Navigating 5/24 through 2018 Advice

projectx

Level 2 Member
Come January 2018 I will be at 4/24. The one sticking point is that I am an AU on my wife's CSR which won't fall off until September 2018. That means I will likely have to go through recon, but should be in the clear. I currently hold two NOBCs, Surpass, Citi Dividend, Cap1 Spark, Ink Plus, SW Plus, and an AU CSR.

My goal is earning UR, Alaska, and Southwest points. CSR is the most coveted. Here's my strategy:

January: Ink Preferred. One year in business reselling (gift cards), about $25k in revenue; Will this get it done? Now if it goes to recon (which it probably will), my Ink Plus is 99% MS. Will this spell trouble?

April: Old WF card falls off, now at 3/24. Cancel my AU card. Get CSR. Yes, I could just apply with the Ink Preferred but I'd rather not rock the boat too much, and I don't have an urgent need for it anyway. Now 4/24.

June: Starwood Personal and Business. Now 5/24

August: Alaska Personal and Business. Now 6/24

September: NOBC, PRG, and Cap1 Spark also gone. Sitting at 3/24

October: SW Premier. Back to 4/24.

February 2019: SW Plus to get my second Companion Pass (last held 2016-2017). Now, I currently hold the SW Plus but plan on cancelling it. Is a year off my record good enough for a churn? Sign up bonus posted January 2016.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Congratulations on the discipline of reaching 5/24. Our household is nowhere near that. Let's see if Starwood cards are still available in their current format come June... [Edit: looks like they will be, per new post at DoC.]

Last edited:

tree100

... Now, I currently hold the SW Plus but plan on cancelling it. Is a year off my record good enough for a churn? Sign up bonus posted January 2016.

Thoughts?
This thread is pretty old, but I'll bite in case it helps you, or someone else down the road as well. First, YMMV and everything changes in this space. However, I had the Premier and was ready to re-up CP. Closed it in September '17, applied for Premier in November '17 (3 months later-ish) and was instantly approved. You're still one year away, so who knows if their rules change, but as of 4 months ago one year would be PLENTY to "churn" the card, if you can even call it that.

projectx

Level 2 Member
@tree100 ... in light of Chase cracking down on opening a bunch of cards I actually abandoned this plan. Just got the CIP and CSR. Will get the United Explorer in May/June. After that, I'm done with Chase for now. Yes, the CP is valuable but I would be forgoing too many opportunities to get it. Still plan on getting those Alaska miles though. Other than that, I don't know... probably going to hit cash back sign up bonuses. The Alliant CU 3% card was on my list for MS purposes but according to slack channel I'm a part of they're now cracking down on rewards for obvious GC purchases.

calvarado58

@tree100 ... in light of Chase cracking down on opening a bunch of cards I actually abandoned this plan. Just got the CIP and CSR. Will get the United Explorer in May/June. After that, I'm done with Chase for now. Yes, the CP is valuable but I would be forgoing too many opportunities to get it. Still plan on getting those Alaska miles though. Other than that, I don't know... probably going to hit cash back sign up bonuses. The Alliant CU 3% card was on my list for MS purposes but according to slack channel I'm a part of they're now cracking down on rewards for obvious GC purchases.
Is BoA still proving Alaska Credit cards? I did 3 in an row last year but I read on a FB post that they are people were being denied. I am waiting a bit. Is that a good strategy?

projectx

Level 2 Member
Is BoA still proving Alaska Credit cards? I did 3 in an row last year but I read on a FB post that they are people were being denied. I am waiting a bit. Is that a good strategy?
You can still churn Alaska cards. It's a little more complicated now though. Read up on BoA's 2/3/4 rule, the 90-day rule, and about the credit limit hold over even when you cancel a card.