Nest programmable thermostat

Dangjr213

Level 2 Member
  • Nest programmable thermostat (2nd gen)
  • Model number - T200577
  • MSRP - $249.99
  • Seems like my best best is discounted Lowes gift cards and the movers coupon
Anyone else have any ideas?

I've been wanting Nest for a while now but can't seem to make myself pull the trigger because my house has two thermostats which would mean buying two....

UNHBuzzard

Level 2 Member
I researched the hell out of this & your approach is the best I could find... then again I needed 1 thermostat & 8 protects in our new house. Although I did OBC & HD GC's at the grocery store vs discounted GC's. Either way, not many other options. I also bought Amazon GC's at OD for 5x w/ IB since their inventory was more reliable than HD's.

AZTravelGuy

Level 2 Member
Never pay more than $200. Also, at this point I would advise a number of alternatives that actually have better features - and many still work with IFTTT and other smart devices.

Since I have a beta thermostat and another non-beta thermostat that I've put in and out of the beta software track, I see a lot of the problems. There has been a ridiculous WiFi connectivity / intermittent disconnect issue since a November update pushed to everyone. There are lengthy threads in the Nest forums about it, it's an acknowledged issue with no fix as yet.

I do have a Protect as well. Frankly I fail to see the value. Connected is great but the price is absurd. I won't be replacing my additional smoke detectors with more Protects any time soon.

Dangjr213

Level 2 Member
Never pay more than $200. Also, at this point I would advise a number of alternatives that actually have better features - and many still work with IFTTT and other smart devices.

Since I have a beta thermostat and another non-beta thermostat that I've put in and out of the beta software track, I see a lot of the problems. There has been a ridiculous WiFi connectivity / intermittent disconnect issue since a November update pushed to everyone. There are lengthy threads in the Nest forums about it, it's an acknowledged issue with no fix as yet.

I do have a Protect as well. Frankly I fail to see the value. Connected is great but the price is absurd. I won't be replacing my additional smoke detectors with more Protects any time soon.

What alternatives do you suggest? I'm limited by the number of options because I have a heat pump and not all of the wireless thermostats work with heat pumps. For example, I really wanted the Insteon thermostat to go with the rest of my house but it doesn't work with heat pumps.

Burgertm

Level 2 Member
I'll admit, I bought my Nest mainly for how nice it looks. Its design fit in really well with a remodel we were doing. I haven't had any issues with the thermostat at all, but I'm only controlling a furnace/AC.

AZTravelGuy

Level 2 Member
Ecobee3 and Lyric are interesting alternatives if you haven't already invested in Nest. Lyric, as far as design goes, is a Nest rip-off. But it has some added features like using humidity in its algorithm (not just reporting what the humidity is, like Nest).