My first First booking.. Etihad or BA?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm living vicariously through Mrs Saverocity on this one, she is being assigned to Pune, India (college field trip) and with a bit of shuffling I can have her meet us up in London on the way home to NYC. Seems that AA India>LHR is super cheap (40k in F). We were all set on BA, lots of space from Mumbai, but then that swine Amol mentioned Etihad, and now BA looks like chopped liver.

Question:

In terms of product, if I book her on the A380 First Class is that an Apartment or a 'Suite' I'm confused by the terminology.. I think it means a reclining chair in an enclosed cabin type experience, but not sure exactly what an AA F ticket gets you - are there any "gotcha's" to watch out for?

In terms of routing, I'm assuming that AA will let me book PNQ>AUH>LHR... right?

Calling @tmount and other pros :)

TheBOSman

Staff member
A380 First Class is this bad boy:

AKA The Apartment.

PNQ-AUH-LHR depends if there is a through fare or not for that routing. However, I'd be nearly certain that there is.

Don't book BA if you can book EY, even if only to avoid the fuel surcharges alone!

$aver

Level 2 Member
I'm living vicariously through Mrs Saverocity on this one, she is being assigned to Pune, India (college field trip) and with a bit of shuffling I can have her meet us up in London on the way home to NYC. Seems that AA India>LHR is super cheap (40k in F). We were all set on BA, lots of space from Mumbai, but then that swine Amol mentioned Etihad, and now BA looks like chopped liver.

Question:

In terms of product, if I book her on the A380 First Class is that an Apartment or a 'Suite' I'm confused by the terminology.. I think it means a reclining chair in an enclosed cabin type experience, but not sure exactly what an AA F ticket gets you - are there any "gotcha's" to watch out for?

In terms of routing, I'm assuming that AA will let me book PNQ>AUH>LHR... right?

Shocked that such a highly regarded blogger doesn't know the answer for these questions:eek:.

Just so you know the first leg from India to AUH there won't be any apartments just a regular first class seat, since they don't fly an a380 on that route. The fun only begins from AUH to LHR.
And foreshore book Etihad over BA, it's not even a competition.

Eta: In May Etihad will start a380 service to India. So if this trip is after then you can get the apartment on both legs.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
EY has a PNQ-AUH-LHR F fare, so you should be good there.

I'd also look at some of the flight timings, the PNQ-AUH leg seems to depart at a somewhat anti-social hour...

Also, I've taken to calling AA downunder - the longest I've had to wait for an agent has been a couple of minutes. Pretty sure the calls all get routed to Fiji and they are seriously the nicest airline agents I've talked to.

Nick

smittytabb

Staff member
EY has a PNQ-AUH-LHR F fare, so you should be good there.

I'd also look at some of the flight timings, the PNQ-AUH leg seems to depart at a somewhat anti-social hour...

Also, I've taken to calling AA downunder - the longest I've had to wait for an agent has been a couple of minutes. Pretty sure the calls all get routed to Fiji and they are seriously the nicest airline agents I've talked to.

Nick
What is the AA down under phone number? I am AA EXP and I used to get right through to an agent. Since the merger, there is always a wait and I would like to experiment with calling elsewhere. Thanks in advance!

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
What is the AA down under phone number? I am AA EXP and I used to get right through to an agent. Since the merger, there is always a wait and I would like to experiment with calling elsewhere. Thanks in advance!
FTers are reporting that the domestic AA agents are unable to see the Etihad award space whereas the Oz agents see it without issue. This has been going on for several weeks.

I've flown both Etihad and BA F many times. All things being equal schedule and trip duration wise, I'd choose Etihad in a heartbeat. There is no comparison.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
I've used the New Zealand number recently: +6493084014.

I have some memory of also calling Australia, but can't actually see any in my skype history +61291011948.

They have all been good with searching space, and about waiving phone fees too.

tmount

Administrator

Question:

So, if you're thinking BA vs. Etihad, I think Etihad is the true winner from a hard product standpoint. @TheBOSman highlights the beauty of the Apartments. The consideration you need to incorporate though is whether flying the awesome product is worth the stop, and probable red-eye. If the BA flight is direct, then from a comfort standpoint, you have to decide which matters more. In some cases, you may also have to change terminals at AUH, which could mean having to re-clear security (although I don't believe this is the case going to the new terminal, I know it is going out of the old ones that remind me at least of Tatooine structures).

