My first UA CC

3rddayfan

I know so many of you are very experienced travelers with much insight into the world of how to best travel and use a loyalty CC.

If you could pretend that this was your first United card, what would you do to "exploit" the card in a good way and accumulate United travel rewards to the fullest?

I just want to accumulate for 12.5 miles trips and be able to check a bag. Is my thinking too limted?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to use UA for international. Best value is in using it for that plus adding in a domestic free one way.

RavenHawk

Level 2 Member
I assume that you just received the United MileagePlus Explorer Card, so my advice to you would be to start with the basics: make sure to meet you minimum spending for your account and add an AU and have them make a purchase. This alone will net you at least 57,000 miles to start you on your way towards your goals.

As far as "exploiting" this card, before you dive in the deep end of the MS pool, get your feet wet by reading up on a few techniques and start small. Bear in mind that this card will only earn 1x spending on anything other than airfare tickets purchased through United, so you aren't going to be rolling in points anytime soon.

As far as limited thinking, there is no correct answer. Do what is right for you. For some, using UA miles domestically would be faux pas, but if that is your goal, have at it. Just keep in mind that once you have access to other miles/points, there are "less expensive" ways to get around domestically.

Best of luck!

United1K

Level 2 Member
To use the "free" check bag benefit, remember to purchase the UA ticket (2x pts) with your Explorer card, as the benefit is tied to your MP number/card. If you purchase a ticket without using your Explorer card, you will not receive the check bag benefit. Although, some have had success by showing their credit card to the agent at the airport during check-in. YMMV.

An additional benefit of the card, besides being able to board in Group 2, is the ability to obtain CPUs on award tickets; however, the upgrades are prioritized based on ticket fare class within each elite level. Unfortunately, if you have no status with UA, your chances of obtaining a CPU are slim to none. Also, if you have another person on your PNR when attempting to obtain a CPU, the system will automatically skip you due to companions of credit card holders (solely) not being eligible for CPUs.

Happy traveling!

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I know so many of you are very experienced travelers with much insight into the world of how to best travel and use a loyalty CC.

If you could pretend that this was your first United card, what would you do to "exploit" the card in a good way and accumulate United travel rewards to the fullest?

I just want to accumulate for 12.5 miles trips and be able to check a bag. Is my thinking too limted?
Congratulations. If you've chosen UA as your airline don't forget there is also a UA Biz Explorer-- I think the current offer is 50K but check me on that. (I confess, before I joined here I used UA domestically! They still let me post here,though.):) I don't know the ins and outs but folks here will be glad to help you find ways to transfer points to UA.

Huzordaddy

Level 2 Member
I used MS methods to spend 25000 on my Explorer card last year, got the 10,000 mile bonus, and it also waives some of the requirements to qualify for Premier status in MileagePlus. When the annual fee $95 came around again, I called in to Chase to cancel the card. They offered me a $150 credit to keep it, I suppose because I had been such a big spender for the year.