New York to Portugal

midnightinharlem

Level 2 Member
1. What route are you looking for?

Looking to spend a few days in Lisbon and Porto, leaving from New York.

2. What dates do you want to travel (mention how flexible you are)?

8/6 - 8/16 (preferable), 9/3 - 9/13, or 9/24 - 10/4, give or take one day

3. Do you want to fly first, business, or coach? (maybe also "are you willing to fly coach for a positioning flight")

Coach is fine

4. How many passengers?

5. How many points do you have, in which programs?

AA 888k, BA 150k, DL 132k, UA 0k
UR 363k, MR 347k, SPG 91k

I couldn't find any OneWorld availability, which was disappointing. However, I've been searching on United and finding Coach Saver award availability (60k/each) on EWR - LIS leaving 8/6, but can't find anything on the return from anywhere in Europe other than LHR and BFS.

I see a Business Saved award on the return out of OPO, and thinking of doing that (100k/each):
8/6 EWR - GVA, spend a day in Geneva
8/8 GVA - LIS

book a flight/train from LIS to OPO

8/16 OPO - LIS - EWR [Business Class]

How am I doing / any suggestions?

smittytabb

Staff member
1. What route are you looking for?

Looking to spend a few days in Lisbon and Porto, leaving from New York.

2. What dates do you want to travel (mention how flexible you are)?

8/6 - 8/16 (preferable), 9/3 - 9/13, or 9/24 - 10/4, give or take one day

3. Do you want to fly first, business, or coach? (maybe also "are you willing to fly coach for a positioning flight")

Coach is fine

4. How many passengers?

5. How many points do you have, in which programs?

AA 888k, BA 150k, DL 132k, UA 0k
UR 363k, MR 347k, SPG 91k

I couldn't find any OneWorld availability, which was disappointing. However, I've been searching on United and finding Coach Saver award availability (60k/each) on EWR - LIS leaving 8/6, but can't find anything on the return from anywhere in Europe other than LHR and BFS.

I see a Business Saved award on the return out of OPO, and thinking of doing that (100k/each):
8/6 EWR - GVA, spend a day in Geneva
8/8 GVA - LIS

book a flight/train from LIS to OPO

8/16 OPO - LIS - EWR [Business Class]

How am I doing / any suggestions?
I go to Portugal every year as my husband does work there annually. Let me just start by suggesting aside from finding your way over the pond, that flying between Lisbon and Porto may not be the easiest or even most desirable choice. We have driven it, but most recently we just took the train. It is a pleasant trip via rail and super easy. Distances are shorter than you might be thinking.

If you find something on miles, grab it, especially in summer. Since my husband's flight is paid, I often look for something on miles but rarely find it. I've flown the TAP Portugal Business on miles and it is nice. You don't hear much about it, but it is a good option.

Another option you may not have considered is flying through the Azores. SATA has low fares and I have also done that if you want to see another part of Portugal as a stop along the way. You might consider booking one way on miles and the other way through the Azores. It is gorgeous there.

BTW, lusophile and lusophone here. Adore the place. Hope you have a great trip!

TheBOSman

Staff member
If you find something on miles, grab it, especially in summer. Since my husband's flight is paid, I often look for something on miles but rarely find it. I've flown the TAP Portugal Business on miles and it is nice. You don't hear much about it, but it is a good option.
TAP Business looks good from afar, but the major reason it doesn't get mentioned much is that it has so few North American destinations. Only EWR and MIA I think. SATA actually has more destinations in flying to BOS, YYZ, and some services to YUL and OAK.