MR:Avios Transfer Rate Changing

Andrew Beall

Level 2 Member
Just saw on Travel with Grant that American Express is changing the MR > Avios transfer rate from 1,000:1,000 to 250:200. BA is one of the MR program's most valuable transfer partners, so this is a big devaluation IMO.

I just got the 100k Amex Platinum, and now I'm not sure what I want to do. Avios was one of the main reasons I got the card. I'm not sure if I want to convert all my MR to Avios now, just part of them, or none at all. I don't know what I want to do with these points. There are still some other transfer partners I might want to use (Flying Blue, ANA, Singapore, etc.). At least the change doesn't take effect until October 1...

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
Sigh, bad news.

If you don't need the Avios now wait until closer to Oct 1 and see if a transfer bonus crops up.

36902BRF

Level 2 Member
Yeah this is bad news. Interesting the drop is 20% exactly the same as the drop on earnings rate that was made on the Chase co-branded BA card last month (it went from 1.25 to 1 Avio per dollar spent). I agree I hope a transfer bonus crops up before October.

Also on Flying Blue you may want to read up on the issues some folks have had with opening a new account and dumping a bunch of MR points in there. There have been reports of folks getting their accounts locked because of fraud concerns by Flying Blue and having to go to an airport with an FB representative to get it resolve and often they have no clue. I am going to open an account and let it age a bit for possible future transfers.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Is everyone planning to make transfers before Oct. 1? or do some of you think a potential future bonus might make the rate better than 1:1 and gonna wait it out?

thehustla

Level 2 Member
Is everyone planning to make transfers before Oct. 1? or do some of you think a potential future bonus might make the rate better than 1:1 and gonna wait it out?
Really tough call. I highly doubt there will be any bonus offers before 10/1.
My plan is to transfer 100k before 10/1.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Out of 75k I'll probably transfer 40k or 50k to BA, where I have about 35k sitting. Just got the Everyday card today with it's increased signup bonus of 25k, so will keep that and the remainder for down the road I suppose.

36902BRF

Level 2 Member
I have already mostly transferred out my MR balance to BA. I don't know if/when there will be bonuses again and I find use in BA Avios so I figure I'll strike while I can. Post devaluation I don't know what I am going to do yet. Basically even with the bonus categories on the PRG it make more sense to move my spend over to SPG for BA but SPG points are much more valuable on other carriers (with a few exceptions). So what I'll do with MR going forward is something of an open question.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I ended up sending 45k. I usually redeem for the 4500 level flights on AA, CX, MH, or AS, so this gives me 10 trips plus those points I already have in BA.

HGF

Level 2 Member
I don't think they will be doing transfer bonuses anymore. I don't think Chase, the issuer of the BA card, liked it too much that a competitor of theirs had just as good a transfer ratio as them from UR.