New Diners Club 3x @ groceries and drug stores high AF

DL172

Level 2 Member
Hi everyone,

I just joined today, but still want to make some contributions. I'm going to get the diners club elite card shortly (need to finish up some sign up bonuses), because I think it's probably one of the best and most over looked cards out there. I didn't see any posts. It isn't really marketed by blogs (no affiliate commission)

It gives 3x points at gas stations (pump only), groceries, and drug stores. However, there is no sign up bonus and a $300 annual fee not waived. Okay, so why is this card so good? The points transfer to Alaska airlines.

Last edited:

pillow25

Level 2 Member
Another reason that the points are good is that you can transfer to SPG. Sure it's not 1:1, but its another way to earn SPG pointso on a category multiplier.

clp311

I see $300 as a premium for redeeming aspirational awards with Alaska and hotel transfer ratios. WWith the exception Hyatt, DC hotel transfer ratios are quite favorable.

loves2fly

Gold Member
I've seen an offer on aarp site about Chase AARP CC with sign up bonus of $100 wys $500 in 3 months and it gives unlimited CB of 3% on restaurants and gas stations, 1% for everything else. There is NO ANNUAL FEE for this card.

ETA: please disregard this useless info.

Last edited:

ftomasze

I've seen an offer on aarp site about Chase AARP CC with sign up bonus of $100 wys $500 in 3 months and it gives unlimited CB of 3% on restaurants and gas stations, 1% for everything else. There is NO ANNUAL FEE for this card.
Cashback is not the same as points.

For example -- This card earns SPG points at 1.8pts/$. My last SPG redemption was at 0.035cent/point. Its comparing apples to oranges but if I were to earn and redeem this stay on the DC elite card thats an effective return rate of 6.3%.

Also, depending on your location MS at gas stations can be very limited.

ftomasze

Hi everyone,

I just joined today, but still want to make some contributions. I'm going to get the diners club elite card shortly (need to finish up some sign up bonuses), because I think it's probably one of the best and most over looked cards out there. I didn't see any posts. It isn't really marketed by blogs (no affiliate commission)

It gives 3x points at gas stations, groceries, and drug stores. However, there is no sign up bonus and a $300 annual fee not waived. Okay, so why is this card so good? The points transfer to Alaska airlines.
The points also transfer to WN and per reports on other forums they produce CPQP.

loves2fly

Gold Member
Cashback is not the same as points.

For example -- This card earns SPG points at 1.8pts/$. My last SPG redemption was at 0.035cent/point. Its comparing apples to oranges but if I were to earn and redeem this stay on the DC elite card thats an effective return rate of 6.3%.

Also, depending on your location MS at gas stations can be very limited.
I apologize for cluttering the thread with useless info to ya'll.

F

Fuerza

Diners MasterCard isn't 3points at gas stations it's 3 points pay at the pump. Not trying to split hairs, but that is critical information.

smittytabb

Staff member
How would they tell the difference? Other CC companies can't seem to...
I don't know, but they do. I had an Amex sync offer with Mobil that was "pay at the pump". The pump malfunctioned and I had to pay inside. I figured, how could they tell? I failed to get the cash savings credited to my account because I paid inside, not at the pump.

DL172

Level 2 Member
Just some speculation, but it might depend on a particular gas station. We can't really be certain based on one datapoint. Furthermore, many convenience stores located within a gas station, might bill as a different merchant than the pump.

smittytabb

Staff member
Just some speculation, but it might depend on a particular gas station. We can't really be certain based on one datapoint. Furthermore, many convenience stores located within a gas station, might bill as a different merchant than the pump.
Of course, just giving one to the mix.

MikeY

Level 2 Member
Has anyone actually applied and been accepted for this card? If so, what CL did you get? I'm thinking of applying in the next few months and am wondering how easy it would be to put MS volume through it.

cubsfan23

Level 2 Member
In general, paying at the pump intially sends a hold of $50/75/100 to the CC, then sends the final charge through after you're done. Perhaps DC uses this to determine if you paid at the pump.

Marcus

Level 2 Member
I'm planning on getting this card as it seems to have a good rate of return in bonus categories, do you think if I spend 25k a month in 3x categories that I will get shut down? I wanna have this card for a long term strategy.

