be nonprofit or equivalent
  • Must be at least 3 years old
  • Must meet our quarterly focus
  • Should be at least 80% efficient (% of money that goes to program expenses)
    • Note: If your charity is less than 80% efficient, you can still make a case for why they should be selected.
Template for nominations:
  • Name:
  • Physical Headquarters Location:
  • Web URL:
  • Starting Year:
  • Efficiency:
  • Type of Charity:
  • Basic Description/Mission Statement:
  • Why you are nominating them?:
Suggested Resources:
Note - please only post nominations in this thread - any discussion of the nominations or questions about the process are to be held in the discussion thread (this makes it easier for us to manage).

Last edited:

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I'll get the ball rolling...
  • Name: Action Against Hunger | ACF International
  • Physical Headquarters Location: New York, NY
  • Web URL: http://www.actionagainsthunger.org
  • Starting Year: 1979
  • Efficiency: 85.9%
  • Type of Charity: Hunger | International Relief
  • Basic Description/Mission Statement: Action Against Hunger | ACF-USA is part of the ACF International Network, an agency established specifically to combat global hunger. The mission of Action Against Hunger is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations of conflict, war and natural disaster. From crisis to sustainability, we tackle the underlying causes of malnutrition and its effects by using our expertise in nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy. By integrating our programs with local and national systems we further ensure that short-term interventions become long-term solutions.
  • Why you are nominating them?: They assist in a number of different countries and have a wealth of expertise in dealing with crises.

penncomm

Level 2 Member
  • Name: Samaritan's Purse
  • Physical Headquarters Location: North Carolina
  • Web URL: http://www.samaritanspurse.org/
  • Efficiency: 93%
  • Founded: 1970
  • Type of Charity: Disaster Aid
  • Basic Description/Mission Statement: Specialize in meeting critical needs for victims of conflict, disaster, famine, and epidemics throughout the world, often working through ministry partners on the ground.
  • Why you are nominating them?: When I flew to Tacloban, Philippines to lend a hand to with my friends after last year's Typhoon, Samaritan's Purse was there in the poorest of the poor areas providing food and supplies. I had the honor of working alongside them.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Not your typical hunger charity, but hang in there. Disregard. This will be reposted for the next quarter since it is more about health than hunger. Thanks StammesOpfer

• [*]Name: The Morgan Jayne Project
    [*]Physical Headquarters Location: Roatan, Honduras

[*]Web URL: http://www.themorganjayneproject.com/
    [*]Efficiency: 90%+ if funds are given to the Dawn Land Foundation (registered in Canada), 100% if infant formula is purchased in a state with no sales tax on it and delivered or shipped to their Florida office.

[*]Founded: 2006
    [*]Type of Charity: Support for women AIDs and prevention of the spread of HIV from infected mothers to their children through breast milk.

[*]Basic Description/Mission Statement: Support for women with HIV and AIDs and prevention of the spread of HIV from infected mothers to their children through breast milk. Their greatest need is infant formula (food) so these mothers can keep their babies from going hungry without giving them the HIV virus.

[*]Why you are nominating them? We didn't really choose to celebrate our anniversary in Roatan this year, instead Roatan chose us by being the only Caribbean destination we could find seats to. We loved Roatan, but we also learned about the damage done by some of the worst travelers out there. Assholes who travel to third world countries and prey on poor women cause the HIV and AIDs rates to skyrocket on nearly every third world paradise island where cruise ships anchor. We didn't spend $500 in Roatan on our trip, but we can make a world of difference to these families.

Last edited:

StammesOpfer

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
@KennyBSAT
Thank you for the suggestion however I think this does probably fall into health more than hunger. It deals with food but the mission is health.

I would like to use this as an example to everyone. We understand that you have charities that you feel strongly about. Keep in mind that we will be rotating categories. If your favorite charity doesn't fit this time around please hold off until an appropriate quarter and/or suggest something that fits this quarters category. This is not to say that your charity is not worthwhile or anything against you personally. We just need to try and keep things organized.

Thanks.

P.S. I know I am breaking our own rule about only nominations in this thread but wanted this here for others to see before they post.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Nominations are closed, we will review and should both fit the criteria put them forward for a vote.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Thread is re-opened. We will not be proceeding with Samaritans Purse as they have allocated donations to non-cause items. We do so with all due respect to Penncomm for suggesting them, and I think that him actually being out there and helping is amazing. I want to close the proposal thread again soon, so if we can let it run for 24hrs more, and hopefully gather a few more options prior to review and voting.

