New Tires

tly

Level 2 Member
Looking to replace my current tires, no idea on what specific tires right now (will do tire research separately)... any suggestions on which stores/chains to look? Right now my default option is Costco, which would have good customer service but not much room for discounting and they have limited options. Sears is an option with discounted GCs (just got some from the recent SVM offer) and portal cashback, but their installation centers seem pretty hit or miss. Any other ideas?
Thanks!

volker

Level 2 Member
Costco & SamsClub have good offers when I checked last year. They also fix tires for free. I think with SamsClub they even repair tires that where not sold there.

When I got my tires four years ago I requested a quote from various local tire dealers. Price for four tires + change + alignment etc was between $800 and $1250. Comparison definitely paid off. After that experience I will always look the tire I want and then request a quote from at least 5 tire dealers.

I know Sears matched a few years ago any offers. I didn't check with Costcos at that time.

DavidNJ

Level 2 Member
I've bought tires @ Sears on two different occasions. Both times I bought eGC's through the Southwest portal when there were 10x points or higher per $. I turned around and bought tires through the Southwest portal getting the same 10x points or better. It was about two years ago but I believe my haul of Southwest points was over 25K. Father's Day is coming up so there will probably be some decent deals. Sears has an excellent selection of tires and the prices were very competitive. Having the companion pass, it was enough for the Wife and I for a r/t to Aruba.

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
I always seem to have Amazon money due to Amazon GCs etc so I look there first. Last time, I then took them to Sears and haggled for the price I wanted for mounting. Then I paid Sears with SearsGCs. Each one is probably different, but my Sears required a service reservation. You'd think that'd make them quicker but they were extremely slow.

I didn't get an alignment, but for my next alignment I think I'm gonna try and do it myself. Shops will wanna go by the manufacturer spec, and I disagree with my truck's spec so I wanna experiment a little.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I'd grab Costco with 5x on the Freedom while you can (till 7/1), and call it a day there. Certain things are worth splurging a little extra for peace of mind, and for that I always go with Costco on tires.

Could be naivete, but I don't really trust Sears to exist in a couple years.

Granted, I've been saying that for years.

hooha23

Level 2 Member
Usually tires are an "I need it now or soon" kind of purchase, but if you can wait, and if you want a tires outside of Costco/Sam's inventory, keep an eye on SD for discount tire direct's sales.

They commonly combine $100 of $400 with manufacturer rebates.

A couple months ago, I got 4x Nitto Motivos for 336 - 70 prepaid card rebate = 266. Paid a local shop that I go to ~100 bucks to mount and balance them and provide free rotations/mount.

Added bonus: no sales tax for me. Sales tax in my area is 9-10%.

Here was their latest deal: https://slickdeals.net/f/8771967-discount-tire-direct-memorial-day-sale-get-up-to-320-in-visa-pre-paid-card-rebate-on-tires-and-wheels?all

kodiak jack

Level 2 Member
Sears is a great idea b/c of stacking that you mentioned. You sound pretty savvy so you might also try this: i got the craziest good deal on tires i could imagine. Buy from Discount Tire Direct as hooha23 says, but buy from their EBAY site when they have a good sale and there's an 8% or 10% back ebay bucks offer, and when the manufacturer offers a rebate. You can pay with a discounted ebay GC or earned ebay bucks.

The stacking is immense here. A local installer will do them for ~$20/tire. I saved legit $400 on 2 sets of tires last year, and that was vs Costco pricing which i already find to be very good.

DavidNJ

Level 2 Member
Sears / Southwest is especially rewarding if you have the companion pass. I consider points worth double w/ the pass. The value I received for buying $1,400 worth of tires was 2 r/t to Aruba that would have cost me $1K. I also received the rebates which I believe were $140 for two sets of tires and points when buying the GC's w/ a CC. Lastly, I also got SYW points.

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
When we do point valuations, the answer is in units of cents per point. Later when we need a flight, we can pay with either cents or points.

Since the companion will fly free either way, sorry, but you can't honestly double the valuation.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
When we do point valuations, the answer is in units of cents per point. Later when we need a flight, we can pay with either cents or points.

Since the companion will fly free either way, sorry, but you can't honestly double the valuation.
Psh, quit using logic to accurately calculate value. You know that's not welcome when talking about points!

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
FWIW everybody's car should carry a tire plug repair kit, it's a very easy repair. (And probably a 12V air pump too.)

Reason being, you can plug a nail hole in a tire without removing the wheel. Switching to your spare is about 100 times more work.

lochquel

Level 2 Member
FWIW everybody's car should carry a tire plug repair kit, it's a very easy repair. (And probably a 12V air pump too.)

Reason being, you can plug a nail hole in a tire without removing the wheel. Switching to your spare is about 100 times more work.
Yes, repair kits are a cheap stuck-in-the-middle-of-nowhere insurance plan. Saved my butt more than once. Highly recommended.

Shane

Level 2 Member
Belle Tire has a $30 off $100 Amex sync deal. I just used this to replace some pricy tires on my S7. There are also a few promos they were running for specific brands that might get you another $75-$100 plus there is a $20 coupon out there too. My local belle tire let me pay with 12 different Amex cards. They also matched lowest prices I could find in the area. So all in all it was a pretty good deal for me.

tly

Level 2 Member
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm leaning towards using local Discount Tire location (more convenient for me than Sears), get them to price match whatever I find online... will keep an eye on Discount Tire Direct (or its eBay store) and Tire Rack since I don't need them right away.
Now on to the actual tire research... and buying a repair kit.

ct22025

I know it's an old thread, but I'm new so I can necropost. :) I'll give you my favorite tire replacement trick. It's one-time use only. IF your car has a full size spare tire and it's new or in good shape, you can replace only three of your current tires and use that spare as the fourth. Then you take one of your old tires and use it as your spare. Downside is you'll want to buy 3 tires that match that spare, so you're kinda limited, and obviously if your current tires are entirely bald then this isn't a great idea. Otherwise, you can reduce your cost by 25% if your car already has a new tire as a spare.