Jack

Keep Calm and Carry On
...do you think if I spend 25k a month in 3x categories that I will get shut down?
I don't know of any history to go by because as far as I know Harris has never been a player in rewards cards. I think their other reward cards have only been 1% cards in the past. So how much infrastructure would they have for monitoring activity? Will they be easy peasy or will they be nervous nellys? So far they are generous with credit limits up to 50K on these cards.

M

marathon man

I am not a reader of VFW but I came across this thread when trying to learn more about this card today. I had heard about it from someone a couple weeks ago and again at the Chicago Seminars when someone brought one out to show a few of us.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2014/09/27/diners-club-back-open-new-applications-heres-value-proposition/

If it charges a fee to transfer to airlines and takes long to do it that's bad

PS: As for the gas station inside outside thing, I cannot tell how they know but they do and it matters. In my area there's nothing you can do for MS anyway.

Marcus

Level 2 Member
I am not a reader of VFW but I came across this thread when trying to learn more about this card today. I had heard about it from someone a couple weeks ago and again at the Chicago Seminars when someone brought one out to show a few of us.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2014/09/27/diners-club-back-open-new-applications-heres-value-proposition/

PS: As for the gas station inside outside thing, I cannot tell how they know but they do and it matters. In my area there's nothing you can do for MS anyway.

Any idea on the fees to transfer points? I plan on doing 10k a month to start out. I think it's another way to build up miles quickly especially since the three letter pharmacy is still easy to purchase OVs at, reload its are off limits to me, if that ever opens up I would definitely use that route to keep the fees low.

M

marathon man

A wise man I know of wanted to make sure this list was available:

1:1 airlines
Aeroplan
Alaska
British Airways
Delta
El Al
EVA
Frontier
Hawaiian
Icelandair
SAS
South African
Thai
Virgin Atlantic
Transfers 1:1 to Amtrak
Transfers 5:4 for DC:Southwest Rapid Rewards
Transfers 50:1 for DC:El Al
Hotels:
5 DC to 3 SPG
5 DC to 3 Hyatt
5 DC to 6 IHG
5 DC to 6 Marriott
5 DC to 8 Hilton
5208:10000 for DC:Choice Privileges
3788:10000 for Best Western

Marcus

Level 2 Member
not known. I figure it is still worth it tho.

Remember too, Target codes as grocery for many.

Anyway I found the FT thread and posted there as well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diners-club-club-rewards/1616024-two-new-diners-club-usa-mastercards-applications-accepted-first-time-since-2008-a-11.html#post23746808

Yeah your right Target seems like a winner with red bird and loading DC, I'm planning on taking 2 relatives from Indiana to get some for me. I think one way I'm going to try and look legit is adding regular spends and loading odd number loads $300.. 660..735 etc. those numbers don't look like gift card purchase etc. Will it take a few more loads to load $10k a month, sure but it looks better than having 5 $1000 on my DC every month. If I ran a bank I would be really curious why this Texan keeps buying $1000 merchandise every time. I really don't want to get shut down under a year especially being out $300, no thank you

Jack

Keep Calm and Carry On
LOL. It would be kinda rude of them to shut you down before you make the fee back. I don't have redbirds in my area yet but I think it will worth doing for that. My local Target showed as a grocery store for WF 5% card so it will hopefully be grocery for this bank too.

M

marathon man

It would show for visa and MC the same way universally.

As for the rude shut down thing, well, just look to Amex Blue to see if any CC issuer would ever do that lol

TheBOSman

Staff member
It would show for visa and MC the same way universally.

As for the rude shut down thing, well, just look to Amex Blue to see if any CC issuer would ever do that lol
Yeah, but they ought to at least give you the common courtesy of losing money on you before they shut you down :D.

Marcus

Level 2 Member
Out of the listed airlines which one has the best first class. I really want to fly Singapore airlines first class, but I'll gladly take a lye down seat on any of these other airlines to Europe or Asia

Jack

Keep Calm and Carry On
There is a thread on FT about this card and some people getting fraud alerts at Target. One poster got their card frozen. But that's kind of a Target issue these days. Apparently no problems at grocery stores and drug stores.

ftomasze

There is a thread on FT about this card and some people getting fraud alerts at Target. One poster got their card frozen. But that's kind of a Target issue these days. Apparently no problems at grocery stores and drug stores.
Im that user and Im here too. Still frozen.