No 5X points with Ink if your cell phone service is...

cavil

Level 2 Member
...Project Fi.

Just switched from T-mo to Project Fi and naturally continued to use Ink Bold expecting to get 5x points.
Sadly no. It does not appear to be a bonus category.

I SM'd Chase and they responded:
"Since the merchant in question was not assigned an
appropriate category, your purchase at GOOGLE *Project FI
did not qualify for this reward."

I sent them a copy of my project Fi bill which clearly showed it was for cell phone and data charges. They explained that Visa is responsible for setting the category and that Chase has no discretion in the matter. I was pleased that they gave me the 5x bonus as a courtesy for this month only.

On the plus side my monthly OnStar subscription does appear as a bonus category.

phantasmic

Level 2 Member
Have a Fi ready phone and invite but haven't switched yet. Good to know, thanks for posting. BTW do you like the service?

cavil

Level 2 Member
Have a Fi ready phone and invite but haven't switched yet. Good to know, thanks for posting. BTW do you like the service?
Very pleased with Fi so far. International calls and data worked seamlessly when I was in Canada last week.

bgh10788

Level 2 Member
Well this is unfortunate. I was looking at changing providers when the new phones come out in the next few months because of the international calls and data benefits.

Have you seen any issues with switching between wifi and cell? How was porting your number over if you did it? I read that I would lose my Google Voice number in the changeover which is unfortunate but not a deal breaker.

cavil

Level 2 Member
Well this is unfortunate. I was looking at changing providers when the new phones come out in the next few months because of the international calls and data benefits.

Have you seen any issues with switching between wifi and cell? How was porting your number over if you did it? I read that I would lose my Google Voice number in the changeover which is unfortunate but not a deal breaker.
My old T-Mo number ported over to Fi. I just provided the number during the Fi sign up process and they took care of everything.
The wifi/cell switching has been seamless so far---I don't even notice it.
Yes Google voice does go away.

My biggest adjustment is getting used to the new Nexus 6 phone. It is so huge compared to my old phone that I feel like I'm holding a Kindle up to my ear to make calls. Love the big screen for everything else though.

In the grand scheme of things, losing the 5x points for this service is not that many points. My bill is $30-40 a month so I am only missing out on 120-160 UR's per month. Buy a couple of $500 VGC's at -4 and that's about 1010 UR's in a single transaction.

cappy

Level 2 Member
Indeed the Fi service is so cheap, I'll take the $30 phone bill and lose the 5x points I would have gotten from my $150 Verizon bill, that's just me though.

Strange though that they don't even consider Google as "internet services", oh well !

:D

oopl

Silver Member
I am considering signing up for GoogleFi after getting the invite. Good to know 5x won't post with the ink.

Someone

Level 2 Member
Strange though that they don't even consider Google as "internet services", oh well !

:D
Fwiw I've only ever seen Google bill with an mcc under advertising services. There are some biz cards that bonus advertising (3x I think) - Amex gold and us bank select rewards both let you choose it as a category.

We spend a lot on googles cloud services (not Adwords) these days and that also comes through as advertising.