Overall though, for the same amount of miles and less out of pocket cost, Etihad's A380 Apartments is a perfectly nice flight. I flew it in March, had a nice meal, a healthy helping of Bollinger Champagne, and had a short (its only like a 5 hour flight) rest.

MLH

Level 2 Member
Don't mean to hijack Matt's thread here but for those who have flown in the Apartments, is it large enough for 2 to sit comfortably? There's only 1 F seat available, wondering if I can book my wife in F and myself in Y and hang out with her in the Apartment...

tmount

Administrator
Don't mean to hijack Matt's thread here but for those who have flown in the Apartments, is it large enough for 2 to sit comfortably? There's only 1 F seat available, wondering if I can book my wife in F and myself in Y and hang out with her in the Apartment...
Sit yes, Dine, yes, sleep, probably not. Your bigger question however is whether they would actually let you into the cabin. I've never witnessed it myself, but that's not to say it can't happen, I just kind've doubt it.

MLH

Level 2 Member
Sit yes, Dine, yes, sleep, probably not. Your bigger question however is whether they would actually let you into the cabin. I've never witnessed it myself, but that's not to say it can't happen, I just kind've doubt it.
Yes, I am a little skeptical as well. I read someone's trip report from the inaugural flight and they wouldn't let him (F passenger) go to the other deck to explore. I was hoping it wasn't policy and that if it was a husband/wife going to see their spouse they might bend the rules. I assume (maybe wrongly) that if I was in J instead of Y I might have better luck, but no J is open on the flight.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Yes, I am a little skeptical as well. I read someone's trip report from the inaugural flight and they wouldn't let him (F passenger) go to the other deck to explore. I was hoping it wasn't policy and that if it was a husband/wife going to see their spouse they might bend the rules. I assume (maybe wrongly) that if I was in J instead of Y I might have better luck, but no J is open on the flight.
They will not allow a spouse into F who isn't in F. You might be able to visit.

That said, find the person assigned the seat next to your spouse, and offer to switch seats and don't mention what seat you actually have. Just mention it is probably a better ;).

MLH

Level 2 Member
I've used the New Zealand number recently: +6493084014.

I have some memory of also calling Australia, but can't actually see any in my skype history +61291011948.

They have all been good with searching space, and about waiving phone fees too.
Called NZ twice today regarding EY, can confirm they're good about searching space, nice to talk to as well. Didn't mention any phone fee (haven't had domestic AA reps mention it either).

If anyone isn't sure about int'l calling on their plan, I used Skype. $.02/minute to NZ. Well worth it.

MLH

Level 2 Member
They will not allow a spouse into F who isn't in F. You might be able to visit.
That said, find the person assigned the seat next to your spouse, and offer to switch seats and don't mention what seat you actually have. Just mention it is probably a better ;).
Maybe we could spend our time together hanging out together in the lounge between J and F? :)
Actually ended up finding 2 J that work with our schedule. Almost hoping a solo F doesn't open up now... :D

TheBOSman

Staff member
Maybe we could spend our time together hanging out together in the lounge between J and F? :)
Actually ended up finding 2 J that work with our schedule. Almost hoping a solo F doesn't open up now... :D
If spouse is in J and you're in F, that should work :).

SOC 787

Flight Club
yeah they def arent gonna let Y pax come and hang out in the F Apt cabin for sure. unless its some kinda emergency, even then they'd rather relay the msg rather than having the unwashed masses up front lol.

just flew this route abt a cpl months ago and its def worth it, even w a detour from india (although I was flying direct)

@Matt's Qs: 1) A380 exclusively only has Apartments in the F cabin, well apart from the Residence. all other intl plane configs EY has, feature a fully enclosed Suite in F. BA's F I still consider the best J product around.
and its not just a reclining chair lol, she's in for a treat. both products turn into a fully flat bed w/nice & comfy bedding. w/the EY product even when the bed is made, you can recline your actual seat and STILL have room to walk around your Apartment ;) yes its that amazing!

lastly, that routing is def valid. however if you're anything like me and would like to maximize EY Apt time, I'd either drive to BOM or fly via Jet (AA partner) and then go BOM-AUH once EY puts an A380 on that route in a few months as well. since 4 segments per one-way are allowed, there shouldnt be any problems w/this routing and 3 segments.

and the best seat in the house to pick if you have the option:

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I'd ask about the Y VS F. I remember reading a trip report from one of the inaugural passengers. He asked the flight attendant to find someone from coach to come have breakfast (I think--a meal, anyway) with him.

They thought it was a lovely idea.