Need to cancel award ticket - how much will I pay?

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Hey guys,

This is what I dreaded and it's happening. I had a award travel international reservation on United scheduled to leave next week. I booked it as 2 separate one-ways instead of a round trip. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I will not be able to go.

I have no status with UA. I paid using Citi prestige. Travel insurance does not cover 'cancel for any reason' benefit in this case. Do I need to eat up $125 per reservation redeposit fee? That's $250 fee combined! Can I combine both these itineraries into one single one?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Can I combine both these itineraries into one single one?
That might work. And if you have a card with a travel credit like Amex Plat, that may cover the fee. You might also get hit with the extra $75 fee for change/cxl close to travel date. I forget whether that's 21 days or 7 days.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
That might work. And if you have a card with a travel credit like Amex Plat, that may cover the fee. You might also get hit with the extra $75 fee for change/cxl close to travel date. I forget whether that's 21 days or 7 days.
Thanks. I ended up canceling the whole trip. I did pay $125 instead of $250, after politely requesting to combine the itinerary.