New Forum Theme

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Folks,

I'm working on a new look for the forum. I'd be keen to hear some feedback about what is missing from it that you liked in the old theme - things like navigation, etc..

In the interim, if you hate the new look, you can swap back by hitting the link in the bottom left corner and changing it back to default view. Hit the tab 'Saverocity New Theme' to revert.

smittytabb

Staff member
Hey Folks,

I'm working on a new look for the forum. I'd be keen to hear some feedback about what is missing from it that you liked in the old theme - things like navigation, etc..

In the interim, if you hate the new look, you can swap back by hitting the link in the bottom left corner and changing it back to default view. Hit the tab 'Saverocity New Theme' to revert.
You can also get the old theme by linking to the forum directly from saverocity.com

Yeshu

Level 2 Member
The new theme is not that great. Everything is so huge...definitely looks modern, but everything is oversized...reverted to the old theme immediately.

thehustla

Level 2 Member
Agree with with the feedback so far about everything being oversized. I really like the modern look, but with the new layout, you need to do a lot more scrolling and can potentially lose track.

Like the default better as it has a simple yet cleaner design which makes everything easier to read.

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
Indeed, the new one seems tablet-optimized or something.

Things important for me:
- trending/new threads box
- 'watched social forums' link
- 'forums' link in the home>forums>stuff breadcrumbs bar

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Great feedback, thanks guys. I'll tweak the new theme, but also keep the original one.

One thing that I find myself doing is switching directly to the new posts view whenever I log in. I find the 'front' of the forum is too unwieldy. Do you think that the splash page being new posts only would be an improvement?

Any other ideas?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Great feedback, thanks guys. I'll tweak the new theme, but also keep the original one.

One thing that I find myself doing is switching directly to the new posts view whenever I log in. I find the 'front' of the forum is too unwieldy. Do you think that the splash page being new posts only would be an improvement?

Any other ideas?
YES!

Also, if one could click on "New Posts" at the end of a thread, instead of scrolling or jumping back to the top of the page in order to do so, that would be lovely, Matt.

Haley

I am not a robot
My default way of viewing any forum is 'new posts.'

Ok, took a look at the new theme, not a fan. Although I like the colors. I agree, too big.

Last edited:

madage

Level 2 Member
YES!

Also, if one could click on "New Posts" at the end of a thread, instead of scrolling or jumping back to the top of the page in order to do so, that would be lovely, Matt.
Agree a new posts button at the bottom would be very welcome!

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
Here are the before/after screenshots I took the other day.
You can't even see the body of the 1st message.

Sav-before.PNG Sav-after.PNG

jmw

Level 2 Member
I've been working on my own websites to make them mobile friendly, so I understand the push before the Google mobilegeddon update. I'm so glad I'm done already. :)

But I think your new theme needs work (yesterday's version). I don't like it. I agree that not having any content visible below the fold is a big minus. Today's version still has that problem due to the ad at the top. Fonts were too large yesterday. I'm guessing both are related. And where did the thumbs up/down go?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've been working on my own websites to make them mobile friendly, so I understand the push before the Google mobilegeddon update. I'm so glad I'm done already. :)

But I think your new theme needs work (yesterday's version). I don't like it. I agree that not having any content visible below the fold is a big minus. Today's version still has that problem due to the ad at the top. Fonts were too large yesterday. I'm guessing both are related. And where did the thumbs up/down go?
Thx. Will give it some thought. Thumbs up etc is still there...

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Forgive me if this is a silly question but nothing changed at all on what I see....The look is the same today as it was yesterday and last week. What am I missing? I haven't altered any of my settings at all.