IF you have a suggestion for a charity, please put it below, if you can take the time to do so as follows:

Template for nominations:
  • Name:
  • Physical Headquarters Location:
  • Web URL:
  • Starting Year:
  • Efficiency:
  • Type of Charity:
  • Why you are nominating them?:
That would be much appreciated. Realize that it is likely that there will be less than a handful of options, so if you care about a charity, take 5 minutes to fill out the details as per above, and if they are selected as winner it is likely they will get a nice, 4 figure donation this year.

SherryFD

Level 2 Member
  • Name: Stop Hunger Now
  • Physical Headquarters Location: Raleigh, NC
  • Web URL: http://www.stophungernow.org/
  • Starting Year: 1998
  • Efficiency: 86.54% (2012 per Charity Navigator)
  • Type of Charity: International hunger relief agency
    Mission Statement: To end hunger in our lifetime by providing food and life-saving aid to the world's most vulnerable and by creating a global commitment to mobilize the necessary resources.
    Description: Stop Hunger Now coordinates the distribution of food and other lifesaving aid to children and families in countries all over the world.Their primary focus has been on packaged meals that combine rice, soy, dehydrated vegetables and a flavoring mix including 21 essential vitamins and minerals into small meal packets. Each meal costs only 29 cents. The food stores easily, has a shelf-life of two years and transports quickly. They with international partners that ship and distribute the meals in-country.
    Stop Hunger Now currently provides over 70% of its meals to support transformational development programs such as school feeding programs, vocational training programs, early childhood development programs, orphanages, and medical clinics . Their goal is to allocate 80% of its meals to transformational development programs by 2015.
  • Why you are nominating them?: They have a very efficient process for distributing food to some of the world's most needy children and a focus on breaking the cycle of hunger in communities. I met the founder shortly after he started the organization (totally random meeting) and I was impressed with his vision then. I've continued to be impressed with their focus and growth. A few years ago a friend joined the Board and I recently learned that they are slowly expanding their focus to support projects in communities that will make food supply more sustainable - ie: providing funding for irrigation systems. I like the focus on sustainability as well as the starting small approach.

smittytabb

Staff member
  • Bread for the World Institute
  • Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
  • http://www.bread.org/
  • Efficiency: Financial score: 93.29/Program expenses: 82.9%
  • Starting year: 1972
  • Type of Charity: International Development, Relief Services
  • Basic Description/Mission Statement: Bread for the World Institute (BFWI) provides policy analysis on hunger and strategies to end it. The Institute educates its advocacy network, opinion leaders, policy makers and the public about hunger in the United States and abroad. BFWI is the research and educational partner of Bread for the World, generating studies on hunger issues and vital educational resources. We believe that a well-educated and motivated U.S. constituency who care for hungry people will ultimately change the politics of hunger. BFWI helps U.S. citizens tell the story of hungry people in their communities and see our connections to hungry people around the world. By empowering people with information, Bread for the World Institute affects real progress toward ending hunger.
  • Why you are nominating them? This organization seeks to impact policy involving hunger and has an international scope.
*Of importance to this particular charity is this. One can donate either to Bread for the World or Bread for the World Institute. Bread for the World members lobby Congress on behalf of hungry and poor people, so gifts are not tax deductible. Bread for the World Institute is the research and educational partner of Bread for the World. Gifts to the Institute are tax-deductible. I chose the Institute because the donations could be considered tax-deductible.

johnny cash

Level 2 Member
I have a great organization. I don't have time, however, to provide all details. I do believe they meet all criteria:
http://www.masbia.org/
Mission statement:
Masbia is a nonprofit soup kitchen network and food pantry, everyday providing hot, nutritious meals for hundreds of New Yorkers in desperate need of food. Alongside our hot-meal program, we also give out bags of much needed groceries every week to those with not enough at home, through our weekend take-home package program. Masbia works to not only feed the hungry, but to provide free, wholesome, and delicious meals for people in a restaurant-style environment, with volunteer waiters serving each person with respect and dignity.
The mission statement says it all. If someone can fill in details, I would appreciate.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I have a great organization. I don't have time, however, to provide all details. I do believe they meet all criteria:
http://www.masbia.org/
Mission statement:
Masbia is a nonprofit soup kitchen network and food pantry, everyday providing hot, nutritious meals for hundreds of New Yorkers in desperate need of food. Alongside our hot-meal program, we also give out bags of much needed groceries every week to those with not enough at home, through our weekend take-home package program. Masbia works to not only feed the hungry, but to provide free, wholesome, and delicious meals for people in a restaurant-style environment, with volunteer waiters serving each person with respect and dignity.
The mission statement says it all. If someone can fill in details, I would appreciate.
If you don't have time then I certainly don't :)

Here are some financials http://pdfs.citizenaudit.org/2013_08_EO/27-0363356_990_201206.pdf

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
OK locking this down again, hopefully we will be able to shortlist to a voting stage soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.